Registering Home Made Boat?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Re: Registering Home Made Boat?

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Ed L. wrote:
Don't put a motor on it and call it a kayak and there is no need to register. Per IL DNR site.

Canoes, kayaks and paddle boats are no longer required to be titled/registered in Illinois UNLESS they have a motor or sail; otherwise customers will be able to purchase a Paddle Pass for $6.00 per calendar year for the first three vessels and $3.00 for any additional vessels, all passes must be purchased at the same time to receive the discount.

Take care,

Ed L.

Here's a link to the DNR site for this topic. This is new, and starts on July 1st...

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/ ... craft.aspx
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby lostpup » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks for the link Feeling fowl. I stand corrected as of july 1st. I just know all the ones I've built in the past had to be registered. This came from a local CPO. Good find on the link. To the original poster I'd still register it as you will not believe how fun these little boats are with a 5 hp out board or long shaft mudmotor. They scoot and will go anywhere. :beer:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:54 pm

I've been doing some research.

Currently waiting on hybrid plans from Missed...I plan to put a 5hp on it. Can't wait to get started!
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:18 pm

I think if I would make one it would be a 10' model. Now the question is, if i was going to put about a 6.5 hp mud motor on it should I put pods on it as well? Will the longtail frame not be able to move as much with those pods?

I also need to find a good spot to use one of these beasts if I made one!
jscheirer
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:39 pm

jscheirer wrote:I think if I would make one it would be a 10' model. Now the question is, if i was going to put about a 6.5 hp mud motor on it should I put pods on it as well? Will the longtail frame not be able to move as much with those pods?

I also need to find a good spot to use one of these beasts if I made one!

Mine will have pods, if for nothing else, for some extra stability/flotation. I'm sure that you can customize the length of the pods to allow yourself some extra wiggle room for the longtail...
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby lostpup » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:18 am

look thru those last pictures I posted. The one sticking out of the truck is a 10' model. It is the same one that is on edge with paddle on side of boat. The transome has a ressed mount we run a mudmotor on it as well as the other ones with the raised transome mount. I bought the mud motor kit off ebay and the motor from harbor freight when on sale. I have right at $600 in the whole motor. ( 6.5 hp ) both push the boat great . I weigh in at 255 # and am 6'3" tall. It is a bit cramped in the 8ft boat but the ten is plenty of room. No pods on any of the ones I've built so far. I will admit the pods will help with motor weight though. These thigs are very and I mean very stable. When I float tested the first one I tried to flip it and swamp it. Could not get it to roll over. I have had water come in the transome when runninng fast and slow down . I found it is a delicate ballance of weight transfer in the 8 ft size. You have to sit more foward. I would also suggest to use a more rounded nose or bow than the point . The point is pretty touchy when steering the rounded ones track better when moving. I run a 3 hp outboard some and this little motor will push me around 10 - 12 mph. I have even had to push jon boats thru sapplings when hunting flooded timber . The bigger boats would get caught up on the brush and I could weave thru it and push them out from behind using the nose of my hybrid.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jscheirer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:12 pm

I would love to have one of these boats.... just need to find a marsh to use it on around me! Just curious and why not ask this here, does anyone have experience hunting on the Mississippi? I'm looking into Pool 16 hunting and the DNR website says that there is an open hunting area in certain places. Does this mean you can basically freelance it and set up where ever?

Thanks for any and all responses.
jscheirer
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:07 am

I believe that there are several posts regarding hunting the Mississippi throughout the IL Forum. Try doing a search, and bumping your question up if you can't find the answer you're looking for.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Previous

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting