RNT Speck call and the scratch

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

RNT Speck call and the scratch

Postby Sugartowns Finest » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:22 am

For you RNT speck call users, I am getting decent at running my custom RNT speck call. I can get the two notes, three notes, ground clucks and really get the "ucka-ucka" clucking going to sound like several birds. More or less, I can call birds to the gun. I did have a Redbone and I'm not ashamed to admit it was too complicated for me. One thing they emphasized on the Redbone was the "scratch" sound as being the low end of the scale. I would like to get this sound out of my RNT if it will. Anybody able to do it, got any pointers?? Wanted to ask, see if I can add another element to my calling. I am ate up with Speck hunting and wanting to be really good at it. i'm on my way, just want to add some more dynamics if I can.
Cupped wings and stretched legs getting ready for the splashdown
Sugartowns Finest
hunter

Re: RNT Speck call and the scratch

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 pm

I've not heard Wright's instructional, and we may well have semantic differences over what's called "scratch". But to me that's just putting some buzz or rattle in a note by leaving your airway open and letting the air take its time and rattle around a bit, as if you were coughing, rather than pushing the air cleanly out through a more constricted passage, as if whistling, to get high, clean notes. And having run RNT speck calls since their first run of polys, I can assure you they'll do it.

But I see you're in Stuttgart and reckon I'd go sit with Stephens a while for some hands on help. He seems speck crazy, too.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Sugartowns Finest » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. I started on RNT speck calls then tried the Redbone. Quickly went back to RNT and just put a lot of time into it, which has helped tremendously. The RNT instructional CD is real basic just to get started. I would like to pick Stephens brain on speck calling.
Cupped wings and stretched legs getting ready for the splashdown
Sugartowns Finest
hunter

Postby Klondike » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:58 am

Scratch,rasp,buzz,dirtiness,however you want to describe it----audible voice into the call to produce the rattle---hum into the call

Much less forgiving on a small bore call then a big bore

A small bore will do it,but it is like a razor,mouth cavity gets out of whack,too much hands,etc...it is gone
Klondike
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum