Sask hunt 2013 looking for input

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Sask hunt 2013 looking for input

Postby don novicki » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:53 am

Just wondering how many of you guys that have been there before actually hunt potholes for ducks? First off is the place loaded with potholes like N.D. or is the terrain bigger water. I see most everyone field hunts but I want to get into a few evening hunts over some small water. I will be East of Regina, Oct 5-12, ( that doesn't narrow it down too much so I'm not an internet scouter).......
don novicki
hunter

Re: Sask hunt 2013 looking for input

Postby REM1100 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:51 pm

I'll be up there Oct 5. NE of Regina. The smaller ponds may only hold a dz ducks and once jumped will fly over to a nearby pond and may not return for a long time. The bigger ponds that hold quality ducks are the DU sites some of which can be walk ins but alot of them are private managed. Best bet is a small dammed up slough which is deep enough and has the right place for willows and cattails. There re some big sloughs with a lot of non quality ducks that lift off and circle back for some good gunning. Bring along a dz duck decoys and a robo-duck and spend an afternoon in some active bay. or chest waders and some jump shooting.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Motis operandi preferred is to locate a slough that is holding a large quantity of ducks, get in there just after sun up while the birds are out feeding, set up and be ready on their return to the slough. They will filter back in a few at a time. That way you won't run them all up, en mass, and send them to a nearby slough without getting any shooting. Many guides, locals, and others frown on "shooting the roost", so be ready to be scorned by some.

Your other option is to spend the afternoon scouting, see where the snows are feeding and you will generally see huge flocks of mallards there (snows seem to attract them as being safe). Set up the next morning with some snow and mallard dekes and be ready for some hot action. A spinner or two or three helps a lot.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby don novicki » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Mainly thinking about late afternoon hunts, mallards and gaddies tricking back, I live in Pennsylvania and we are not allowed motorized decoys of any type, so I will need to pick some thing up. I won't be busting any roosts. Looking forward to seeing Sask. and hopefully clouds of ducks........................
don novicki
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:49 pm

As I've often told folks from my area, who haven't had the pleasure of going north, "you'll see more waterfowl in one day than you'll see around here in a lifetime." You are in for a treat!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:27 am

If you set up for snowgeese in a field with 1 or 2 miles from a big busy pond a few duck decoys will bring in strings of ducks early in the morning as I no longer see the cloud of ducks three decades ago. I did see a swarm of mallards 3 years ago hitting a one acre pond with no trespassing. Don the snows and cranes will keep you busy. The tick is to pick an area where you can scout in a half an hour to pick a field and back up field. It pays to bring a good set of binoculars or a clear spotting scope as the geese can be in the small dips unseen by th naked eye from a gravel road or highway.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby don novicki » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:28 am

I am very fortunate to have been invited up there this year by a great guy that has been going there for years. He has all the equipment, land owner connections, and what have you. I remember the first time I went to NoDak in 1999. It was rather intimidating being there all by myself with a 10 month old Chessie. We camped out in a tent that year and one night I 'll bet the winds were 60 mph. If we left the tent to go to the truck everything would have been gone. I had heard so much about NoDak and the clouds of ducks, I thought that they would basically walk up to the truck and surrender. By the time I left, I realized that scouting for birds occupied almost as much time as hunting them. Going to Sask. and hunting with experienced people reduces the learning curve by about 90%. Mind you I was still going to go one way or another but this route is far better than punching it out on your own. Another thing, living in Western Pa right on Lake Erie we are between two flyways so we rarely get huge flights of puddlers, but if conditions are right we do get some good diver shoots on Presque Isle Bay, layout style. What I am saying is that even with reduced numers of ducks in your area. I probably haven't seen that many ducks here in Pa., over my lifetime, so I will be impressed for sure. Secondly we get zero, zip nada for snow geese here in this part of the state. I did see a couple hundred here last year one morning walking the dog but they were way high heading North, and I have NEVER shot one in all my days of hunting. If I could tag an Eagle Head, a mature snow, and maybe a speck, it would be something I would never be able to duplicate here in Pa.. That said I have no snow goose gear at all but I'm lucky that I will be hunting with guys that have a rig and can show me the ropes esp. putting out hundreds of dekes. I have a lot to learn, but I think the guys I am going with can spoon feed me. I'm still pretty good at hauling out decoys and willing to put in the work, and I know that some days you can still strike out, but thats all part of the game and I can't wait until Oct.. :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:16 pm

Don, all I can say is take a lot of pic's. This trip will sounds like it's all set for you. Lucky man to have people in your life that want to share such a hunt. I wish you the best of luck, it's a waterfowler's dream come "True"... :clapping:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks everyone, I feel very fortunate indeed to be invited up there with a great group of folks. I plan to savor the experience from beginning to end (while maybe not the drive home so much). I am sure I have never seen anything like it including all my trips to NoDak. The only places I have ever been in Canada is Toronto and Niagara Falls and obviously I wasn't hunting in either of those spots..........
don novicki
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:31 pm

I realized today that I will be missing the Pa. duck opener this season as I will be in Sask.. In Pa. if you get to shoulder a gun on the opener you are doing well. I have a feeling Sask. is going to be a vast improvement over Pa.'s duck opener..........
don novicki
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:30 am

Don...just be cautiously optimistic as they are migratory birds. It will work out to be a great experience, birds or not. Just always be aware that we are their guest and it's a privilege to be there. I've bumped into guys that have lost sight of that, and believe me when I say that they're not well liked nor welcomed back. Canadians are great people and are to be respected. If you're not bent on time, take the Queens back east. A lot of great country. Best regards....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby eazygauge » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:33 pm

We make the drive from Florida every year. Even with millions of birds in the sky I find myself working just as hard scouting and hunting as I have too at home. Have fun and enjoy the country!
eazygauge
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting