Digital camo for turkey

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Digital camo for turkey

Postby pfin3 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Has anyone used the military digital camo for turkey hunting? Not meaning the woodlands camo but the current military issue. I know research has gone into that camo but it seems light to me. Will it work?
pfin3
Newb

Re: Digital camo for turkey

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:47 pm

I have hunted turkeys in tan wool pants and a green checkered woolrich button down shirt before and have had birds so close you could smell them. About ANY camo will work as long as you aren't moving around. The mil spec digital camo should work just fine.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:53 pm

dsm16428 wrote:I have hunted turkeys in tan wool pants and a green checkered woolrich button down shirt before and have had birds so close you could smell them. About ANY camo will work as long as you aren't moving around. The mil spec digital camo should work just fine.

X2
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby duckhunter175 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:09 am

If you are referencing the ACU pattern-- I would not use it unless you are hunting from a gravel parking lot or a rock mountainside. That pattern was developed by the cheapest bidder with the best 'retirement' package for the folks at PEO Soldier, the Pentagon and Army Natick Labs. (Off my soapbox)

Simply put- ACUs don't mirror anything in nature and the uniforms themselves are well built. I would go buy a used set of woodland BDUs or if you can find the newest overseas uniform- multicam/OCPs. The OCP is the army's rip-off of Crye Precision's Multi-Cam which performed above an beyond any pattern tested and is IMO better than SITKA or KRYPTEK camo as well and wayyy less $$$

Pics of the new issue OCP attached.
Attachments
ok turkey.jpg
ok deer.jpg
duckhunter175
hunter

Postby pfin3 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:50 pm

duckhunter175 where do you suggest you can pick those up?
pfin3
Newb

Postby duckhunter175 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:56 pm

Propper and Tru-Spec are the primary manufacturer of the BDU-style pants and shirts in multi-cam. They can be found anywhere online for about $40 per.

If you want high end rain/cold weather gear then check out crye precision and arcteryx and I'm sure there are lots of other companies getting on board. It's still less expensive than Sitka or the other hunting brands.

I'd check at surplus stores near military posts or score a set from someone back from a deployment.

I would avoid the tables at gun shows because they typically jack up their prices.
duckhunter175
hunter

Postby duckhunter175 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:05 pm

The A-TACs and Opti-fade are also interesting patterns--

A-TACs is available in those same BDU style-- but I get issued the multicam so Im sticking with it!
duckhunter175
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Multicams are sweet. Heard rumors they are gonna make it standard for all branches :grooving: :grooving:
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Try the marine woodland pattern "marpat", should work well for turkeys in the woods. I have a set but have not tried them out turkey hunting yet.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:03 am

i personally thiknk the ACU color pattern is just a little too light for areas typically turkey hunted.
thomashamm2
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum