New Waterfowl Rule Changes?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: ghostingrey, randy marci, quackadikt

New Waterfowl Rule Changes?

Postby ryangar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 am

Now that Duck Season has come to an end it is time to start thinking of possiable new rules or changes to exciting waterfowl Rules for the State.

We have a new waterfowl person in the state. This is also the year where the Game Commission has opened up all review of waterfowl rules and possiable new rules for waterfowl hunting here in the State. The commission will be hearing all proposals at its meeting on May 23 2013 in Roswell. Myself and 2 other guys will be heading down to the meeting to make sure our voices are heard as Hunters. We are also trying to set up a meeting with the new waterfowl person here in Abq. before the commission meeting to express our conserns.

If you have any ideas or things that you would like to see changed or new rules added to the proclamation for the up coming year please share here or PM myself or you can email me at ggretrievers@aol.com

I will be at the commission meeting as a Representative of Duke City Duck Club which now has no affiliation with any national orginazations anymore. We are soley focusing on Waterfowl hunting and conservation for the State.

Please Speak Up if you want to see change.

Ryan Garrett
President Duke City Duck Club.
ryangar
hunter

Re: New Waterfowl Rule Changes?

Postby NMYCF » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:06 pm

1. Remove Sandoval County as a CLOSED county to dark goose hunting.
2. Add a mentor/youth hunt to the Bernardo WMA Youth area.
3. Add an afternoon hunt (1pm to sunset) for mentor/youth hunting at Bernardo and La Joya WMAs.
NM Youth Conservation Foundation
NMYCF
hunter

Postby Toller_Atlas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:57 pm

1. Remove Sandoval County as a CLOSED county to dark goose hunting.

I'll second that.
I sure am glad the dog keeps letting me borrow his truck.
Toller_Atlas
hunter

Postby flashman252 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:18 pm

these are just possibilities and kind of far out ideas.
1)Draws for blinds in bernardo and la joya
2)Identification tests to obtain a waterfowl license
flashman252
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:35 pm

Guys we need some ideas for this. I am planning to take off work this month to meet with the state waterfowl reps. Also looking to take of in May to hit the state meeting in Rosswell. They are willing to listen to any and ideas/concerns. From what Im being told, funding is not much of an issue as it may seem. The main issue is that public forums are not the place to gripe and complain and expect things to change. These are formal meetings set with the state where our ideas can be publicly documented. This is our chance to voice what we want. Everyone says that this is a big game state. Well guess who makes the state meetings to voice their ides and concerns, the big game guys. If you cant make the meetings, since they are during the week, lets get a group together before April 15th and get some ideas going. They are open to anything and everything. Management, safety, feed, ect. This is our time, lets come together and be heard.
duckahlr
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:26 am

NMYCF wrote:1. Remove Sandoval County as a CLOSED county to dark goose hunting.

I'll third that.

flashman252 wrote:these are just possibilities and kind of far out ideas.

That would be nice but I don't see it happening, id'ing a bird in a picture is a lot different than on the wing hunting.

Going along the same lines, it would be great if there were some way to educate people on the effective range of a shotgun and when ducks are actually in range...but I don't know how that could possibly be implemented
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby NMYCF » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:25 am

I think a lot of people would like to see some sort of class on identification and education on effective range and such. Like you, I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I'm sure ya'll remember couple years back NMDGF was making everyone agree to a set of WMA rules online before you could get your free WMA permit..........we all know that didn't work very good. Maybe an organization could work with NMDGF to provide a class for those who want a WMA permit since the Department really doesn't have the manpower to do so. Maybe we could get some signs posted at the WMAs as well. We could also do some waterfowl hunting clinics during the summer that are open to the public. Sportsman's Warehouse would probably let you do it right in the store. Ryangar may be able to help out in that respect......I don't know, just a couple ideas.

I'm also sure that our input to the Department would go a long ways if we came up with some ideas for waterfowlers to help out on the WMA properties. Things like organizing a trash and shell clean up during the summer or getting guys with chainsaws to go in and cut unwanted trees and such. NMDGF is always happy to have folks volunteer.

And Duckahlr, could you get something posted on the Refuge forums about this stuff?

Keep the ideas flowin'!
NMYCF
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:57 am

flashman252 wrote:these are just possibilities and kind of far out ideas.
1)Draws for blinds in bernardo and la joya

While well intended.............neither will correct what we are seeing. Much like increased gun control wont stop a criminal from being a criminal. There are many states out there that hold waterfowling to a much higher degree- they have not found a way to enforce ID management not sure how NM can be the first.

As for blind draws, this is the last thing we want. Talk to someone from states that run a draw system- it sucks! First the state guys dont place the blinds on the X- and the X tends to move from season to season. Second, what if there is a big push and you didn't get drawn..........sorry for you, third most state blinds suck- boxes with the wrong or too much brush.

The best thing we have going in NM is the flexibility to move if needed. Your best bet is just learn how and when to hunt the state WMA's. I have been hunting the WMA's since the mid ninety's- yes I see my share of jerks but I have also experienced hunts that many of the other "Duck States" can't provide.

People we are spoiled, get that straight right now. I have hunted from Maine to California. Aside from a freelance hunt in Alberta harvesting fat mallards and canada's- I'd put our hunting here in NM against any state. So let's not run out and ruin a good thing as we think more controls are needed from F&G.

Suggestions might be-

1) Youth Duck Days- lets' educate the kids now on ID-sportsmanship and gunning
2) Waterfowl clean up days- let's work with the state to set up a fun day cleaning up the WMA's show them we are vested
3) Re-introduce the state duck stamp- funds can be leveraged to build nesting habitat where are birds migrate from. The cost to restore habitat can be mitigated with state and federal funds much easier than building a new WMA.
4) Hunt the WMA's past 1 the last week of season.
5) Increase budget for CO's if we had one CO assigned to Valencia and Soccoro Counties working a 5 day week we could clean up the rotten eggs quickly. This CO must be focused on waterfowl only not pulled in 4 directions once the Big Game season starts
6)Initiate a new study on the Highline Canada Goose to course correct the current seasonal limit- the decisions to limit that season was based upon studies from a non waterfowl biologist and dates back 20 years, yet nobody has challenged it. Please ask what science the season is based upon and whether the data is still relevant.

Good luck-

KLH
KHerbst
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:26 am

570 views and only 7 replys. That's why this state doesn't put a premium on waterfowl. We show no interest. Waterfowling in this state has blow up in the past 5 years. It will change the way we hunt here. There is only so much area with the numbers of hunters growing at an incredible rate. Look at what N. Dakota used to be 15 years ago. Now everything leased, and hunters galore. Not like it was before where you see birds, call the land owner, and go hunt.

I think management is the key. We all have our ideas on how this should be done. However, if we can't come together and let the state know how we feel, it will never happen. The funds are there. The state gets LOADS of money from the Feds. The reason the "Big Game" guys get it is simply the fact that they attend these state meeting and let their voices be heard. We take a week or two off to go shoot ducks but are unwilling to take a morning off to meet with these state folks. By the way April 15th at 9:00, at the State Game and Fish Office in ABQ.

Are we sick of seeing birds resting the city during season? The funds are there for water control, C.O. involvement, ect. It's not like they scour the forums looking for ideas on how to spend the money, so they have public meetings. Imagine this at a meeting, "do we have any issues with our waterfowl management or topics the public would like to discuss?" No, then we must be doing a great job.

Any issues with big game management that public would like to discuss?" (Then 30 land owners stand up, demanding more L/O tags) That's how stuff gets done.

The reason the duck season here is good is because of the hunter numbers are low, not the management and not the duck numbers. This will get worse here. We have no great habitat to hold birds here, so with pressure...the birds will move on, IMO.

We must make these meetings on the 15th and the meeting in Rosswell on May 23rd. On the issue of bird I.D. If a guy knows that his birds will be checked (by a warden) when he leaves, he will spend a little more time on what he is shooting. This kind of management does work.

If guys can't make the meeting, we have ways to conference call, (Skype, iphone, ect) I don't see this fixed in a year but these areas can be improved if everyone is will to pitch in a little time. I won't be here too much longer but I am willing to help while I am here .
duckahlr
hunter

Postby StevenL » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Kevin laid down some really good ideas and Greg is all over the pro-active chart. I've already made plans to be at the meeting here in the big city and am in the process of making arrangements to be at the meeting in Roswell. Anyone interested in riding with me to Roswell for a day trip -send a PM.
StevenL
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 am

Seems the NMG&F is making a serious effort to work with Sportsman throughout the water column. Groups have been working on projects to creat habitat with the NMG&F blessings, as long as these projects are privately funded and cleared through all levels of interested party's.

One such project currently working is by the New Mexico Bass Federation (NMBFN) conservation director Earl Conway has obtained three of the four certificates need to start a structure building/habitat program for a reservoir in the state. This project involves building brush piles, A-frame pallet habitat, and a seeding program which will reintroduce aquatic plant vegetation to our barren reservoir. Clay seed balls will be used, these seed balls will be dropped into various locations with the hope that now plant growth will not only benefit fish, but waterfowl too. I know where I'll be dropping mine :grooving:

This project not only requires private funding, it also requires personal time,and manpower.

A single groups agenda is fine, however IF we could understand that all Sportsman in NM working together not only have a larger voice (politically) and we will ALL benefit from habitat improvement.

Who would have ever thunk that waterfowlers would benefit from the work of Bass fisherman :beer: so stop eating Bass jrabq...LOL.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby vlb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:14 pm

I agree with KHerbst .
vlb
hunter

Postby NMYCF » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:42 am

Here's a list of ideas that I've tried to compile from this sight, Facebook, and just talking one-on-one with folks. Just trying to get all the ideas in one place even though everyone may not agree on all the points.

1. Change the Central Flyway “Dark Goose” rule to REMOVE Sandoval County as a closed county.
2. Add a youth/mentor draw hunt to the “Special Bernardo Youth Waterfowl Hunt Area” allowing a mentor to hunt thus encouraging the newly-enacted Family Afield rules and guidelines.
3. Change the times that the Bernardo and La Joya WMAs are open on ONE weekday from 30 minutes before sunrise to 1 pm, to 1pm to sunset. Possibly only allow youth/mentor hunting on that day.
4. Draws for blinds in Bernardo and La Joya.
5. Open Bernardo from sunrise to sunset for Light Goose Conservation Order.
6. Youth duck days – seminar to educate
7. WMA cleanup days.
8. Re-introduce the state duck stamp.
9. Hunt WMAs past 1pm on the last week of season.
10. Increase budget for waterfowl-focused/dedicated COs.
11. Initiate a new study on the Highline Canada Goose to correct the current seasonal limit/dates.
12. Offer or even mandate that waterfowl rule violators attend a waterfowl ID/education course. COs can send offenders to the class as part of their sentence, much like the courts do with traffic school.

Also, NMDGF can't meet on April 15th in the Alb office. They still want to meet before the Game Commission meeting in May and as soon as we have a new date and time, we'll pass it along.

Dave
NMYCF
hunter

Postby vlb » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 pm

On # 12 ,why not ask that the NMG&f have a video on thier site?
vlb
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Dave

#4 Is a hot topic and not supported by many. I would not include as it may cause in-fighting amongst all fowlers, which eventually will lead to a splintered mission. Let's stick with reasonable requests not infringing on those who dont support and requiring state resources to implement.

When potentially asked why we need blind draws....which we don't, it will expose that yes water fowlers like all sportsman have a few bad apples. Lets focus on the positive and weed out those rare rotten ones through education and humiliation.

KLH
KHerbst
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:55 am

Is everyone satisfied with the area pretty much being a 4ft deep body of water? No management ideas?
duckahlr
hunter

Postby NMYCF » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:51 am

Kevin,
Gonna play devil's advocate here because I'm on the fence on what the right thing to do here is. But what if the WMAs were divided up in to hunting areas, not blinds? For instance if Area 1 can support only x number of hunters, and Area 2 supports x numbers of hunters, only that number of hunters can go into that area. That way they can set up their blind wherever they want in the area and not have hunters setting up too close to them and interfering. Setting up a draw system to hunt those areas would make the WMAs a coveted and premier area to hunt and not a free-for-all which is what a lot of posts on this forum complain about. Yes, it would require additional NMDGF staff to do a check-in process at La Joya and Bernardo in the mornings, but the suggestion to have dedicated COs would play into that process. In fact, the personnel that do the check-ins don't necessarily need to be Wardens, just staff, thus leaving the law enforcement to COs. I don't mean to stir the pot and create division among us, just throwing more ideas out there.

Greg,
I assume you're talking about La Joya when you talk about the 4-foot depths. I would assume that a decision based upon some sort of biology study was made to make those ponds that depth for the purpose of attracting divers and providing them a place to roost. As far as I'm concerned, that can be accomplished elsewhere and the depths at a Joya can be reduced. Maybe the reinstatement of the State Duck Stamp could provide funds for additional habitat for divers elsewhere. Again, just ideas and not necessarily rooted in science or reality.
NMYCF
hunter

Postby Dirt » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 pm

I'm for management. Please no new rules.
How bout the m back in wma. Let's spread hunters out in our existing wma's. South la joya for instance. Some major acreage that if managed could yield double the hunting areas we currently have on wma's close to abq. That's what I'm pushing for.
Again. Please no new rules. Like our constitution. We are good. Leave the second amendment alone!
A good place to start I'd say.
Thanks. Derrick
Dirt
hunter

Postby StevenL » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:30 pm

I wasn't at the meeting this morning. . .continuation of employment est quod est
. But I've got permission in writing for the Roswell suare.

Anybody who did go wanna share?
StevenL
hunter

Postby NMYCF » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 am

NMDGF postponed yesterday's meeting. They still want to meet before the Game Commission meeting in May and as soon as we have a new date and time, we'll pass it along.
NMYCF
hunter

Postby NMYCF » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 am

Hey folks, here's another update:
Changes to the Game Bird Rule is no longer on the agenda for the May 23rd Game Commission meeting in Roswell......it is now on the Game Commission meeting agenda for their August 22nd meeting in Grants (venue TBD).
This is good in the sense that we, as waterfowlers, as well as the NMDGF have more time to work through our ideas and come up with a plan for changes that is more developed and thought out. The Department is still desiring to meet with the waterfowl community before the August meeting and as soon as that meeting is rescheduled, that info will be passed along.

In the meantime, please continue to come up with ideas and suggestions and post them here, on the Duke City Duck Club's Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/DukeCityDuckClub?fref=ts), email Ryan at ggretrievers@aol.com, or email me at dstambaugh@nmycf.org.
NMYCF
hunter

Postby StevenL » Thu May 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Maybe if I make a wager that they will cancel that meeting too, they won't.
StevenL
hunter

Postby jrabq » Fri May 03, 2013 8:35 am

Some good ideas, and some not so great ideas. Adding more rules and regs that restrict rather than enhance opportunity is not something I'm generally for. Drawing blinds, or areas for LJ/Bern not a great idea, IMO. More LO presence would be great if they will pay for it.

Reviving the State duck stamp always seems like a great idea, but what it did buy us last time? Serious question, does anyone know the answer? I'm all for it if it will go towards duck hunting related issues.

OK, now I'm off to catch some delicious bass :biggrin:
jrabq
hunter

Postby Dirt » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:02 am

Look at some of the proposed rule changes. Then go back ^^^^ through this.
You will see how these guys here have the ear of the game department. Since they are all close friends.
We are screwed. You guys really don't have a clue.
Thanks.
Dirt
hunter

Postby NM ducker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:48 am

I guess we will see what happens....

just because an intersted party initiates a proposed change does not mean we have to accept it.

Change should be based upon science, experience, historical data, observation and public input.

Best as I can tell, most all of the proposed changes do not take those criteria into account.

I intend on voicing my opinion in a letter to those that determone the outcome.

We are only "screwed" if we choose to let ourselves be "screwed", que no? Dirt?

Join in and take a moment to drop a note to the commissioners listed in the earlier post

Dont sit on the sidelines and let this happen and then bitch about why you you cant hunt when and where you want.

Your days afield will decrease if you hunt more than a couple of days per year at Bernardo/ LJ

Birds will be a LOT less fewer with the roost getting busted regularly. Ever watch how many thousands of birds pour into the Bernardo/ LJ as the sun sets? Kiss those birds goodbye.

Overall hunter success will decrease dramatically as birds go south to the Bosque Del apache and dont come back North

The river will be packed with people since now there will be limited acces to Bernardo/ LJ

Hunter frustration will be at an all time high.

Make yourself known, it takes but a few minutes
NM ducker
Newb

Next

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting