Duck Hunting Forum banner

Hevi Metal Concerns *Answered*

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Weedwacker 
#1 ·
I guess the biggest question for Hevi-Shot other than why don't they warn us on the box of this, but is this a plamt seed of an invasive species?

#4 ·
Hevi shot uses flax seed as a spacer, and to give a better more uniform crimp on the shell. Shows you this on the back of the box, where the flax seed is placed in the shell, and its also not an invasive species. The folks at EMI are really into being environmentally friendly and they feel that this is worth it so they are not spreading plastic filler, which is what most companies use, all over the place. If you have any other questions please let me know.

#5 ·
It's nice to know that it is flax seed but should we regaurdless of how its stored since not every hunter is capable of buying a "safe" gun safe with kids in the home have to worry about rodents destroying their shells? I've used hevi metal the past year and never knew anything about this till I saw the video and opened one myself. Luckily I haven't had this issue but I also keep mine in the house and in a cabinet. There should be a better alternative for an environmental friendly filler but I do applaud them for making the effort many others have yet to.

#6 ·
I keep my ammo in several different size plastic conatiners that breath (depending on shot size) from Wally World . Inside a closet that I put a lock on it, pretty cheap, easy and functional way to keep my ammo from laying around in the garage. And far away from my guns and rodents,

Also, their ad in every magazine I have show the side view break down of components , flax seed included. I think they were or are hiding anything !

#8 ·
Josh the OP put up a youtube video that showed a guy who left his shells in his garage and mice got in and ate all the flax seed out of his shells, he was upset about something that was his own fault. Guy on the video acted like if he would have known the shells were spaced with flax seed he wouldn't have let them sit out in his garage... :no: It's right on the back of the box fellas.

#9 ·
What is the density of the flax seeds? Are they full density flax or some lightweight bargain flax seed? Good luck finding out from customer service!

#10 ·
Or are we ileagaly baiting when shooting Hevi Metal???? Note the last line!
Quote:
Flaxseed is found in all kinds of today's foods from crackers to frozen waffles to oatmeal. The Flax Council estimates close to 300 new flax-based products were launched in the U.S. and Canada in 2010 alone. Not only has consumer demand for flaxseed grown, agricultural use has also increased. Flaxseed is what's used to feed all those chickens that are laying eggs with higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids.

"Pro staffer of nothing and loving it".

#11 ·
So...I've never even picked up a box of Hevi-Shot, so this was a bit alarming to me. Not that ammo in the garage was ruined, but that there were seeds in the load.

What is the benefit? SPatrick said that it is used as a spacer...a spacer for what? Does anyone else do this?

I'm sure that all kinds of testing was done before they started adding seeds to the shells. Has anyone seen what kind of testing was done or the results? (Cujo can pop me here, and tell me that google is my friend :wink: )

Just curious...

#12 ·
Feelin' Fowl said:
So...I've never even picked up a box of Hevi-Shot, so this was a bit alarming to me. Not that ammo in the garage was ruined, but that there were seeds in the load.

What is the benefit? SPatrick said that it is used as a spacer...a spacer for what? Does anyone else do this?

I'm sure that all kinds of testing was done before they started adding seeds to the shells. Has anyone seen what kind of testing was done or the results? (Cujo can pop me here, and tell me that google is my friend :wink: )

Just curious...
Have you googled your question above? It's all pretty available and nothing hidden . Might be a better source for clarity .

#14 ·
jehler said:
What is the density of the flax seeds? Are they full density flax or some lightweight bargain flax seed? Good luck finding out from customer service!
I hate you sometimes lol.

All shells use some form of spacer in order to get a better crimp on the shell. Most use plastic or cardboard of some sort, hevi shot uses flax seed. There are numerous other reloaders that use flax or similar seeds as a spacer as well, just no other big ammo manufacturer, at least to my knowledge. And no you are not baiting, I have never seen flax in the water after I fire a shell, most probably burns off.

#15 ·
SPatrick said:
I would ask you the density of your hate, but I realize you can't answer so I won't ;)

#16 ·
SPatrick said:
jehler said:

And no you are not baiting, I have never seen flax in the water after I fire a shell, most probably burns off.
Well, that's pretty scientific and factual .... :rolleyes:

#18 ·
SPatrick said:
Sorry hope this helps you, it has been dried and treated and therefore cannot germinate. That sounds a bit more sciency.
Someone else was concerned with the germinating, I question , it's value as a food source to animals, chickens (as noted prior ) and waterfowl. Sure it gets shot out and maybe smaller in size, but the fact remains, it's a food source for waterfowl :huh:

Just seems weird to me.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.