FRUSTRATING day hunting

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

FRUSTRATING day hunting

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:03 pm

To start i roosted a bird the night before, new exactly where he was! Set up with him 75 yds in front of me and the hens probably 100 behind me (this was at dark thirty). Hens flew down and started cuttin up and next thing i new he flew all the way over me and landed 30 yds behind me! Since i was using a bow and set up for him to come in front all i could do was watch him out the corner of my eye walk off. Got on another bird and had him on a shoulder run to the struttin decoy, when he got to 50 yds, 2 more gobblers ran out and chased him off. Things cant get worse right? Well they did, had another bird comin hard about an hour later. Last gobble he couldnt have been more than 60 yds away. Next thing i knew a deer walked right in front of me and blew then ran directly where the bird was coming from and never heard another word from him again. I hope ive used up most of my bad luck!
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: FRUSTRATING day hunting

Postby Omaha Clucker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Look at the bright side, at least you've got multiple toms hanging around your spot. Just a matter of time
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:43 pm

The chess game is the best part... Enjoy it!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Every time they beat me just makes it that more awesome when i put a tag around ones leg! Bow hunting definitely makes it much harder but when i finally let an arrow fly it is much more rewarding!
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby ghelemabz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:39 am

callumcuffumkillum wrote:Every time they beat me just makes it that more awesome when i put a tag around ones leg! Bow hunting definitely makes it much harder but when i finally let an arrow fly it is much more rewarding!

agree with you its hard yes but when u release the arrow its worth it :thumbsup:
I cant leave without my survival knife
ghelemabz
Newb

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:54 am

Except for last your when i missed one at 9 ft, yes im SERIOUS 9 FEET, he came down the edge of the field and i was setup maybe 5 ft in the woods. No joke he was 9 ft in full strutt, i could see him blink. I just knew he taking a ride home with me until i heard a loud wack when a hit the release and saw the arrow sail straight up in the air. I failed to mention one branch in front of me. When i sat down i noticed it was there but didnt think it would be a problem because it was so low, which it would have been out the way if i had been shooting farther than 10 yds but in the excitement i forgot! As my grandma says, "some days just be's that way"
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 am

Any better luck over the weekend? I'm under 2 weeks to go now and chompin at the bit!
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Saturday i took a ten year old for youth day and had action all morning and yes lots of bad luck up until 345. Called a bird in to 30 yds off the roost. He came in running to the decoy cut saw the kid move at 30 yds and stopped. I was telling him to shoot the whole time while he was walking off but for some reason he didn't shoot and had no reason for why he didn't. Just got caught up in all the excitement! Hour later around 10 we got on 2 got birds. They first gobbled no more than 150 yds away and i knew they would come fast so we sat down real quick shoulder to shoulder. The birds came in straight to my left and he was next to me on my right. They got 10 yds from me and turned around! Nobody's fault that time they just came in from the wrong side. I should have been right behind him but there wasn't anywhere for me to get. 3 o'clock we found a bird in a field by himself, set up around the corner and he came on a string! He missed him at 25 yds but luckily he stopped at 45 yds and he rolled him. He couldn't have been happier!!
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum