Thoughts on Sitka Water fowl gear

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: Thoughts on Sitka Water fowl gear

Postby fordy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:58 pm

sm555,
Please stop arguing with your customers/consumers. You asked for opinions and you have received, albiet 90% negative and 10% "just ok" from what ive read so far.

Instead of defending Sitka, why dont you tell us your going to do something to change your inflated reputation. Give us something to let us know your actually trying to listen and change your product/business to relfect the opinions you asked for the in the first place.

As someone said before the pricing of Sitka gear is OFFENSIVE
fordy
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Food for thought... who in the H-E Double Hockeystick would really want to drag a couple hundred dollars worth of gear through the mud and muck knowing full well that something half the price could do the same job just as well. Not to mention in the event it were damaged or ruined the cheaper gear could be easily replaced by the same product and still fall under the price of the sitka gear. Basically two sets of gear for the price of a sitka set. It would be the same as taking a jacked up souped up 50000 truck through the mud and brush when all you need is the abuseable and reliable old spray paint camo chevy hunting truck. I have worn sitka and it is nice but i wouldn't get it unless I were a gear junkie with unlimited resources or never planning to abuse the crap out of it like I do most of my gear regardless of how it performs.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:51 pm

fordy wrote:sm555,
Please stop arguing with your customers/consumers. You asked for opinions and you have received, albiet 90% negative and 10% "just ok" from what ive read so far.

Instead of defending Sitka, why dont you tell us your going to do something to change your inflated reputation. Give us something to let us know your actually trying to listen and change your product/business to relfect the opinions you asked for the in the first place.

As someone said before the pricing of Sitka gear is OFFENSIVE

It really is
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby fingerlakefowler » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Kind of reminds me of Nike shoes. The product is made in China for like $5 and sold for $105. Why are the materials so expensive? Doesn't cabelas also offer gore-tex material for less? I actually am kind of curious to know
fingerlakefowler
hunter

Postby fingerlakefowler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Any pro staffers or dealers know why the price is as high as it is?
fingerlakefowler
hunter

Postby Call'em N » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:03 pm

fingerlakefowler wrote:Any pro staffers or dealers know why the price is as high as it is?

The best answer I can give you on that question is Material cost, continued material development, manufacturing costs, etc.
I know there will be some guys that will have Negative things to say about our gear and that is ok. Sitka Gear is not for everyone!
Personally, I have way to much invested into Waterfowling to not use the best gear I can. Trust me I have used it all when it comes to clothing. Yes, I get a significant discount on the gear but can honestly tell you 100% I would pay (invest) full price if I wasn't in the position I was in.
Again Sitka Gear is not for everyone.

Thanks for all you positive and constructive comments.

Matt Brimmer
Sitka Athlete and Waterfowl Prostaff director
Call'em N
hunter

Postby fingerlakefowler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Call'em N wrote:
fingerlakefowler wrote:Any pro staffers or dealers know why the price is as high as it is?

The best answer I can give you on that question is Material cost, continued material development, manufacturing costs, etc.
I know there will be some guys that will have Negative things to say about our gear and that is ok. Sitka Gear is not for everyone!
Personally, I have way to much invested into Waterfowling to not use the best gear I can. Trust me I have used it all when it comes to clothing. Yes, I get a significant discount on the gear but can honestly tell you 100% I would pay (invest) full price if I wasn't in the position I was in.
Again Sitka Gear is not for everyone.

Thanks for all you positive and constructive comments.

Matt Brimmer
Sitka Athlete and Waterfowl Prostaff director

This might be a dumb question but are there different forms or styles of Gore-Tex and Primaloft Insulation? I guess what I'm asking is does Sitka gear have a different form of Gore-Tex and Primaloft Insulation compared to other product's containing these technologies?
fingerlakefowler
hunter

Postby Call'em N » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:46 pm

fingerlakefowler wrote:
Call'em N wrote:
fingerlakefowler wrote:Any product staffers or dealers know why the price is as high as it is?[/quote

This might be a dumb question but are there different forms or styles of Gore-Tex and Primaloft Insulation? I guess what I'm asking is does Sitka gear have a different form of Gore-Tex and Primaloft Insulation compared to other product's containing these technologies?

I am not sure on the Primoloft! As for the Goretex membrane yes Sitka uses membranes not used by others (due to cost). Depending on the Gore technology/membran depends on cost. Check out the Gore-Tex web site and than browse the product tech
Tab. A quick browse around will show you that all Goretex is not the same such as (2 layer, 3-layer, Z-liner, Active, Pro). There is a lot of information in regards to the differences in certain membranes. Each membrane offers its own pros and cons for certain usages.
Call'em N
hunter

Postby kruse » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:42 pm

As I was reading through this. It started with Mcalpina who started it with (Thoughts on Sitka Waterfowl Gear) Now he got what he needed and said thank you and was done. Then Call'emN came in and started going off about how people didn't like the price and what ever else he was blabbering about. Now as a President of a company I would be very upset with Mr." Matt Brimmer
Sitka Athlete and Waterfowl Prostaff director" If he was working for me. To me you made Sitka look really bad. If thats how you treat future potential buyers then you sure in h*** wouldn't be working for me. You are an A hole. All you need to do was let it go. No one said anything bad about the product itself. They just didn't like the price. So if Sitka could find a way to bring the price down a little bit they would probably have lot more people buy their gear. Also to me. A product in the hunting industrie. It should be for everyone. :thumbsup:
kruse
hunter

Postby Call'em N » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:48 pm

kruse wrote:As I was reading through this. It started with Mcalpina who started it with (Thoughts on Sitka Waterfowl Gear) Now he got what he needed and said thank you and was done. Then Call'emN came in and started going off about how people didn't like the price and what ever else he was blabbering about. Now as a President of a company I would be very upset with Mr." Matt Brimmer
Sitka Athlete and Waterfowl Prostaff director" If he was working for me. To me you made Sitka look really bad. If thats how you treat future potential buyers then you sure in h*** wouldn't be working for me. You are an A hole. All you need to do was let it go. No one said anything bad about the product itself. They just didn't like the price. So if Sitka could find a way to bring the price down a little bit they would probably have lot more people buy their gear. Also to me. A product in the hunting industrie. It should be for everyone. :thumbsup:

Sorry man I don't see were I am in A Hole. There was a few specific questions within the thread that were asked and I answered them.
Call'em N
hunter

Postby kruse » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Call'emN, I apologies for that comment. Read through it again and the A hole part should of been for Sim559. But still in my opinion. Sitka Gear should be for everyone.
kruse
hunter

Postby Call'em N » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:18 pm

kruse wrote:Call'emN, I apologies for that comment. Read through it again and the A hole part should of been for Sim559. But still in my opinion. Sitka Gear should be for everyone.

I can appreciate that and have and will continue to pass on comments to those whom make the decisions on price, design, etc.
Call'em N
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:18 pm

almost bought the jacket at the ISE show in salt lake last weekend but even at show prices ($200+) it was just too much i have my herters 4 piece and it is fine
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:34 am

Every time I see Sitka gear in an ad, all I can think of is for the price of bibs and a jacket I can buy a new duck gun. The gear will long since been worn out while that gun will still be going strong. Get the prices even remotely reasonable and people would jump on that gear. But the fact is most hunters look at it the same way I do. sitka appears to be way out of touch with what most hunters want or need
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby MattMontana » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Sitka gear should be for everyone? So a Guerrini o/u should be for everyone? A new 3/4 ton crew cab Silverado should be for everyone? The things that are for everyone are those things that everyone can afford. Sitka gear is not for me, but they are allowed to sell their gear for whatever they can get for it. I'm not a fan, but I am not gonna rip em for pricing their gear too high for me to afford. If you can't afford it, go to Cabela's like everyone else with limited funds does. Me included. You want nice stuff then get your *** to work and earn enough money to buy whatever overpriced gear you want. Even though I am one of them dreaded liberals, I think that's the American way. Ya get what ya earn, not what ya want.
MattMontana
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:16 pm

MattMontana wrote: get your *** to work and earn enough money to buy whatever overpriced gear you want=I am one of them dreaded liberals,. Ya get what ya earn, not what ya want.

Does not compute. You sound a whole lot like a Republican by that statement :beer:
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby Guzman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:20 pm

If you had and wore Sitka gear you would understand that it absolutly destroys the compitition. Drake, Cableas, Beretta etc are not even in the same league period.

If you are hunting 60 degreas in Texas there is no reason for it. When you hunt up say Washington, Montana, Wisconsin where you are hunting temps below freezing, snow, cold rain etc than it is worth considering. If you hunt a few times a year I would say hard to justify and tough it out, but if you are putting in a lot of time in the cold like I do it is worth every penny.

I would trade in my Benelli, Beretta whatever for my Sitka gear.
Guzman
hunter

Postby fingerlakefowler » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14 pm

Guzman wrote:If you had and wore Sitka gear you would understand that it absolutly destroys the compitition. Drake, Cableas, Beretta etc are not even in the same league period.

If you are hunting 60 degreas in Texas there is no reason for it. When you hunt up say Washington, Montana, Wisconsin where you are hunting temps below freezing, snow, cold rain etc than it is worth considering. If you hunt a few times a year I would say hard to justify and tough it out, but if you are putting in a lot of time in the cold like I do it is worth every penny.

It's what you gotta do just to afford it!
fingerlakefowler
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Gonna be hard killing ducks without your gun. But hey you'll look good doing it

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby TRL91 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:52 pm

fingerlakefowler wrote:
Guzman wrote:If you had and wore Sitka gear you would understand that it absolutly destroys the compitition. Drake, Cableas, Beretta etc are not even in the same league period.

It's what you gotta do just to afford it!

That's almost worth quoting and putting in a signature.
TRL91
hunter

Postby Guzman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Luvbowhuntn wrote:Gonna be hard killing ducks without your gun. But hey you'll look good doing it

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I do own more than one gun.
Guzman
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:38 pm

I'd lot rather put my money in guns, rather than some clothing that's only going to wear out and depreciate. Layer up and I'll be just as warm as any Sitka gear can have me. But then again the teens is as low as temps get where I hunt and that's only for a few days a year. The rest is between 20's and 40's. I will say that most Sitka stuff I have seen is really nice clothes, but clothes are all they are. Trying to justify them as more than that is comical
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby Guzman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:08 pm

Like any equipment I don't think there is a right or a wrong. If you are happy with what you have than why change?

Like anything I shoot a Beretta, but an 870 works. I have a goose trailer worth about $20,000, but I have shot many geese driving around in a Honda Civic with 10 old Carry-Light decoys.

I don't think that any of the pro-Sitka guys are saying that you have to buy it. It is just an option out there. Due to my thin build I struggle in the cold, and we have some cold weather here. Being a guide I can't just go home or to the truck when I get cold. I have had so many hunts in the past where I was misserable. When I found Sitka gear and starting using I was the happiest person in the world, and will go out of my way to support it.

It is without question the best clothing out there for hunting. It is very expesive, and if you are happy with what you have you would be crazy to spend that type of money.
Guzman
hunter

Postby sim559 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:26 pm

A hole part should of been for Sim559.
You are correct I am an A hole to some people. May be a 10th of a percent of all people I have met in the Last 40 years of working with walk in customers and on line customers. All I wanted to do was to compare 2 items and you started saying my test would not be valid. You put me in the same pot as a car salesman with white shoes and a white belt.
The term Overpriced implies something different than they cost more than most other items.
Overpriced is health insurance or a Doctor visit.
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:52 am

Guzman wrote:It is without question the best clothing out there for hunting. It is very expesive, and if you are happy with what you have you would be crazy to spend that type of money.

x2. I have a large hunting clothing collection like many on here and I got tired of layering a ridiculous number of insulation and jackets for my really cold weather hunts. So I started looking at trying to consolidate my closet before this past season and I started looking at getting a system of layering clothes I like. I looked at and tried multiple lines (Drake, Cabelas, Browning, and Sitka among others) and found that Sitka (in my opinion) is head and shoulders above the others. Most of my clothing is Cabelas that I have had and used for 10+ years. Probably the second is Drake. Nothing wrong with them but with the Sitka gear, I found I can wear less clothes and stay warm. I also liked the features on the Sitka clothes... how the pockets lined up, how it fit me, that I can move much more freely, etc.

There are pros and cons to everything. For me, I wasn't looking at first to spend that much but I decided to delay a purchase of a new over under to stock up on Sitka gear at severe after season discounts. Like Guzman, I already have other shotguns. I could not be happier with my purchases and decision and if my Cabelas gear has lasted at least 10 years already, I can't wait to see how long the Sitka gear lasts. (And know that if I have issues, I will be the first to come on here and let y'all know.)

Just my .02 :beer:
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Gear Forum