Baby Trend decoy cart/sled

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Baby Trend decoy cart/sled

Postby RyanOvertime » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:52 pm

So I am new here and figured I would start off with a build thread. About 2 years ago a buddy of mine moved out of state and gave my wife and I a jogging stroller that they did not want to pack to move. We thought we would use it if we had it but im sure like most people who have these they just sit and collect dust. So i told my wife its mine.
what it is

first thing I unsnapped, de-riveted and pulled off all the nylon pouches and plastic parts.

once I drilled out all the bs rivets i separated all the pieces and assessed my options. So far I have this idea laid out.

more to come
Last edited by RyanOvertime on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyanOvertime
hunter

Re: Baby Trend decoy cart/sled

Postby RyanOvertime » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:54 pm

Next, took the rear axle apart. The sled I will be using is Cabelas utility sled.
3/4" conduit is about .5 mm larger than the steel frame size... Hmmmm
A little heat, and it slides in nice and easy but still extremely snug, I had to put most of my weight onto it while heating it. 230lbs. :beer:
new cross piece in.
there is a plastic plug that goes into the end for the axle on the wheels. I wanted to keep all this working so I can still use the strollers quick release rear wheel mechanism.
re drilled the holes using the factory locations on the plastic parts. I put the wheels release mechanism back in and it works great.
goal is to be able to pull the wheels off if I'm in deeper water, and so the wheels don't grab onto branches or bushes, The sled bottom will just slide over everything and float. :thumbsup:
More to come :beer:
RyanOvertime
hunter

Postby WTRlabDOG » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:15 am

Looking good. Just so you know some of the problems i had with my cart. My cart is a deer cart and i used a rubber maid. To help float it. Here in IL the drought had water levels really law. When i would walk the wheels would lock up because the grass would clog it up. Im using a sled this year.
Please check out my website @ http://www.capitol-outdoorsman..com

Follow me on twitter @capitoloutdoors
Follow me on facebook @ capitoloutdoorsman
WTRlabDOG
hunter

Postby RyanOvertime » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:05 pm

I was anticipating that to happen that is why I went this long route to keep the quick release wheels. One Quick little push of a button the wheels pull straight off. I will have the framing underneath but it will be floating... The refuge I hunt has quite a bit of groomed road so just using a sled would work but would be tiresome after walking the mile to the honey hole dragging it along the gravel and dirt. We may walk about 100 yards in 1'-2' of water but the rest is on groomed roads and dry grassy land.
RyanOvertime
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Great project Ryan, thanks for sharing. Keep posting pics as you go, looking forward to the final product.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby RyanOvertime » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:53 pm

been kicking around a lot of things in my head while waiting for this sled to arrive... I'm thinking lights. Lets do this.
First step. Battery box, inline fuse, and water proof toggle switch. Just a start. More to come.
RyanOvertime
hunter

Postby Fatback » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:06 pm

I think i have the same one in my Shed!
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby imateamroper2 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:53 pm

I wanted to see this thing finished, what happened ?did you toss it in the trash? :huh: :help:
imateamroper2
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting