New Zealand Bound...almost

Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, etc. Countries other than the US and CA.

Moderator: AAR

New Zealand Bound...almost

Postby waldo2382 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:51 am

Looks like I'll be treating myself with a trip to the land of the Kiwis this June or July. I just have to wait for my summer work schedule to be published. I was thinking of a 8 day trip with 2-3 days or possibly more of duck hunting primarily for grey ducks, spoonies and paradise ducks. I wouldn't be opposed to helping to thin out the mallard and canada goose population.

Are there any guides that are highly recommended for the NZ native species besides the few that come up on a Google search? I'm not much for a volume shoot, more for the collection with those. I have not heard if the North Island is better than the South or vice versa.

Any help planning would be appreciated. It'll be quite the journey from the Great White North!
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Re: New Zealand Bound...almost

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:31 pm

I've hunted both islands extensively and had good success in both places. Paradise ducks, Australasian Shovelers, Black Swans, Nrw Zealand Blacks, Pukekos and Turkey, not to mention Mallards and Canadas. P.M. me your phone number.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby nzduckhunter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:30 am

You wont have much problem with the parry's mate, they are like flying rats, bloody everywhere!
You will definitely have more birds in the south than most parts of the North. Best to get some good local knowledge, go to this site http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz This is a good place to start. The guys are more than happy to help out and provide info for a fellow hunter, you may be surprised with the offer of a shoot or two as well. most north island seasons end around 30th June so you may need to factor that in depending on where you want to shoot. feel free to PM me if you need any other info.
Just because you haven't done something, doesn't mean its not worth trying.
nzduckhunter
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:27 am

What's the age limit for hunting in NZ? I would like to take my 10 year old down with me to hunt. He has been hunting fowl for the past two seasons and has done very well at it. I guess hitting the 5-stand weekly pays off.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:23 am

no age limit BUT one gun between the 2 of you may be the go depending on the police officer in question..it is a controversy at this time..I hunt with my 12 year old son with me and allow him to carry his own shotgun but some would argue thats not good enough as I have to be in CONTROL at all times.
make sure you have a gamebird licence each. his will cost stuff all.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Return to International Duck Hunting