Woodies

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Woodies

Postby Michigan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:31 pm

Seeing that wood ducks are on the smaller side, is it worth the effort to skin them and clean them out or should I just breast them?
Michigan
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:14 pm

breast 'em
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby duckjumper » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:07 pm

It's a matter of taste. I don't breast out anything because I personally consider it a waste of game. I am a true believer in the waxing technique:

Get a big kettle of water hot but NOT boiling.

Rough-pluck your field=dressed birds (get the big feathers off, nothing real thorough)

Drop a brick of paraffin wax into the water (you can get it at the canning section of your mega-mart) and when the wax melts, dip the duck/goose/pheasant/pigeon/quail/etc into it while holding the head. dip several times to get it coated and them toss into a bucket of COLD water. The wax will set.

Once you do this, you pick the wax off and presto! you have a plucked bird.

This wastes no part of the bird, looks cool and keeps the skin intact (usually) the skin is CRITICAL, because it will keep your meat juicy. A little more effort, but very worth it.

d.j.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby Blackdogs » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:01 pm

Really no need for the wax. Just heat up some water and dip the bird, use a wooden spoon or something to pull the water up into the feathers.

Pull feathers and then crank up the propane torch and put some fire on the bird to burn off the "hairs".

I think the skin adds to the taste and tenderness of the bird. Roast and serve!!!
Blackdogs
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:03 pm

Yeah, you're right, but wax just makes it a bit easier.

And thanks for reminding me about the torch! That's key for those hard-to-get places.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:42 pm

Id just breast'em
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby large1 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:03 pm

duckjumper wrote:It's a matter of taste. I don't breast out anything because I personally consider it a waste of game.
d.j.
I totally agree with you jumper. Besides the skin is where a lot of your flavor is and what is wrong with the legs and thighs?All very good meat (except for coots) And as good as woodies are why would you ruin them by skinning or breasting? Take no offense as none is intended and those are only my 2 cents
large1
hunter

Postby thaner » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:09 pm

If you are not into roasting you can still skin one. Cut of the legs and thighs off and use them in a crock pot dish.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking