Too Brush or Not Too Brush

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Too Brush or Not Too Brush

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:52 am

I've always wondered whether brushing in blinds on the coast was worth the effort? I've noticed that north of Portsmouth Island almost all of the blinds are heavily brushed. South of there they are typically bare bone boxes on stilts with maybe a few sprigs here and there. I do know that over time I personally killed more birds out of brushed blinds. Things being equal (and without the use of bait), is brushing a blind worth the trouble on the coast?
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Re: Too Brush or Not Too Brush

Postby Gen. Lee » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:35 am

It is surprising how many birds you can shoot from an unbrushed, or barely brushed, blind, but I have mostly hunted out of brushed blinds on the coast. It seems that if you are on the right flight path, you will get shots. It stands to reason that you can get away with more movement from a brushed blind than an unbrushed one, so for that reason alone I think it is worth the trouble. And it can really be a lot of trouble. I've seen 3 or 4 guys cut reeds for 2 hours and still feel like we should have cut more...

Heh, just make sure that you are in between where they are gonna be and where they are gonna want to be...
Gen. Lee
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:32 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about your teeth. To me brushing a blind and my teeth is something you should do.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:34 pm

All the bushes do is to hide or break up the movement of the hunters. If you could stay perfectly still you could kill ducks out in the open with camo clothing, but we don't live in a perfect world so brushing a blind tends to help conceal the hunters. Also depends on the species hunted, sea ducks are not as wary as puddlers and can be shot from an open white boat with clorox bottles for decoys.
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Islander Gunner wrote:All the bushes do is to hide or break up the movement of the hunters. If you could stay perfectly still you could kill ducks out in the open with camo clothing, but we don't live in a perfect world so brushing a blind tends to help conceal the hunters. Also depends on the species hunted, sea ducks are not as wary as puddlers and can be shot from an open white boat with clorox bottles for decoys.

By the time they get here to NC, they have caught on and get wary of boats and decoys after some hunting pressure . We use boat blinds and plenty of good decoys to get sea ducks into gunning range.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:08 pm

bushed and as low profile as possible
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:10 am

Box blinds on stilts for divers don't necessarily have to be brushed for success but as Gen. Lee mentioned they have to be in the right spot. Brushing a blind 8' above the water is virtually a waste as it already sticks out (no pun intended). Blinds on the bank or at water level are typically brushed to make them blend in with the surroundings or to look more natural. I've always preferred lower blinds with natural brush especially if they are tucked into trees or tall coastal cane/grass so they virtually disappear from view.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby merg » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:12 am

Theres also the issue of the boat. Unless you're gettin dropped off or you wanna walk the boat off a 1/4 mile and wade back you gotta have a boat hide that you will want bushed. We bush all but two of ours (no boat hide)-those two we cut eye slits at seated eye level so you don't have to be peekin up/movin around. All things considered I 'd much rather be in a bushed blind, BUT, we do have to pretty much become loggers in Sept/Oct/Nov to get em all bushed-thats if we don't get no hurricane. Last season we were rebushin/repairin up to mid Jan. due to Sandy.
merg
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting