Thoughts on Sitka Water fowl gear

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Re: Thoughts on Sitka Water fowl gear

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:07 am

Sim, here is my legitimate question for Sitka. At the end of the season, there are a ton of places offering Sitka gear at 20% off. If you look around, there are some places selling it for 30% to 40% off. My thought is that if it is very easy to get it at least 20% off, why doesn't Sitka drop their prices 20% right off the bat. Personally I think you would sell a ton more of it if you did that.

I gather the answer would be that Sitka doesn't want to drop it 20% because they already have people paying full price and therefore why drop it? I definitely don't know the inner finances of the company but it seems to me that McalpinG (the OP and a fellow Sitka pro staffer of yours) wanted to know how to grow sales of Sitka gear and perhaps wanted to know what DHC hunters thought and why they may not be buying it. Obviously the price is the #1 issue. So why not drop it some? Sure you get a little less but you sell a lot more.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:13 am

From everything I have heard sitka makes a great product, I don't use anything of theirs because of contractual obligations. The price point IMO is just a bit high for a large majority of the waterfowl industry, but you get what you pay for, and I don't think that it will scare off to many guys. I know a lot of the club guys in this area use it quite a bit. I have always said that if a company can get a clothing product that will hold up, to a 60 day a year public land hunter, they will own the waterfowl market. All of drakes stuff is crap besides the first quarter zip they came out with, Gamehide has been pretty so so, I like the mack's fleeces quite a bit and they seem to hold up pretty good. Personally would like to see more camo options but I know that will never happen.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby bigrobbierob » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:25 am

For me it falls down to price. Great gear but just to rich for my blood. In my mind I think I know what they want their brand to do and that is to stomp out Under Armour from the hunting market. Won't happen till they lower the price to just a tad over UA.

Even though I still get some sticker shock from UA it ain't as bad as the brain hemorrhage I get from looking at Sitka's stuff.
bigrobbierob
hunter

Postby Guzman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:55 pm

I don't work for Sitka so I don't know there business model. I would be very suprised if they drop their price point. Their mission statment seems to revolve around making the best product. Cabelas, Drake and others seem to make a good product at a decent price.

I would almost say that you would have to wear their product around the understand why it is better. Like a previous post said you can wear a lot less clothing, less layers, and the layers that you are wearing fit and move more freely. You can probably get close to or the same results wearing a base layer you bought at Wal Mart. You might be able to get an inulating layer from a competitor, although I HIGHLY recommend going with Primaloft. There are others that make coats with Primaloft, for cold weather it is fare superior to fleace, although for early season I prefer fleace due to less noise and it is plenty comfortable. The shells though are so much more flexable, warmer, breath better, fit better, more functional than anything else.

I don't know how many of you backpack, or ski but in those industries Arcteryx is the top brand out there, even ahead of North Face, but North Face does some some good top of the line stuff. Arcteryx is very expensive also. You won't go to the slopes and see a ton of people wearing their stuff. They don't market to the mases, but to the people who demand the top of the line stuff that is what they go with. My sister was a backapacking guide off the coast of Canada. It was severve weather and that is what she used.
http://www.arcteryx.com/ProductFind.aspx?language=EN&gender=Mens
Guzman
hunter

Postby boondock29510 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:10 pm

Most of Sitkas pricing comes from their R&D costs. They do.not use a mimicry camo, so it was tested in the field. But even still, selling 10 coats a week at $150 would make up that margine quicker than 3 coats a week at $300. Oh well, not my company.

Sitka is too pricey for me. I refuse to buy any piece of clothing over $200... Unless it attracted pretty, naked ladies. Then maybe.
boondock29510
hunter

Postby Greenhead329 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Gear is very over priced, but you pay for what you get type thing..
I can't afford the jackets, vests, etc on my salary but do have a beanie and some of the insulation base layer gloves and love them.
Camo seems very good for marshes etc. I liked it better than my other camo
Whoever says you can't buy happiness has obviously never owned a lab

?Dos Juevos???... Dos Juevos
Greenhead329
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:50 am

boondock29510 wrote:I refuse to buy any piece of clothing over $200... Unless it attracted pretty, naked ladies. Then maybe.

I thought I saw that on one of Sitka's ads for Optifade Marsh... wear our camo and naked ladies swoop in like the ducks. :beer:
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Tur-Duck-Gun » Mon May 13, 2013 4:08 pm

I was in the outdoor clothing industry for a bit and can tell ya that Sitka is backed by Gore and they're putting out top notch stuff. Pretty sure Gore is gonna throw a lot of money at the brand to really help it succeed. Quality is probably some of the best (if not the best) in the waterfowl industry-or hunting industry in general for that matter; at least when it comes to Gore-Tex/breathable material. I'm not totally sold on the camo pattern they offer it in. Granted there's some science behind it, but it looks kinda Gucci to me (this is coming from a guy who still thinks NatGear and the ORIGINAL Mossy Oak Bottomland are the two best patterns ever).

I really think a soft shell is a soft shell, but with true breathable/waterproof material, Gore makes probably the best out there. Some other stuff works OK and is serviceable 90% of the time, but nothing breathes like true Gore and you figure if Gore owns Sitka, then they've probably got the best. Then again, I'm usually wet from being clumsy so it doesn't really matter ;)
Tur-Duck-Gun
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Mon May 27, 2013 5:48 pm

I finally decided to retire my 15yr old Columbia Wigeon wading jacket after this last waterfowling season.

I was very intrigued with Sitka Gear--based on their Big Game hunting gear reputation--and their new Gore Optifade waterfowl pattern. I suffered through a couple of the wettest hunts I've been on in recent memory last season... and a little light-bulb finally went off after the second morning of being soaking wet.

I'm pushing 59yrs old and I don't care to be soaking wet... and I found myself soaked when my ol Wigeon failed to turn the rains. I was so wet one morning I was standing at 'port-arms' holding my shotgun... and the water had literally puddled at each elbow.

So I decided to invest in what I believe is the best gear on the market. I've got to tell you my Sitka Duck Oven is my go-to jacket... hunting season or not. The thing is so dang warm and versatile I found myself wearing it to work... and the grocery store. I also have the Delta Wading jacket and the features are unlike anything else out there on the market that I've SEEN or handled.

I'm taking a leap of faith on the Gore "Optifade" waterfowl pattern, but it makes sense and I'm a fan of it now... and keep in mind my 'ol Columbia Wigeon was WORLD WAR TWO BROWN. Yes, pretty much a quantum leap for me. I'm impressed by the quality of the materials, the care in which it's all stitched together and all the clever features that tell me they were listening to what duck-hunters wanted.

Is it worth the $$$? So far I would say yes, and my wish list is for more Sitka Gear. If you'd spend $1500 on a top-flight shotgun... why would you skimp on the clothing that keeps you comfortable and dry in the course of your hunts? For me it was easy to connect the dots. I got lucky and found some terrific deals on Sitka Waterfowl gear just as the 2012 season was closing. 25% off, no sales tax and free-shipping (internet) sealed the deal for me.

--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby TheOutdoorFever » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Tim Terrell wrote:I finally decided to retire my 15yr old Columbia Wigeon wading jacket after this last waterfowling season.

I was very intrigued with Sitka Gear--based on their Big Game hunting gear reputation--and their new Gore Optifade waterfowl pattern. I suffered through a couple of the wettest hunts I've been on in recent memory last season... and a little light-bulb finally went off after the second morning of being soaking wet.

I'm pushing 59yrs old and I don't care to be soaking wet... and I found myself soaked when my ol Wigeon failed to turn the rains. I was so wet one morning I was standing at 'port-arms' holding my shotgun... and the water had literally puddled at each elbow.

So I decided to invest in what I believe is the best gear on the market. I've got to tell you my Sitka Duck Oven is my go-to jacket... hunting season or not. The thing is so dang warm and versatile I found myself wearing it to work... and the grocery store. I also have the Delta Wading jacket and the features are unlike anything else out there on the market that I've SEEN or handled.

I'm taking a leap of faith on the Gore "Optifade" waterfowl pattern, but it makes sense and I'm a fan of it now... and keep in mind my 'ol Columbia Wigeon was WORLD WAR TWO BROWN. Yes, pretty much a quantum leap for me. I'm impressed by the quality of the materials, the care in which it's all stitched together and all the clever features that tell me they were listening to what duck-hunters wanted.

Is it worth the $$$? So far I would say yes, and my wish list is for more Sitka Gear. If you'd spend $1500 on a top-flight shotgun... why would you skimp on the clothing that keeps you comfortable and dry in the course of your hunts? For me it was easy to connect the dots. I got lucky and found some terrific deals on Sitka Waterfowl gear just as the 2012 season was closing. 25% off, no sales tax and free-shipping (internet) sealed the deal for me.

--Tim

The Duck Oven and Delta Wading Jackets are two awesome jackets. The Duck Oven is probably the most versatile jacket on the market and one of my personal favorites. You just can't beat the Primaloft insulation and the Windstopper membrane. Also, the Delta Wading jacket is a sweet piece of gear too. Awesome for early season! I hunted in the Hudson Jacket almost all season last year and loved it. I wore it through a wide range of temps and was more comfortable than I'd ever been. Sitka's quality is unmatched and top notch.
TheOutdoorFever
Newb

Postby Tgunz_64 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Like most of these posts I think Sitka is way over priced. I like the designs and styles of clothing Sitka has, but I can buy similar clothing for half the price or better. I wait until after season for most of my stuff and get the clearance price. Got a nice $170 jacket for $99. Why not? I can kill just as many ducks with my $99 jacket as I can with a $400 dollar one. Do yourselves a favor Sitka and make a line of clothing the average joe can afford and watch the profits come in! You have the fan base going, just make it realistic for people to get it!
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby sim559 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Putin likes it
Attachments
Putin.jpg
Putin.jpg (31.23 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby JWG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:30 am

Finally got a Cabelas waterfowl. I knew Sitkas were high but $489 for bibs and $489 for jacket!?! Ya get what ya pay for but that doesn't stop barbed wire
JWG
hunter

Postby JC523 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:26 am

I have a good bit of Sitka Gear, but not in the waterfowl line. For mountain big game, I think it's probably worth it. You need good gear that will hold up and make you comfortable. This is the origin of Sitka........and I figure they have been very successful filling the needs of western mountain hunters.

Last year, I bought a Duck Oven jacket (while it was on sale, IIRC). It's super nice, but really pretty pricey. This year, I wanted to upgrade my bibs and coat. I briefly looked at Sitka, since I have had such good luck with their other line. I simply couldn't justify that much money for bibs and a parka.......for waterfowl. Moreover, the freakin' bibs aren't even insulated! I ended up going with something much more economical, as I always have for waterfowl.

I won't deny Sitka makes great stuff........that fits great and has a lot of neat features.......but I don't feel like I need that "performance" for a half-day waterfowl hunt. Just my $0.02
JC523
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:00 am

JWG wrote:Finally got a Cabelas waterfowl. I knew Sitkas were high but $489 for bibs and $489 for jacket!?! Ya get what ya pay for but that doesn't stop barbed wire

I couldn't agree more but in my view, I don't view the Sitka bibs or the jacket being $489... I automatically now see all Sitka gear as being ~35% less. After the season ends, there are tons of places selling Sitka gear for 30-40% off (Camofire, Santana Outdoors, Kruger Farms, BlackOvis, etc). I even got some stuff 45% off.

Bottom line, in my opinion, when you look at Sitka gear and can wait for a better price (which isn't hard), you can automatically factor in about 35% off. Therefore, those bibs and jacket are both ~$320 each. Still expensive, but that looks a ton better than $489 each.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby sim559 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:54 am

I automatically now see all Sitka gear as being ~35% less. After the season ends, there are tons of places selling Sitka gear for 30-40% off (Camofire, Santana Outdoors, Kruger Farms, BlackOvis, etc). I even got some stuff 45% off.
These items are most likely close out items that Sitka has replaced with something else. I am sure you cannot find a Sitka item right now at 30% off
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby aclumpkin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:27 pm

sim559 wrote:I automatically now see all Sitka gear as being ~35% less. After the season ends, there are tons of places selling Sitka gear for 30-40% off (Camofire, Santana Outdoors, Kruger Farms, BlackOvis, etc). I even got some stuff 45% off.
These items are most likely close out items that Sitka has replaced with something else. I am sure you cannot find a Sitka item right now at 30% off

I can't answer for all items but I directly called Sitka and asked about certain items. I found that yes, a few had been changed but very slightly. For example, the most recent Kelvin pant had a slightly different belt design but everything else was the same. Kruger Farms verified this when I talked to them about it. Definitely not a different pant.

Other items Sitka said they have not changed. A few I remember asking about were the Dakota Vest and the Duck Oven. I guess Sitka could have flat out lied to me but I doubt it based on my conversations. And no, my conversation with Sitka were not "I found this item for 35% off on this website, is that the most current version?" I mostly asked them about the features of the clothes and any changes that have been made... and any coming up. I am still hoping for a Kelvin Lite Pant!

Camofire just yesterday had the Pantanal Cap for 35% off.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Sim559, I know you sell some discount Sitka gear and perhaps have an in at Sitka, so I admit, you may know something I don't. I would be interested to know some direct examples if you have any... especially with regard to the gear you sell. I totally admit there may be some very minor changes. That said, if there are changes, the overall design is the same.

One of my clients is well off and buys A TON of Sitka gear direct from Sitka at full price. He is the one that turned me on to Sitka. I have compared my items to his and haven't noticed any differences. If you provide me with some example differences, I will make a note to compare them again next time I see him.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby sim559 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:31 pm

HI
When there is a sale I will take 20% off. I also buy closeout items and these are not subject to MAP pricing so these can be sold at any price at any time.
It is hard to say what the difference is without comparing like items under the same conditions. All I know for sure is Sitka spend a lot of time in design and assembly. It the product does not meet their specifications it is destroyed. I am dealer with Sitka Gear and I try my best to be to help my customers get what they want. If they have a problem with the item, I will take it back exchange or refund without any hassles.
As a dealer I feel the need to represent Sitka in the best possible way. I in no way want to tarnish Sitka's reputation.
Thanks
Rod
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby aclumpkin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:01 pm

sim559 wrote:HI
When there is a sale I will take 20% off. I also buy closeout items and these are not subject to MAP pricing so these can be sold at any price at any time.
It is hard to say what the difference is without comparing like items under the same conditions. All I know for sure is Sitka spend a lot of time in design and assembly. It the product does not meet their specifications it is destroyed. I am dealer with Sitka Gear and I try my best to be to help my customers get what they want. If they have a problem with the item, I will take it back exchange or refund without any hassles.
As a dealer I feel the need to represent Sitka in the best possible way. I in no way want to tarnish Sitka's reputation.
Thanks
Rod

I hear ya Rod and I agree, Sitka (and its dealers) do a great job. One of my items had a defect and they shipped the replacement before I even mailed back the return.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Frylock » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Crap! After reading this thread I now fell the urge to sell all my Drake stuff and replace it with Sitka. Now I just gotta wait for these sales you're all talking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Frylock
hunter

Postby mountairyplantation » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:23 am

I'm a fan. Have the Delta wading jacket and duck oven.
The Pantanal bibs are on my wish list.

Thanksgiving Morning.
Attachments
sitka3.jte.jpg
sitka3.jte.jpg (55.06 KiB) Viewed 590 times
mountairyplantation
DHC Sponsor

Postby Idaho Mike » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:37 am

Love Sitka!

Very high quality gear and if you buy it right there's no better gear for the $$$ :yes:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:40 am

sim559 wrote:HI
Thanks
Rod

Purchased my Duck Oven jacket from Rod.

I ordered a Large and exchanged it for a XL. Rod is a great guy to do business with :thumbsup:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby sim559 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi
thanks for helping me out. I do my best to make it right with all my customers.
Good Hunting and Merry Christmas
sim559
DHC Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Gear Forum