Fishing the gulf

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON

Fishing the gulf

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 pm

I have fished fresh water my whole life, however in May I will be moving to Corpus Christi TX, and will be fishing the bays and flats. I just picked up a pflueger president and I am looking to pair it with a 7ft medium action rod. My question is what are some of the set ups that y'all use reels, rods, line/leaders, bait/lures. I am just trying to prep now that way I will waste no time getting on the water. At first I will be wade fishing until I get a boat, possibly fishing out of a kayak. Also, what type of areas and structures should I look to find reds/trout?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice! :beer:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Re: Fishing the gulf

Postby side-slippin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 am

lucky, lucky...

if your familiar with bass fishing your already there. inshore fishing is very similiar you will find.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 am

as far as structure: sandy flats with grass cover, oyster beds, breaks, pier pillons, rock jeddis'
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Alright sounds like I just need the water! :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby BigShotOutdoors » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:57 pm

I've always had the best luck this time of year working points on a bay or points leading into a bayou at between 2-4 ft deep, casting as close to grass as possible.. I use a top water like a mirrolure top dog or she dog early in the morning or when you see bait popping. Then switch to a chartreuse jig head about 3/8 ounce with some sort of plastic: shad like or shrimp like. The thing that never fails is a popping cork with a live shrimp under it. I use 7ft medium heavy poles and use 15-18lb flurocarbon line or 30-50lb braid. We catch reds, trout, flounder, and mackerel using this stuff.
BigShotOutdoors
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:28 am

Marsh drains during tide movement. Why bounce around when you can catch them feeding and funneling in and out of all of the grass and oyster beds. Points are often on the sides of marsh drains. X2 on popping cork 20" 20-30# fluoro leader 10mm red Glass bead and a 3-5/0 kahle or shiner hook between the two black dots on head near the horn of the live shrimp.

Sent from my etcha-sketch brick phone.
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:17 am

Power Pro, shrimp, and a popping cork is all you need.
devildog28
hunter

Return to Fishing