Duck Dynasty

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Duck Dynasty

Postby iFAIL » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm not sure who all watch the tv show Duck Dynasty with Duck Commander but here is my question. With so many people watching it, anyone scared that this might be the year we run into the biggest group of rookie duck hunter just because of the show? I would hate to have my spot taken by a group of rookie duck hunters trying to look cool in camo and having no idea what to do out there.
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Re: Duck Dynasty

Postby mauserfan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 pm

I started seeing this 4-5 years ago. My son and I ran into some real tools about 4 years back, in an area that my family has been hunting since the mid 1930's. We have since moved due to all of the 18 footers, mud motors and brand new camo gear. I think it will eventually die down but sure has made a mess for the time being.
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:18 pm

New hunters are our future. I have seen no appreciable difference, and there will always jackassery in the swamp. I'll take some skybusting from some here and there from people who are learning in order to have a bigger voice at the voting booth.

I personally welcome a new waves of hunters, although I can't say that I've seen any such wave.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby goldfish » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:32 pm

I know of a few people who watch the show who do not like hunting, simply because it is a good, wholesome show. Seriously, how many decent shows are on any more that have a good message? If they can show hunters in a good light, than I'm all for it. If this is what is teaching these kids about hunting, then I'd prefer it over foils and the other DB hosts.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:18 am

I watch the show and enjoy it. Not sure if I've seen more hunters or not. Water has been low the past two seasons. With low water comes less spots. Less spots everyone is a lot closer together. I certainly think that the low water has caused more issues then a tv show. Like another post I welcome new guys. Heck I wouldn't have a problem taking new guys to show them the ropes. Other then that public hunting is just that, and I like the challenge of it.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:28 pm

I watch the show and just force myself into a mindset that doesn't care about anything. Everything on the show is fake so when I watch it I just accept that and don't let it bother me. I like Phil and Si, but the rest of the people are kind of choads imo.

I have the duck commander spinner and it broke on me the first weekend I had it. For that reason alone I have trouble watching the show.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Let me clarify my first post... I cannot say that what we have encountered is due to this TV show. I have never watched it and most likely never will. What we have seen are a number of very aggressive and unsportsmanlike groups that are showing up in areas that we hunt. They don't understand that you back off and set up in another area rather than setting up just a 1/4 mile away from the first party. Maybe it's a lack of education."This"is disappointing. Not that fact that there are newcomers to the sport. We had a very discouraging incident a few years back, that no hunter should ever have to encounter, and the worst of it was that my 8 year old son was with me. Fortunately, the fact of the matter is that these guys are fair weather hunters and are rarely encountered later on. Another fortunate fact is that the local wardens are aware of these parties and they show their presence whenever they are around. Long and short of it, I would much rather hunt a marsh with hunters that are in sportboats and canoes than those with the latest, greatest & extreme 3-1/2" gear. Just my .02. Take care and good hunting. Mauser :thumbsup:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:46 am

I'm kind of curious as to what happened in this discouraging incident.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:10 pm

mauserfan wrote:Let me clarify my first post... I cannot say that what we have encountered is due to this TV show. I have never watched it and most likely never will. What we have seen are a number of very aggressive and unsportsmanlike groups that are showing up in areas that we hunt. They don't understand that you back off and set up in another area rather than setting up just a 1/4 mile away from the first party. Maybe it's a lack of education."This"is disappointing. Not that fact that there are newcomers to the sport. We had a very discouraging incident a few years back, that no hunter should ever have to encounter, and the worst of it was that my 8 year old son was with me. Fortunately, the fact of the matter is that these guys are fair weather hunters and are rarely encountered later on. Another fortunate fact is that the local wardens are aware of these parties and they show their presence whenever they are around. Long and short of it, I would much rather hunt a marsh with hunters that are in sportboats and canoes than those with the latest, greatest & extreme 3-1/2" gear. Just my .02. Take care and good hunting. Mauser :thumbsup:

I run a latest and greatest mud boat, and shoot a 3.5" so I am the problem? :huh: :huh: :huh: I wish I could go a few days without another boat set-up with in 1/4 mile! I agree guys have gotten rude and have some major ethics problems. But that doesn't mean it's everyone. I enjoy the challenge of public land duck hunting. If I want peace and quiet I go bowhunting.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Not a problem at all to tell you. It was opening day and shooting started at 0900. At about daybreak, my son and I paddled into a small opening that we intended to set up in. I could see that there was someone already along the far side pulled in. I told my boy that we'll just sit tight for a minute until I can decide where to move to. Not a big deal. Before we could move, they shouted "Don't even think of hunting here" followed by "If you don't move we're gonna F*****ing shoot". This is the first time...ever...that I have run across this. Ever. We moved to a different spot. After we got set up, about 1030, the state and federal wardens pulled up to our spot, checked us out, talked with my son and asked how things were going. I told them about what had happened earlier. They were visibly disgusted and asked if I could put them onto this group. I gave them directions into their locale and they headed directly there. They were close enough that I could hear the wardens shut down when they came up to their rig. They were there at least 45 minutes before leaving. Immediately after, these guys pulled their decoys, fired up their motor and left. Since, there has been a visible presence of these wardens. Both on the water and off. We have since changed up how we go about things so we don't run into clowns like this again. Also, dfrauenkron: I don't agree with your assessment. Respectfully sir, go fish steelhead in Michigan if you like the crowds. It's nice to enjoy hunting. Have a good evening....Mauser :thumbsup:
mauserfan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:57 pm

If you haven't watched it how can you comment?

I would say any issues are more likely the result of a continued social decay. People are more self centered these days and at least less aware of how their actions impact others.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mauserfan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:31 am

I've been aware of the Robertsons' and their following for a number of years. Just figured the show would sensationalize what they do. Anyways, I'll buy what you are stating in regards to the overall degredation of respect and a loss of awareness of how any action has an impact upon others. Like I mentioned, we have taken it upon ourselves to avoid any similar situation in the future. That's about all that can be done. Good hunting....Mauser :smile:
mauserfan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:46 pm

mauserfan wrote:I've been aware of the Robertsons' and their following for a number of years. Just figured the show would sensationalize what they do. Anyways, I'll buy what you are stating in regards to the overall degredation of respect and a loss of awareness of how any action has an impact upon others. Like I mentioned, we have taken it upon ourselves to avoid any similar situation in the future. That's about all that can be done. Good hunting....Mauser :smile:

Well for what it's worth I think you handled the situation well. I've seen many a moron act like an *** in front of their kids over a couple birds. No excuse for it, and what you did is an example why...there are other options.

Cheers!
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:56 pm

My fiance and I watch the show and enjoy it as good entertainment. It is a great unscripted TV show. They do not call it a reality show because they do not follow them around and just tape what they do. They set up a situation and see how they react or act and it is funny. I don't think newcomers are coming out because of the show. I think a lot of the new guys out have not had some one show them a good respectful time out in the marsh and some might have been raised in such away in that they did not see their parents give people respect. I believe the newest generation of hunters do have less respect for the sport but that being said it is up to those who want this sport to grow and succeed need to take a youth hunting or take some new out and show them how fun it can be and how to respect others on the water. Just my .02
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:09 pm

I got news for you...it's scripted. I don't see that as taking anything away from it, but thought I would shed some light.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:33 pm

I guess what I was saying by scripted it was they dont have lines completely wrote out for them to say. The situations that they are put in are totally wrote out but I think they react in whatever way they react. Even if it is all written and I am completely wrong it is still a fun show to watch in my opinion.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:38 am

I don't see the show causing the issue at all. If it does spark new interest (which who says that is bad) I doubt the people who watch it run out buy all the stuff needed and go cause problems. I more see the result being, hey who do I know that duck hunts? then they give them a call and ask if they will bring them out. Then you have someone who hunts showing them how its done. I could be way off, but with the age group of people who typically seem to watch it, how many of them have the spending cash these days to on a whim go buy all the needed stuff to go duck hunting? my opinion they are more likely to go out with someone they know. I think the low water like stated above causes more issues to due the increased density of the existing hunters.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:17 pm

I would say the show recruits more suburban and semi-rural kids to wanting to be a what their idea of "country" is or hick culture, than it does recruit actual new hunters.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:43 pm

MinnesotaDan wrote:I would say the show recruits more suburban and semi-rural kids to wanting to be a what their idea of "country" is or hick culture, than it does recruit actual new hunters.

And what is the foundation of your sophisticated anecdote? I'm not trying to be an ***, but I think it's a stretch to make such an assertion without any information to support it. Perhaps there is some licensing data though??? If the number of younger hunters went up significantly in the past couple year or this year there might be something to it.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:38 pm

beretta24 wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:I would say the show recruits more suburban and semi-rural kids to wanting to be a what their idea of "country" is or hick culture, than it does recruit actual new hunters.

And what is the foundation of your sophisticated anecdote? I'm not trying to be an ***, but I think it's a stretch to make such an assertion without any information to support it. Perhaps there is some licensing data though??? If the number of younger hunters went up significantly in the past couple year or this year there might be something to it.

I don't think this show has anything to do with an increase in young hunters, because there hasn't been one. I think the show makes it more cool for kids to be "country" or "hick". You know... The type that listens to Jason Aldean and wear camo for no reason.

That's just my humble opinion, as being "country" def has become more popular in recent years.

I'm pretty sure actual statistics show a decline in outdoor recreation that covers a broad spectrum.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:22 am

I watch the show and it is entertaining in its own right. It is not about duck hunting, but more about family and friends. If a lot of impressionable young wanna-be hunters get excited over it, perhaps they should start adding a little bit of duck hunting etiquette into their program...such as not setting up on others, degrade skybusting, and so forth. They have an opportunity to teach as well as entertain.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:33 pm

That would be really cool of them. Instead they have some old lady with a face lift babble on about nothing.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:39 pm

If they actually showed duck hunting on the show I bet numbers would increase significantly.

I just got into duck hunting in the last 3 years :yes:
kbooger
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:29 pm

MinnesotaDan wrote:That would be really cool of them. Instead they have some old lady with a face lift babble on about nothing.

Got a bur up your rear or what? I just like that its not like half of the trash making light of having a family, sex, and taking responsibility for one's own actions. Beyond that to each their own I guess.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:50 pm

beretta24 wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:That would be really cool of them. Instead they have some old lady with a face lift babble on about nothing.

Got a bur up your rear or what? I just like that its not like half of the trash making light of having a family, sex, and taking responsibility for one's own actions. Beyond that to each their own I guess.

Ohhh jeeez please don't think im a bad person cause I find the show corny. I don't think your bad person cause you enjoy it. I really do appreciate your sentiment about it being wholesome show.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Next

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting