Best Speck Decoys, Opinions Wanted

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Best Speck Decoys, Opinions Wanted

Postby Sugartowns Finest » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:53 pm

Looking to build my stock of Speck decoys over the offseason. Want to know peoples opinions on best decoy out there in floater and fullbody styles. I have GHG. Wanting to diversify the spread if there is a better decoy. Look forward to reading your opinions.
Cupped wings and stretched legs getting ready for the splashdown
Sugartowns Finest
hunter

Re: Best Speck Decoys, Opinions Wanted

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:24 pm

I'd advise you not to mix brands unless the colors are very close. That, and don't put out more of anything than you're willing to pick up after each hunt.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:01 pm

Cant go wrong with GHG. Id would stick with the same brand also just because it makes set up and pick up simpler.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Since the title is "Best Speck Decoys, Opinions Wanted," I'll opine that GHGs are far from the best. My experience with both painted and flocked speck GHG FBs' durability has been "mixed" at best, and my GHG speck floaters flat sucked.

For my money, DSD makes the current best FBs, and G&H makes the current best floaters. (The most durable speck FBs were Hardcore's original '03 models, and the best body postured FBs were Hardcore's '04 and '05s, with the later two's great postures suffering from paint problems.)
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:57 pm

My GHG decoys have held up fine. I may be wrong but I remember seeing a post of how you were dissapointed with DSD Specks paint job???? I might be mixing you up with someonelse but needless to say my experience with GHG decoys has been great.....
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:46 am

Your memory is fine, my newest DSDs didn't receive the same painting care that my older ones did. Couldn't say whether that was just an isolated thing or more common, but can say that I still much prefer them to GHGs. DSDs are both better sculpted and more sun resistant.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum