Hevi Metal Concerns *Answered*

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Hevi Metal Concerns *Answered*

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:42 pm

I guess the biggest question for Hevi-Shot other than why don't they warn us on the box of this, but is this a plamt seed of an invasive species?
Last edited by QuackSmacker935 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Re: Hevi Metal Concerns

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:51 am

That's nuts! I can't think of how that could be an accident...

Has anyone heard of a company using seeds as a filler? If not, Hevi-Shot has some explaining to do...
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:10 am

He should take better care of his ammo . I never leave my ammo out, or out in the garage.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:16 am

Hevi shot uses flax seed as a spacer, and to give a better more uniform crimp on the shell. Shows you this on the back of the box, where the flax seed is placed in the shell, and its also not an invasive species. The folks at EMI are really into being environmentally friendly and they feel that this is worth it so they are not spreading plastic filler, which is what most companies use, all over the place. If you have any other questions please let me know.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:17 am

It's nice to know that it is flax seed but should we regaurdless of how its stored since not every hunter is capable of buying a "safe" gun safe with kids in the home have to worry about rodents destroying their shells? I've used hevi metal the past year and never knew anything about this till I saw the video and opened one myself. Luckily I haven't had this issue but I also keep mine in the house and in a cabinet. There should be a better alternative for an environmental friendly filler but I do applaud them for making the effort many others have yet to.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Re: Hevi Metal Concerns *Answered*

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:42 am

I keep my ammo in several different size plastic conatiners that breath (depending on shot size) from Wally World . Inside a closet that I put a lock on it, pretty cheap, easy and functional way to keep my ammo from laying around in the garage. And far away from my guns and rodents,

Also, their ad in every magazine I have show the side view break down of components , flax seed included. I think they were or are hiding anything !
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby MM » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:06 am

I just want to make sure I'm reading this right. You are angry because HEVI Shot didn't put a warning on the box because they use Flax as filler? Maybe I missed it but what exactly is the problem? Mice or water?

MM
Like us on facebook! Reelfishingchat.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ReelFishi ... 6234462878
MM
Super Moderator

Postby SPatrick » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:40 pm

Josh the OP put up a youtube video that showed a guy who left his shells in his garage and mice got in and ate all the flax seed out of his shells, he was upset about something that was his own fault. Guy on the video acted like if he would have known the shells were spaced with flax seed he wouldn't have let them sit out in his garage... :no: It's right on the back of the box fellas.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby jehler » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:15 pm

What is the density of the flax seeds? Are they full density flax or some lightweight bargain flax seed? Good luck finding out from customer service!
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Or are we ileagaly baiting when shooting Hevi Metal???? Note the last line!
Quote:
Flaxseed is found in all kinds of today's foods from crackers to frozen waffles to oatmeal. The Flax Council estimates close to 300 new flax-based products were launched in the U.S. and Canada in 2010 alone. Not only has consumer demand for flaxseed grown, agricultural use has also increased. Flaxseed is what's used to feed all those chickens that are laying eggs with higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids.

"Pro staffer of nothing and loving it".

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:52 am

So...I've never even picked up a box of Hevi-Shot, so this was a bit alarming to me. Not that ammo in the garage was ruined, but that there were seeds in the load.

What is the benefit? SPatrick said that it is used as a spacer...a spacer for what? Does anyone else do this?

I'm sure that all kinds of testing was done before they started adding seeds to the shells. Has anyone seen what kind of testing was done or the results? (Cujo can pop me here, and tell me that google is my friend :wink: )

Just curious...
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:18 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:So...I've never even picked up a box of Hevi-Shot, so this was a bit alarming to me. Not that ammo in the garage was ruined, but that there were seeds in the load.

What is the benefit? SPatrick said that it is used as a spacer...a spacer for what? Does anyone else do this?

I'm sure that all kinds of testing was done before they started adding seeds to the shells. Has anyone seen what kind of testing was done or the results? (Cujo can pop me here, and tell me that google is my friend :wink: )

Just curious...

Have you googled your question above? It's all pretty available and nothing hidden . Might be a better source for clarity .

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:44 am

Why don't they fill the remaining area with, I don't know, shot?
talltimber
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:47 am

jehler wrote:What is the density of the flax seeds? Are they full density flax or some lightweight bargain flax seed? Good luck finding out from customer service!

I hate you sometimes lol.

All shells use some form of spacer in order to get a better crimp on the shell. Most use plastic or cardboard of some sort, hevi shot uses flax seed. There are numerous other reloaders that use flax or similar seeds as a spacer as well, just no other big ammo manufacturer, at least to my knowledge. And no you are not baiting, I have never seen flax in the water after I fire a shell, most probably burns off.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby jehler » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:28 am

SPatrick wrote:

I would ask you the density of your hate, but I realize you can't answer so I won't ;)
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:32 pm

SPatrick wrote:
jehler wrote:What is the density of the flax seeds? Are they full density flax or some lightweight bargain flax seed? Good luck finding out from customer service!

And no you are not baiting, I have never seen flax in the water after I fire a shell, most probably burns off.

Well, that's pretty scientific and factual .... :rolleyes:

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:02 am

Sorry hope this helps you, it has been dried and treated and therefore cannot germinate. That sounds a bit more sciency.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:48 am

SPatrick wrote:Sorry hope this helps you, it has been dried and treated and therefore cannot germinate. That sounds a bit more sciency.

Someone else was concerned with the germinating, I question , it's value as a food source to animals, chickens (as noted prior ) and waterfowl. Sure it gets shot out and maybe smaller in size, but the fact remains, it's a food source for waterfowl :huh:

Just seems weird to me.....

Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting