Duck Hunting Forum banner

Open water layout boats -opinions please!!!

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Tealer 
#1 ·
I have a chance to buy a Ron banks one man pumpkinseed style lay out boat and I am comparing that to and MLB one-man boat. The bank's boat has the molded in spray shield looks to be built very solid I am comparing that to the MLB anyone that has an opinion or owns either I would appreciate some feedback. I have about one week to decide so that I could get in on a shipping deal and save some money please let me know what you like or don't like about the boats. Thanks

#2 ·
No one builds a stronger, better built boat then Bankes IMO.

Is it the MLB classic? They are really small, and I'm not a big guy. The super mag is is nice, I use one, but have to repair it every year.

MLBs are lighter, but because they are they aren't as strong.

Both are nice boats and you will kill birds out of both, just depends how hard you are on equipment and what you are looking for in a boat.

#3 ·
Thanks Captain Brian Im leaning towards the bankes and they are making a delivery to my area soon so I could get in on that shipment. Any issues with the molded in spray shield ? The profile looks slightly higher than other boats. The UFO erie style boat is smaller and almost scary low profile, it looks like its almost a sink box on the company web site. The MLB is a used boat that needs some repair but I have personally hunted out of it and I fit fine at 5ft 8inches. I appreciate your input, I would love to come shoot some eiders with you sometime

#5 ·
We use Bankes one-man layouts and swear by em'. They are simple in design, bulletproof, and very functional. A few years back, we had one fly off the rack as we were traveling down the highway. Long story short, the boat suffered no structural damage and other than repairing a scuff mark on the bow and spray shield, the boat was back on the water in a few days. The other makes are nice but I think you will be very happy with a Bankes. Good luck!
Capt. Mike

#9 ·
The Bankes are super tough I will give them that. The only thing I don't like about them is the high profile. We run two MLB supermags and they are great boats. Tons of room in them and stable as can be but like Brian said we have to do yearly work on them.

#12 ·
My total cost for the boat delivered here is just under two grand. That's a lot of money but I do want to do it . I agree it does look like higher profile, anybody else have anything bad to say about the banks someone talk me out of it before I pull the trigger.

#13 ·
loon said:
My total cost for the boat delivered here is just under two grand. That's a lot of money but I do want to do it . I agree it does look like higher profile, anybody else have anything bad to say about the banks someone talk me out of it before I pull the trigger.
A big guy can tip them over and they have small cockpits. Quality is top notch and profile is not as big of problem as most think as the birds are looking at you from a few feet up and most people stick out of the really short ones. On dead flat water they will cast more of a shadow. Their dementions and weight make them very easy to handle in and out of the tender.

#14 ·
Hey guys can you take a look at the Erie style boats on the UFOlay out boatwebsite. The boat is less expensive than the bank's boat lighter and much much lower profile almost scary low in the picture. It's practically a sneak box. Most of the time I hunt in waist deep water so I wouldn't drown in that boat. Anybody actually use the UFO Erie style boat? I have to make the final decision by this Monday absolutely conflicted between the banks and this one. Thanks

#15 ·
I have used an Erie, and I own a UFO. I an a big guy I love my UFO, the Erie was tight. Both are very stable. My UFO has been on a ton of hunts, works great. I have never seen a bankes layout in person, but I have hunted out of their big boats, they are good quality.

#16 ·
Well I went with the Bankes pumpkinseed , I get it Saturday ! The ice is coming off the bay and there are tons of bills ,whistlers and all 3 types of mergansers definitely psyched to try it I may throw some dekes out and go with the camera.

#19 ·
Well I'm very happy with the banks boat I actually dragged it out on to some open water on the bay just about 2 feet deep though. Very nice! I am able to get very far down into the boat and I can still have my toes pointing straight up very comfortable . :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.