Registering Home Made Boat?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

Registering Home Made Boat?

Postby jscheirer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm looking to build a wooden/fiberglass boat for hunting season but have a few questions first, hope someone on here can answer them for me.

1.) Can I hunt out of a layout style boat in Illinois? It will be anchored.

2.) If I build a home made boat will I need to register it with the state? If I use a motor will it need to be registered and w/out a motor no need to register?

Thanks in advance for any and all input on the subject!
jscheirer
hunter

Re: Registering Home Made Boat?

Postby Sfd714 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:06 pm

I believe you will need to register it. But everything iv red and ben told is you will need proof of purchase of materials You used to build the boat.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Yes you can hunt out of one. I do. You will need to contact a conservation officer to inspect it when ur done to do paper work to get it registered. The co in my area needed a receipt with supplies bought to build and pictures thru the building process.
coulterville33
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Does it sound like more trouble than its worth? Maybe i'll just keep an eye out for a small boat for sale and just use that. I have a kayak I was thinking on hunting out of in a shallow marsh near me.
jscheirer
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:55 pm

I use a four rivers ebads started with Momarsh Fatboy do and went to four rivers. I found it easier to buy a layout boat and getting it registered and I love hunting from my four rivers. If u buy one just a regular registration deal
coulterville33
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:29 pm

jscheirer wrote:Does it sound like more trouble than its worth? Maybe i'll just keep an eye out for a small boat for sale and just use that. I have a kayak I was thinking on hunting out of in a shallow marsh near me.

I made a layout out of a 14 Jon boat (narrow beam) motorized this past summer to have some thing to keep me out of the bar's :beer:

Was a fun project, boat, motor and trailer all off Craig's list from three different sellers. Flip doors from Four rivers, seat from Momarsh , jack plate from me :thumbsup:
Attachments
image.jpg
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:30 pm

That boat looks nice! I wouldn't mind something like that too. I'm looking to hunt an area that is only available during river flooding in the area. So it may have to be smaller than that too. Do you have a thread about the boat build? Looks awesome
jscheirer
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:15 am

jscheirer wrote:That boat looks nice! I wouldn't mind something like that too. I'm looking to hunt an area that is only available during river flooding in the area. So it may have to be smaller than that too. Do you have a thread about the boat build? Looks awesome

Thanks, built for a river I hunt. But during the build lost my access to the river. So it evolved into more.

Use it when I go solo , me and the dog and it was a blast. 11 mph unloaded , 9 mph loaded for hunt with only a 5 hp on it :grooving:

Will move up to a 9.9 four stoke this fall.

Sorry no real boat build thread. Will try to gather some pictures and send to you, just built it from some ideas I had and needs.
Needed to be motorized, stable , roomy as I can't stand to be confined , comfortable to lay, out of wind and rain while hunting, dog behind me while hunting, easy to set up and take down for trailering , just to name some items key for me.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:23 am

Once again weedwacker that looks great! Where do you hunt living up near Naperville?
jscheirer
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:21 pm

I hunt Michigan 90% of the time, 10% here on the Kankakee river.

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby lostpup » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:03 am

These guys are dead on. I've built a few hybrids and they are easy to get registered. You need proof of purchase for materials, pics thru build process, a CO to inspect , and then send paper work to Springfield. You have to register wether it has motor or not. It is a watercraft. It takes awhile to get HIN # back from state so allow plenty of time . Good luck and you will feel alot more enjoyment this season hunting from something hand made by you.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jscheirer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks for all the input! I am certainly wanting to make one of these but i wish i had more marshland around here to hunt. Maybe i'll just have to plan more trips to other parts of the state! Any size of hybrid you would recommend lostpup? I'm leaning towards a 10 ft NL probably without pods. Would like to load it into the back of a truck too
jscheirer
hunter

Postby lostpup » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:49 am

jscheirer wrote:Thanks for all the input! I am certainly wanting to make one of these but i wish i had more marshland around here to hunt. Maybe i'll just have to plan more trips to other parts of the state! Any size of hybrid you would recommend lostpup? I'm leaning towards a 10 ft NL probably without pods. Would like to load it into the back of a truck too

The 3 I've made are 7' 6" , I am 6'3" tall and weigh 250 lbs. They run great with a 3hp motor or 6 hp long tail. There is not enough room to lay down though. I take a finisher layout blind apart and the frame fits in bottom perfect. I then use the finisher back rest and the cloth lays over the boat great except the transome does not have enough cloth to cover it. I deal with it. There is not enough room for a dog in this size. If you hunt a dog go with the 10" and make a compartment in rear for him to hunt from. You dont want him in front of the barrel . He can sit and watch ( Mark ) well from behind you. Also if yoiur a bigger guy like me there is more room to lay and hunt. a 10' boat is still pretty heavy to pack very far from the truck but can be loaded by yourself. I would suggest putting a drain in it also. They get alot of water in them while hunting. I like the expanda foam better then gluing the insulation foam in. Take your time and plan everything out before starting. They are alot of fun to build and I'd guess you will add a few more after the first one. Also they seem to steer and track better with a bit of a rounded nose compared to a pointed nose. I will try to get pics up of a couple I've built by next weekend. I plan to build a 10' this year to hunt the dog from and instead of a raised motor mount that I have been using I'm going to recess the motor mount so it sits lower.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:33 am

jscheirer wrote:Thanks for all the input! I am certainly wanting to make one of these but i wish i had more marshland around here to hunt. Maybe i'll just have to plan more trips to other parts of the state! Any size of hybrid you would recommend lostpup? I'm leaning towards a 10 ft NL probably without pods. Would like to load it into the back of a truck too

No disrespect to building a boat from ground up. But if you want a boat to fit in the bed of the truck, be safe, give you a bit more room then a 8ft boat, why not just search and find an old narrow flat bottom Jon boat :huh:

12 to 14 ft, stable, safe, drain plug, and then make what you want from the hull up? Lay out, small boat blind, fishing boat in summer, I don't know just seems like more options.

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:37 pm

I have read that some people feel they are more stable than a jon boat... just some things that i've seen. Also the Hybrids probably sit lower on the water and possibly draft less than a jon boat? I would use it for relatively small waters anyway. I have been researching this alot (or at least trying to), I will want a 10 foot hybrid and won't try to carry it far at all so weight won't be too much of an issue.

Jon boat: Bigger, easily available/customized to your needs, drain plug but not as concealable as a smaller vessel

Hybrid: Heard that they are very stable, straightforward and cheap to build, draft very little water, easily hidden but not as big as a jon boat and everything has to be hand made.

I do appreciate all this input guys
jscheirer
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:41 pm

And weedwacker, I'm sure I would be swayed if I ever saw your rig in person. It looks sweet and would like to see more details about a jon boat style layout
jscheirer
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:44 pm

jscheirer wrote:And weedwacker, I'm sure I would be swayed if I ever saw your rig in person. It looks sweet and would like to see more details about a jon boat style layout

My man, you get what you want and that suits your needs, that's all.

That's why they make so many flavors of ice cream :clapping:

Personally, I can't hunt me, my dog, my gear and be comfortable in 10 foot of space. If I layout and anchor, all my gear stays in the boat. For me, my 4 inches higher then a Four Rivers gives me the comfort I want as I spend a lot of time in it!!

Again, get what fits your needs. And remember , as soon as you have a boat, you want another one and with different items on it :beer:

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:04 pm

So... I keep changing my mind between what I want for a boat project this summer. I found a 10 foot jon boat on craigslist for sale: 100 dollars or best offer, but it doesn't have a title... I know weedwacker is the guy to talk to about a jon project based on his rig. If I add some wood supports and very very lite wood on top like yours, would it be too top heavy you think? I think a 10 foot would be fine if i'm laying down inside and keeping the weight low.

Also, with the title deal, would it be difficult to get a new title for it? Never done it with a boat before so don't have much experience there.

Just looking for a small stable rig I can hunt out of. Thanks for any input!
jscheirer
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Boat titles take forever to get in Illinois, i couldn't imagine trying to file for a lost title.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby rism » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:26 am

Had this problem once w/ 10ft. jon I bought w/ no title. I located a serial number on the stern of the boat on a very small plate. Took that to a local company that does vehicle registration, titles, license, etc. They did all the paperwork and submitted to the state. Had a new title & reg. in about 2 months/ Serial number was the key.
rism
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:30 am

rism wrote:Had this problem once w/ 10ft. jon I bought w/ no title. I located a serial number on the stern of the boat on a very small plate. Took that to a local company that does vehicle registration, titles, license, etc. They did all the paperwork and submitted to the state. Had a new title & reg. in about 2 months/ Serial number was the key.

This is exactly what I did with this 14 ft. Took a picture of the mfg tag on back on transom with all the info, model #, hp rating, etc.
Filled out the paper work with a coy of the bill of sale and received tilte.

I called the state, got a person with a name, she had me mail it to her and it was easy, believe it or not :thumbsup:

For me, 10 just wasn't going to fit my needs. I paid $200.00 for my 14 ft , needed new transom and two hours of pressure washing to get the crud out of all the cracks. Then re bucked and sealed the rivets, everyone single one.

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby lostpup » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Here are a few teaser pics for your Hybrid fever !

lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:26 pm

I was always under the impression that if the watercraft is unpowered and under a certain length (16') that it didn't need to be registered. For instance a 12' canoe or a kayak. My layout boat is 13.5' long and isn't registered. Not planning on it. It's pretty much a canoe unless I add a gasoline engine...that changes everything.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby lostpup » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:47 am

AB, I'll have to look up the link to be 100% sure. I was informed that even canoes had to be registered ! It really isn't a big deal to get th done. It just takes alittle time and a few dollars to the state. I have atleast one more to register this year and may make another for my 8 yr old. He will make it i will just use the power tools and help him. It is a great project and I encourage anyone that has a desire to try it. So much fun building then hunting from your own work.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ed L. » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 pm

jscheirer wrote:I'm looking to build a wooden/fiberglass boat for hunting season but have a few questions first, hope someone on here can answer them for me.

1.) Can I hunt out of a layout style boat in Illinois? It will be anchored.

2.) If I build a home made boat will I need to register it with the state? If I use a motor will it need to be registered and w/out a motor no need to register?

Thanks in advance for any and all input on the subject!

Don't put a motor on it and call it a kayak and there is no need to register. Per IL DNR site.

Canoes, kayaks and paddle boats are no longer required to be titled/registered in Illinois UNLESS they have a motor or sail; otherwise customers will be able to purchase a Paddle Pass for $6.00 per calendar year for the first three vessels and $3.00 for any additional vessels, all passes must be purchased at the same time to receive the discount.

Take care,

Ed L.
Ed L.
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting