Flocked head help

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Flocked head help

Postby Honk-n-quack » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:38 pm

I just purchased some bfs from a guy, good deal just some of the flocking is worn and the gloss plastic is showing thru. How should I fix this? I was planning on spraying rustoleum flat black on a brush and then painting it on, but I don't want to melt the flocking or something bad like that. Also, maybe some tips on painting the cheek patches, they are more of a yellow cream color. Its probably not necessary but I'm Just finding some summer jobs to do :hammer: :hammer:
Only 6 months till early season :biggrin:
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Re: Flocked head help

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:54 am

First if their all in bad shape use an compressor to spray of the flocking. Then clean them off with soap and water. Second buy on the Avery/GHG Flocking hits and follow the directions. You can use Flat Black Rustoluem spray paint if your fine with painted heads.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:19 am

Just buy the brush on rustolium flat black. it leaves a thicker coat than the spray stuff and won't dry before you get the flocking on.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:34 am

I didn't recommend using spray paint if he was gonna flock it!
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby jeepman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:51 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Just buy the brush on rustolium flat black. it leaves a thicker coat than the spray stuff and won't dry before you get the flocking on.

I agree, use Rustolium flat black enamel to the touch up spots or sand and scape the heads back to plastic as best as you can, wash with soap and water, let dry then repaint and reflock the whole head. this will make them look clean and new. as for the cheeks i would just repaint with white. i bought my flocking kit from fowl flocker and it worked great, but i wouldn't flock the cheeks again they look great at first but now that they have a full season under them they look dirty and terrible.
finished head.JPG
jeepman
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:46 pm

What brand of floater is that? Is it final approach?
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby jeepman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:27 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:What brand of floater is that? Is it final approach?

They are, I have a dozon that i got cheap and they they get the job done. My only complaint with them is they don't make any different head positions. The flocking has held up well and was easy to do. like i said before i just wouldn't flock the cheeks again.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:19 am

I've been reflocking some of my older heads. It works great! Get a Donjer kit at flockit.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4
Takeem406
hunter

Postby jellotree » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Takeem406 wrote:I've been reflocking some of my older heads. It works great! Get a Donjer kit at flockit.com

Did you find the Dojher flock to shine a lot in the sun? For me, it didn't seem quite as rich of a black as new factory flock jobs. I used Donjer nylon flock with flat black oil based rustolium paint as the base. After I finished it all, I noticed the almost sparkley look to the flock. My fix was to go over it with oil based SEMI GLOSS black spray paint (rust paint). I know it sounds odd to use semi gloss, but when spraying over top of the flock, it doesn't shine and really gives it that deep black look. Flat black just matted it and it looked less natural.

Oh, and I found the bonus to a light spray over the flock is it literally makes it tough as nails.
jellotree
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum