How do I avoid the seaweed taste?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

How do I avoid the seaweed taste?

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Ducks up here in alaska eat a lot of weird crap and thus taste like the wierd crap they eat which doesn't taste very good, my dilema is I like shooting ducks but don't like killing what I can't eat. I tried making tacos and they tasted llike seaweed as heavily seasoned as my duck was.
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby CDUX » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:31 am

WHEN I GIVE MY AUNT A COUPLE SCOOTERS SHE STEWS'EM W/ MOLASSES, PICKLE BRINE, VEGGIES AND DOUGH BOYS. FANTASTIC, BUT SHE NEVER GIVES-UP THE EXACT RECIPE.

HAVEN'T TRIED IT YET BUT I SAW A SHOW LAST YEAR WHERE THESE GUYS WERE BREASTING OUT EIDERS AND BROWNING ‘EM ON A BLAZING HOT IRON SKILLET W/ GARLIC BUTTER.

SORRY I COULDN'T BE MORE HELP, BUT MOST OF MINE GO TO THE PORTUGUESE DOWN THE STREET.

ALSO TRY A GOOGLE SEARCH.
Fred
CDUX
hunter

Postby Michigan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:06 pm

Have you tried soaking the meat in salt water fo a fw hours or marinating it? That's what usually works for me.
Michigan
hunter

Postby Rudso » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:24 pm

I got a question about doing the salt water thing. Say you have 14 duck breasts, fresh. Do you soak them in salt water and than you freeze them for the future or do you soak them in salt water to get the blood out the day before you cook them?
Rudso
hunter

Postby Michigan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:16 pm

I'd say that you want to soak the meat before you freeze it. That way you can go right to the pan with it after you defrost it.
Michigan
hunter

seaweed ducks

Postby tapera » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:50 am

the recipe i save for mud-ducks--the ones that most people bury so they don't count against the limit, on account of they taste like mud--is to marinate the breasts in buttermilk and hot sauce for 3-5 days. in fact, i even marinate corn-fed mallards in buttermilk for at least a couple days before eating or freezing.

but back to the mud-ducks. take the breasts from the buttermilk and dry them with paper towels. (save the marinade.) cut the breasts into strips across the grain of the meat. now, make a batter with flour, polenta (corn meal--not too much, just enough to add crunch), sesame seeds, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and dried basil. and whatever else you want. if you like indian food, but in some daram masala or whatever.

now take that buttermilk and hot sauce marinade and add some sesame oil to it. break a couple eggs in it and whisk. you're gonna fry this lousy-tasting mother, dammit, and like it.

put some of the flour concoction in a big ziploc. leave the rest in a bowl. dip duck in bowl, dip in egg/marinade, throw in the baggy. shake those mothers around. repeat til you need another beer.

now get you a deep frying pan and put corn oil in it, maybe half an inch. put some sesame or wasabi oil in if you feel like it. :getdown: fry that duck up, just but two minutes a side. you want it medium rare for crud-ducks and, with a mallard or something, RARE. let cool on papertowels. i like to dip it in some kind of red pepper sauce or hot mustard that you can buy in the store. BBQ sauce is good, too.

:thumbsup:
tapera
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:50 am

hopefully I'll try that last one tomorrow :yes:
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:59 pm

nice recipe, tapera. Will that work even with mergansers?
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby tapera » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:35 am

duckjumper wrote:nice recipe, tapera. Will that work even with mergansers?

meganser is the ONE and ONLY duck even me and my tabasco are afraid of. HOWEVER--give it a try! most people where i come from won't eat spoonbill or ringneck, and that buttermilk/hot sauce thing makes them taste great, so why not merganser? just make sure you remove the skin.

one more thing: i know a guy who saves his mergansers for shrimp gumbo. he cooks them with andouille sausage, shrimp, chicken, whitefish, and tomatoes with lots of spice. he says if it tastes like a fish, use it in a fish recipe. makes sense to me. personally, i don't shoot mergs, but give both these preparations a try and report back. i'd love to hear what you find!

cheers, tapera
tapera
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:42 pm

Funny you should say that - putting a merganser (or a coot, for that matter) into a Spanish paella was my first thought. Shrimp, sausage, etc. I'll give it a try....not that I am planning on targeting the lawn darts, though. If one falls, I'll go look for valencia rice!
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:19 pm

breasted out my teal yesterday smelled like low tide, I hpe these recipies work
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby tapera » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:49 pm

ak_powder_monkey wrote:breasted out my teal yesterday smelled like low tide, I hpe these recipies work

LET US KNOW! good luck...
tapera
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:56 pm

Can't stress this enough... if you are hunting divers. Trim off every micro milligram of fat. That stuff stinks.

Puddlers usually don't have that problem around here anyway...

As good as duck fat is... if it's tainted, it will ruin the meat. And stink up your kitchen.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking