Trex question

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Trex question

Postby ohioboy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:54 pm

Does anyone have a strong opinion on it? Good or bad? It's way more expensive than treated wood. Is it worth it?
ohioboy
hunter

Re: Trex question

Postby ohioboy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:41 am

Bump.

Any contractors out there? Does it ever go on sale or do they ever sell batches that are to colored properly?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby AKPirate » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:51 am

ohioboy wrote:Bump.

Any contractors out there? Does it ever go on sale or do they ever sell batches that are to colored properly?

PM Jehler, he may know. I like it because you can bend it for some spiral patterns in the deck and it doesn't splinter.
AKPirate
hunter

Postby rozzo842 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:32 am

I have it. The only issue I have with it is if your deck sees allot of Sun it gets very hot. You can't be barefoot on it. My dog won't even keep his feet down for more than a second. It's kinda funny, looks like he's dancin sometimes.
rozzo842
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:05 am

The word "Trex" has now become the generic term that now refers to all synthetic lumber...they are all expensive, even the store brand stuff at loews or HD...I have not found any use for it on a duck boat OTHER than rubrail material as it is durable and bends easily. It's very heavy too.
There are a few companies who have encased the "trex" with a hard plastic sleeve. This makes it even more durable, but also even more heavy, and you guessed it, more expensive.

Since most of these companies are getting this material from recycled material, you would think they would sell it at less. But you are buying the "green-ness" of it as a recycled product and the durability.

One other thing, other than the fact that its HOT. (depending on color) is that it's very slippery.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:45 am

Slack Tide wrote:The word "Trex" has now become the generic term that now refers to all synthetic lumber...they are all expensive, even the store brand stuff at loews or HD...I have not found any use for it on a duck boat OTHER than rubrail material as it is durable and bends easily. It's very heavy too.
There are a few companies who have encased the "trex" with a hard plastic sleeve. This makes it even more durable, but also even more heavy, and you guessed it, more expensive.

Since most of these companies are getting this material from recycled material, you would think they would sell it at less. But you are buying the "green-ness" of it as a recycled product and the durability.

One other thing, other than the fact that its HOT. (depending on color) is that it's very slippery.

Thanks. I figured trex would be understandable. Funny that store brands are expensive too. Slippery. Had not thought about that.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby foxtrot » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Its actually not slippery. I use to sell the stuff and the actual TREX brand creates more friction when wet then dry. FYI there are several products like timbertech, geodeck, correctdeck, weatherbest, azek. But TREX is sometimes used to describe all synthetic decking. The machines to make extruded decking run about 200k so there are lot of extruded decking producks. TREX is done in full length pieces and is embossed. Although trex does have a cheaper lower quality extruded product.

As far as opinion on it. If I lived in a very high end neighborhood I would use it cause I think it would add value to my house. If I lived in a generic blue collar neighborhood I think the cedar or treated decking would be the way to go.

I know that they market the product to Marinas because it is supposed to be very durable in a marine setting.

My big warning with it is that who ever installs it needs to be familiar with it. You can't put it up like wood. You have to use special screws. Make sure your installers have experience with it. If you are going to install it yourself make sure you gap it right and you use the special screws on the face, also your joist 'should' be on 16" OC . Read the installation pamphlets. If you lumberyard doesn't have the reading material then go to a new place or ask them to get it for you.
"A smart man makes a mistake, learns from it, and never makes that mistake again. But a wise man finds a smart man and learns from him how to avoid the mistake altogether." -Roy H. Williams
foxtrot
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:29 pm

foxtrot wrote:Its actually not slippery. I use to sell the stuff and the actual TREX brand creates more friction when wet then dry. FYI there are several products like timbertech, geodeck, correctdeck, weatherbest, azek. But TREX is sometimes used to describe all synthetic decking. The machines to make extruded decking run about 200k so there are lot of extruded decking producks. TREX is done in full length pieces and is embossed. Although trex does have a cheaper lower quality extruded product.

As far as opinion on it. If I lived in a very high end neighborhood I would use it cause I think it would add value to my house. If I lived in a generic blue collar neighborhood I think the cedar or treated decking would be the way to go.

I know that they market the product to Marinas because it is supposed to be very durable in a marine setting.

My big warning with it is that who ever installs it needs to be familiar with it. You can't put it up like wood. You have to use special screws. Make sure your installers have experience with it. If you are going to install it yourself make sure you gap it right and you use the special screws on the face, also your joist 'should' be on 16" OC . Read the installation pamphlets. If you lumberyard doesn't have the reading material then go to a new place or ask them to get it for you.

deck is up. love it. has not been really hot yet, so dont know about the heat.
ohioboy
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting