Sunday Hunting Bill Introduced

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Re: Sunday Hunting Bill Introduced

Postby apexhunter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:59 am

What many people fail to realize is the economic boom that Sunday hunting can bring to the state and especially businesses in certain areas. SC did a study of revenue prior to and after Sunday hunting was introduced some years ago and the difference was staggering. Monies for gas, hotels, food, equipment, etc all increased as a direct result of Sunday hunting.

If people are fundamentally against it they simply do not have to participate. But being one of a small handful of states that doesn't allow it has always been a drawback to living in NC. At least pass the law permitting it so those of us that wish to will be able to do it.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 am

I wouldn't mind if they excluded waterfowl or migratory birds and general but allowed sunday hunting, that way sundays could be used to fill the freezer with venison :thumbsup:

Honestly if it doesn't change im fine with it, im used to the way it is now so were not losing anything by it staying the same.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:00 pm

apexhunter wrote:What many people fail to realize is the economic boom that Sunday hunting can bring to the state and especially businesses in certain areas. SC did a study of revenue prior to and after Sunday hunting was introduced some years ago and the difference was staggering. Monies for gas, hotels, food, equipment, etc all increased as a direct result of Sunday hunting.

Just what we don't need more people coming from out of state to hunt here in NC, its bad enough now. I'm seeing more OOS license tags than ever before at public ramps and gamelands. ( mostly SC) Their WMA's and public waters are so overhunted and pressured 7 days a week, they are coming here to hunt. Why would we want the nightmare they already have?
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:02 am

If the exclude waterfowl hunting on Sundays then nothing will change.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:55 pm

For those who don't know...waterfowl season is different from deer, bear, rabbit, etc., because it does not run from calendar date to calender date, but for a specific number of days. The FWS allows NC compensatory days, added to the calendar, because NC does not have Sunday hunting, which effectively extends our season from about 8 1/2 weeks to 10 weeks. If NC allows waterfowl hunting on private land, but not on public land and public water, it will shorten the number of days to anyone who does not have access to private lands.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:09 pm

wahoowilly wrote:For those who don't know...waterfowl season is different from deer, bear, rabbit, etc., because it does not run from calendar date to calender date, but for a specific number of days. The FWS allows NC compensatory days, added to the calendar, because NC does not have Sunday hunting, which effectively extends our season from about 8 1/2 weeks to 10 weeks. If NC allows waterfowl hunting on private land, but not on public land and public water, it will shorten the number of days to anyone who does not have access to private lands.

exactly :thumbsup:
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:17 am

Dingbatter wrote:
apexhunter wrote:What many people fail to realize is the economic boom that Sunday hunting can bring to the state and especially businesses in certain areas. SC did a study of revenue prior to and after Sunday hunting was introduced some years ago and the difference was staggering. Monies for gas, hotels, food, equipment, etc all increased as a direct result of Sunday hunting.

Just what we don't need more people coming from out of state to hunt here in NC, its bad enough now. I'm seeing more OOS license tags than ever before at public ramps and gamelands. ( mostly SC) Their WMA's and public waters are so overhunted and pressured 7 days a week, they are coming here to hunt. Why would we want the nightmare they already have?

wahoowilly wrote:For those who don't know...waterfowl season is different from deer, bear, rabbit, etc., because it does not run from calendar date to calender date, but for a specific number of days. The FWS allows NC compensatory days, added to the calendar, because NC does not have Sunday hunting, which effectively extends our season from about 8 1/2 weeks to 10 weeks. If NC allows waterfowl hunting on private land, but not on public land and public water, it will shorten the number of days to anyone who does not have access to private lands.

2 great points. I am not for it and wish it to stay the same. I see more headaches than benefits.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:58 am

ncbufflehead wrote:
tsmart wrote:
PungoShoresOutdoors wrote:Season would be shorter

No, it would still be 6o days long.

T.

still 60 days but they won't be stretched out over as long of a period time. and those of us that do not hunt private land will lose hunting days.

Ain't nobody got time for that.
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips.
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:27 pm

After thinking this thing over, I'm opposed to the bill as it is written. Exclude waterfowl and I'm all for it.
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:12 pm

As it is written I am opposed as well. Exclude waterfowl or include public land and I am for it.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:After thinking this thing over, I'm opposed to the bill as it is written. Exclude waterfowl and I'm all for it.

x2
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:28 am

I wonder if we would not be turning some people who don't care one way or the other about hunting into anti hunters. I have had many a good dove hunt right beside a Church. While many people would have better sense to blast away during a morning service, some would not. This is just an example of conflict I could see happening. The non hunters out number us. I'm not sure we need to piss them off. Just a thought.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:50 pm

ibedamn wrote:I wonder if we would not be turning some people who don't care one way or the other about hunting into anti hunters. I have had many a good dove hunt right beside a Church. While many people would have better sense to blast away during a morning service, some would not. This is just an example of conflict I could see happening. The non hunters out number us. I'm not sure we need to piss them off. Just a thought.

Good point. A lot of modern day "hunters" have no courtesy, manners, or common sense. I guess it's part of being in the "me" generation. :sad:
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:44 pm

ibedamn wrote:I wonder if we would not be turning some people who don't care one way or the other about hunting into anti hunters. I have had many a good dove hunt right beside a Church. While many people would have better sense to blast away during a morning service, some would not. This is just an example of conflict I could see happening. The non hunters out number us. I'm not sure we need to piss them off. Just a thought.

I wouldn't think so considering the majority of states already allow it. Doesn't seem to be a problem with them.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Parkerswaterfowl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:51 pm

I strongly oppose the Sunday hunting the ducks need a rest at least one day a week just as we do. I especially don't want a shorter season and more pressure on them than already is would make the hunting a lot worse leave things alone that aren't broke. SC as stated has to much pressure just like everyone from there will tell you and if passed it will be no different here.
Parkerswaterfowl
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Parkerswaterfowl wrote:I strongly oppose the Sunday hunting the ducks need a rest at least one day a week just as we do. I especially don't want a shorter season and more pressure on them than already is would make the hunting a lot worse leave things alone that aren't broke. SC as stated has to much pressure just like everyone from there will tell you and if passed it will be no different here.

This is probably the best statement I have ever heard on this subject, I couldn't agree more! :thumbsup:
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby fowlhntr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:46 am

Dingbatter wrote:
apexhunter wrote:

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^ Think getting a draw or swan tag is bad now.....just wait.....things will be alot worse.The sound will probably look like a Walmart parking lot with OOS'ers
fowlhntr
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:51 am

As long as they include public land I have no problem with it. I also hunt in states where hunting on sunday is allowed and I really enjoy that option. In the end it should be everyones choice if they hunt on sunday or not.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:42 am

I get that some people are against it and thats fine, I'm not sure one way or the other, but I don't get the argument that the birds need a day or rest. Very few poeple are able to hunt during the weekdays, and most public impounds are only open 2 days out of the week, one of them being saturday, so while there are some valid arguments against sunday hunting, I don't think the "day of rest" for the birds is as big of deal as people make it out to be. I get the public/private argument, thats a perfectly good reason to not want it, but the birds have plenty of rest
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:32 am

I get that some people are against it and thats fine, I'm not sure one way or the other, but I don't get the argument that the birds need a day or rest. Very few poeple are able to hunt during the weekdays, and most public impounds are only open 2 days out of the week, one of them being saturday, so while there are some valid arguments against sunday hunting, I don't think the "day of rest" for the birds is as big of deal as people make it out to be. I get the public/private argument, thats a perfectly good reason to not want it, but the birds have plenty of rest

I mean this as politely as possible, but if you think there aren't many people hunting on week days, then you must not be hunting anywhere in nc. It used to work that way, but not any more. I can't tell you how many times over the last couple years I've seen parking lots packed on weekdays even in the deadest parts of the season. I'm beginning to wonderful if anybody works any more. Duck hunting is very popular. Some how in the last 10 years it became the "cool thing" to do. As for hunting Sundays.......I find it hard enough to get people to come to church as it is, I hope it stays like it is. I know that everyone has a right to do whatever they want to do but as a CHRISTian it burdens me to see that it's even up for a debate. God used to take precedence in our country and Sundays used to be respected. When I was growing up even the lowest of the lowest wouldn't even mow their yards on Sunday. I think the fact that it's even up for discussion just shows what a position that our state/world is in. I know someone is going to say something about being in the bible belt or this or that. Just my .02
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:02 am

Maybe instead of allowing hunting on Sunday, we should keep the status quo and add fishing. Have you seen the boat ramps on Sunday mornings? It's crazy out there! Let the fish have a day of rest too. :lol3:

Oh, almost forgot! No golf on Sunday either! And no beer drink'n...and that includes on private property too. :hammer:
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:16 am

DuckMauler wrote:

I mean this as politely as possible, but if you think there aren't many people hunting on week days, then you must not be hunting anywhere in nc. It used to work that way, but not any more. I can't tell you how many times over the last couple years I've seen parking lots packed on weekdays even in the deadest parts of the season. I'm beginning to wonderful if anybody works any more. Duck hunting is very popular. Some how in the last 10 years it became the "cool thing" to do. As for hunting Sundays.......I find it hard enough to get people to come to church as it is, I hope it stays like it is. I know that everyone has a right to do whatever they want to do but as a CHRISTian it burdens me to see that it's even up for a debate. God used to take precedence in our country and Sundays used to be respected. When I was growing up even the lowest of the lowest wouldn't even mow their yards on Sunday. I think the fact that it's even up for discussion just shows what a position that our state/world is in. I know someone is going to say something about being in the bible belt or this or that. Just my .02

I can respect your opinion DuckMauler and agree with you in part. I get to hunt more during the week than I ever do on the weekends. If I am not working on a weekend then I am spending time with the family. I don’t believe it makes you any less of a Christian if someone chooses to hunt on a Sunday morning. I was always brought up to believe church is where you make it. Prayer means just as much to God whether it comes from a bench in a duck blind or a church pew in front of the pulpit. I do agree with you that this country has taken a drastic turn from the religious ideals and fundamentals that it was founded on. I would love to see our country back on track as much as anyone but I don’t feel that just because someone chooses to hunt on a Sunday morning it compromises their beliefs or who they are. Yes we are in the Bible belt as some would say and I am proud to live in it. I hunt with a great group of guys and, God and prayer is a huge part of who we are. It’s sad to say but we probably pray more at the supper table at duck camp than we do at home sometimes. That is where we fall short but it’s no one’s fault but our own. I meant absolutely no disrespect with this post and it’s great to see that there are still some good ole boys left out there. Happy hunting in the fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:17 am

rivercountry wrote:
DuckMauler wrote:

I can respect your opinion DuckMauler and agree with you in part. I get to hunt more during the week than I ever do on the weekends. If I am not working on a weekend then I am spending time with the family. I don’t believe it makes you any less of a Christian if someone chooses to hunt on a Sunday morning. I was always brought up to believe church is where you make it. Prayer means just as much to God whether it comes from a bench in a duck blind or a church pew in front of the pulpit. I do agree with you that this country has taken a drastic turn from the religious ideals and fundamentals that it was founded on. I would love to see our country back on track as much as anyone but I don’t feel that just because someone chooses to hunt on a Sunday morning it compromises their beliefs or who they are. Yes we are in the Bible belt as some would say and I am proud to live in it. I hunt with a great group of guys and, God and prayer is a huge part of who we are. It’s sad to say but we probably pray more at the supper table at duck camp than we do at home sometimes. That is where we fall short but it’s no one’s fault but our own. I meant absolutely no disrespect with this post and it’s great to see that there are still some good ole boys left out there. Happy hunting in the fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get what you're saying DuckMauler and I understand that a lot of people can hunt every day of the week, in college I had that opportunity as well, I'm just saying the average person does not get to, and changing this would give them two days a week to hunt instead of one. And I get what your're saying about church, but I agree that church is what you make of it and also that if you normally attend church, this would'nt pull you away from it anyway. I bet a bunch of people would love to wake up early and shoot a few birds before their morning serivce.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:08 am

Whatever happened to religious freedom? Some religions worship on Saturdays even though it sounds like a war outside on Saturday mornings. If we are going to restrict Sunday hunting due to the impacts on people attending church services, why not add Saturday as well? Or are we just worried about our own personal beliefs and no one else's? :huh:

I say keep religion out of the discussion, as people of different faiths may practice their personal spiritual beliefs on any day of the week.
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:52 am

Your right, regardless of how anyone feels, with seperation of church and state laws should not be influenced by religion.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting