Looking for a boat

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Looking for a boat

Postby pinfeathers12 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:03 pm

I am looking to get a duck boat this summer with Lake Poygan and Rush Lake in mind. Will I need a mud motor to get the most out of hunting these lakes? Or could I get by with something else? I am a rookie to boating needless to say. Thank you very much for your input!
pinfeathers12
hunter

Re: Looking for a boat

Postby pinfeathers12 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:44 pm

Or, has long as I have a jon boat will I be able to cruise the shallow mud without a mud motor?
pinfeathers12
hunter

Postby marktank » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:30 am

I have hunted those lakes with both. If you don't get a mud motor you will be disappointed. I don't know how much you want to spend but I have had both surface drives and long tails and the surface rives in my opinion are waybetter
marktank
hunter

Postby soldier_twiggy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:04 am

I'm selling a 1654 with 40 hp Yamaha and custom duckblind...if you're interested. I've used mine in shallow-ish water by lifting the prop slightly.

sent from my fancy phone-a-ma-jig.
soldier_twiggy
hunter

Postby marktank » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:58 pm

Outboards are the way we used to hunt don't buy one they are not made for shallow water
marktank
hunter

Postby goosie119 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:18 pm

all depends on the water levels at the time. 2 years ago on rush lake you could run anywhere you wanted with an outboard, last year water levels were low and it was tough going for the guys that had smaller jons with longtails. I'd get a mudmotor rig of some sorts, the biggest boat and motor you can afford. I can get anywhere I want with my phowler and prodrive.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting