Moving to Bozeman for college, Hows the Waterfowl?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Moving to Bozeman for college, Hows the Waterfowl?

Postby bandhunter20 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:55 pm

I grew up in the flathead valley and now live in fort collins colorado and might be coming to MSU and want to hunt up there. I have hunted in Drummond and around deer lodge and grew up hunting around missuola on the clark fork and rock creek. Just curious how the Madison, Galitan, and the Jefferson produce during the migration. I am more curious about the goose numbers that migrate through that area. Any info you guys got is appreciated.
Waterfowl hunting isn't a hobby, its a way of life.
Colorado Waterfowler
bandhunter20
hunter

Re: Moving to Bozeman for college, Hows the Waterfowl?

Postby phutch30 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Compared to some areas its good compared to others its poor. IF you can get access on private, which by now is likely almost impossible its great. Several members on here attend MSU, so you could look them up.

Also as a heads up. A new law went into effect Feb 28th 2013. As a Montana nonresident you are no longer allowed to hunt further than a 35 mile radius of your place of abode. bummer of a law but thats the way it is.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:44 pm

phutch30 wrote:Compared to some areas its good compared to others its poor. IF you can get access on private, which by now is likely almost impossible its great. Several members on here attend MSU, so you could look them up.

Also as a heads up. A new law went into effect Feb 28th 2013. As a Montana nonresident you are no longer allowed to hunt further than a 35 mile radius of your place of abode. bummer of a law but thats the way it is.

Interesting, do you have a link to that law? Or know where I can read about it?
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Erie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 am

Just for clarification does that mean if I decided to target the NE portion of the state in October that I would have to hunt within a 35mile radius of where I decide to set up camp? Wonder why they made that rule, seems very odd :huh:
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Erie wrote:Just for clarification does that mean if I decided to target the NE portion of the state in October that I would have to hunt within a 35mile radius of where I decide to set up camp? Wonder why they made that rule, seems very odd :huh:

Basically, you need to mark (piss on) each of the 4 corners of your abode to designate the territory. If you are staying in an 8-sided yurt, then you will need to drink an extra large amount of powerade.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:01 pm

I suggest tying a 35 mile long string to your house then you wont have to worry about it
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Erie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:29 pm

wingnutty wrote:
Erie wrote:Just for clarification does that mean if I decided to target the NE portion of the state in October that I would have to hunt within a 35mile radius of where I decide to set up camp? Wonder why they made that rule, seems very odd :huh:

Basically, you need to mark (piss on) each of the 4 corners of your abode to designate the territory. If you are staying in an 8-sided yurt, then you will need to drink an extra large amount of powerade.

noted
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:54 pm

For the record, I've already marked Hutch's place.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:22 pm

smells like you eat a lot of asparagus
phutch30
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:09 am

phutch30 wrote:Compared to some areas its good compared to others its poor. IF you can get access on private, which by now is likely almost impossible its great. Several members on here attend MSU, so you could look them up.

:lol3:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby bandhunter20 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:59 pm

good one !! Montana would be the last state to ever even think of a law like that.
Waterfowl hunting isn't a hobby, its a way of life.
Colorado Waterfowler
bandhunter20
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:19 pm

bandhunter20 wrote:

good one !! Montana would be the last state to ever even think of a law like that.

:lol3:
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting