New hunter advice??? :?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

New hunter advice??? :?

Postby Trucks4U » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Hey I have about two to three dozen mallards one pintail three golden eyes a dozen magnum mallards and a dozen super magnum mallards. Dozen geese floaters. They are the greatest but the will do for now. What else should I get to have a successful season? Thank for any and I mean any info.
Trucks4U
hunter

Re: New hunter advice??? :?

Postby duckdozer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:10 am

Scouting is #1 if there arent birds where you hunt you can have all the decoys in the world and never fire a shot. Learn the patterns of the birds you are hunting. Pick up a call and learn how correctly blow a call, dont watch the calling contests or any of the TV shows it is a wonder how they ever kill anything with the over aggressive calling they do. Take it easy. Be courtious to the other guys out there, dont set up on someone, dont sky-blast, and let the birds work. Don't be shy either, if you are loading up your gear or unloading at the parking lot be friendly a lot of times if there is just another guy he might let YOU join up with him and learn a little. I have met a lot of great guys out there from parking lot chats, also some tools as well but to each thier own. You might want a dog at some point in time, earn a dog for yourself bird dogging it for a couple of yrs and understand what a properly trained dog can do for you. No one wants to hear ppl yelling at thier unruly dog from across the marsh or lake. Enjoy yourself, enjoy the birds and the nice serene environment before the banging happens it is awesome.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Trucks4U » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks a lot that really helps. I can call ducks pretty well as I have been hunting with my uncle for over ten years but I have just never done it on my own. And I am not in familiar land so scouting will more than likely be the success of this years hunt. I know the setups and different call types and stuff of that nature, but the talking to people in the parking lot is a really good tip. It's kind of like playing disc golf as long as someone is nice to me and courteous I have no problem showing them a few things. Kinda passing it along to the next generation type thing. If anyone else has anything to input feel free. I also like the do's and don'ts like not causing problems on hunting land and things like that. Thanks for the help much appreciated dozer.
Trucks4U
hunter

Postby KSRedleg » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:03 pm

Rules for public hunting.
Get there early, don't crowd others that beat you there, be ready to hunt at legal shooting time, don't skybust, don't over call, and if your dog ain't trained leave him home. That'll help you keep the peace with 90% of the other hunters.

For the other 10% grow a thick skin, cuz they'll always be beechin' about somethin'. :yes:
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Postby Trucks4U » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:14 pm

I hear about it a lot but what is sky busting???
Trucks4U
hunter

Postby DanJeffandJack » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:11 am

Shooting birds that are high up in the sky with little chance of hitting them or shooting birds that are working someone else's spread that happen to swing over your spot.
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Trucks4U wrote: What else should I get to have a successful season?

Primary for success is a good place to hunt. And....it's possibly the toughest single thing to acquire.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Agreed mudpack but sometimes the bird just don't like you. This last season for example we saw plenty of birds on the Kansas river but most of the time one bunch would land up or down river from us and would draw the vast majority of the birds looking to land.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:55 am

ksfowler166 wrote:Agreed mudpack but sometimes the bird just don't like you. This last season for example we saw plenty of birds on the Kansas river but most of the time one bunch would land up or down river from us and would draw the vast majority of the birds looking to land.

In that case, an experienced duck hunter would just pick up and move to where the birds are landing.
But, then, that's part of Advanced Duck Hunting, and maybe I shouldn't be revealing it yet........ :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:52 pm

mudpack wrote:In that case, an experienced duck hunter would just pick up and move to where the birds are landing.
But, then, that's part of Advanced Duck Hunting, and maybe I shouldn't be revealing it yet........ :biggrin:

Be my guest to try to swim in the river with all your hunting gear and water over your head. My theory is your freezing or drowning before you get there.
Last edited by ksfowler166 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:28 pm

ksfowler166 wrote:
mudpack wrote:In that case, an experienced duck hunter would just pick up and move to where the birds are landing.

Be may guess to try to swim in the river with all your hunting gear and water over your head. My theory is your freezing or drowning before you get there.

I think you meant "be my guest" lmao :lol:
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:01 pm

ksfowler166 wrote:Be my guest to try to swim in the river with all your hunting gear and water over your head. My theory is your freezing or drowning before you get there.

All I can say is you are the only river hunter I know of who swims to his spot.

Must be the inexperience....
mudpack
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Do you backstroke or doggy paddle? When your swimming? I like to walk across, after the river freeze over but I let my dog go first..
cONG
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:25 pm

I would never send my dog on ice I wouldnt walk on, she means more to me than my own life IMO.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:57 pm

How come I can't see duckdozer's avatar??
mudpack
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:15 pm

mudpack wrote:How come I can't see duckdozer's avatar??

IDK but I fixed it.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
duckdozer
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting