duck boxes and tubes

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

duck boxes and tubes

Postby take'emgreenheads » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:12 pm

i would like to make some woody boxes and some mallard tubes. if you have any ideas on how to make them let me know. i heard that the boxes should have a drop out bottom, not real sure. i have never heared of the tubes though so any help will be great.
take'emgreenheads
hunter

Re: duck boxes and tubes

Postby klee7013 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:47 am

klee7013
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:50 am

On page 2 of wood box it says kerf it out. You can always nail metal screen so the duckling can climb up that.

The bottom clean out would be nice. But with ours we look inside then dig out. So we can count unhatched eggs and we have a box that does bad a couple years in a row it gets moved because it is doing more harm than good. Recommend keeping a log year to year for each box to help determine if they need to be moved or if they do great then locations similar to that others can be installed.

Good luck on Hen houses i have never made one. Thought about it for the local mallards just never get around to it.
klee7013
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:10 am

The Mallard Hen Houses really help the hens get a big hatch. Believe me I got a marsh on my place and we had hens with groups of 12 ducklings make it to flight nice to watch.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:02 pm

I made a tube last year. I used horse fence similiar too cattle woven wire but smaller squares. I cut the end so that I had wires sticking straight out, and bent them around to make hooks. Rolled the wired over and hooked it to form the inside tube. I weaved straw through it from the outside. Then I made a bigger tube filled it with straw enough to fit the smaller tube in but be tight. Zip tied them togeather. Next I took 4 inch aluminum angle iron and drilled holes through on top edge. With regular thick wire wrapped the tube and tightened it firmly through the holes. Welded the aluminum angle iron to an old aluminum pole I had laying around the barn. Last year nothing used it, this year I've got a pair on the pond everyday but I haven't seen them in the tube.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting