New life to an old 16' PolarKraft - Overhaul

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: New life to an old 16' PolarKraft - Overhaul [pic heavy]

Postby j.digiacomo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:40 am

ha. small world. we'll have to hook up and hunt this fall. i'm on the shore a good bit. i went to salisbury, and i did alot of walking in at Deal Island and I've dabbled at Assateague, FB, and Isle of Wight. Trying to do a bit more down there this year. Potomac has been slow and crowded lately.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:28 am

Yep, let me know. Isle of Wight has been pretty decent, but got crowded last year. I've got another place I want to try out this year, on your side of Salisbury, which I don't hear much about, so it shouldn't be crowded.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:01 pm

assateague wrote:Yep, let me know. Isle of Wight has been pretty decent, but got crowded last year. I've got another place I want to try out this year, on your side of Salisbury, which I don't hear much about, so it shouldn't be crowded.

It will be now...... :wink:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Nope. Too many high-brow types around to bother with where I'm talking about. Not "good enough for them".
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby j.digiacomo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:23 am

i'm down for whatever. PM me your info and i'll shoot mine back. may be worth a ride out there this summer to check out some spots.

on another note... does anyone know where to get a gun box? i cant justify spending $4-500 on a gun box from the big brand duck boat mfg companies though. anyone done anything creative with the truck boxes? i thought i saw something about a company called backwoods landing a while back. anyone ever dealt with them? They have some ranging in price from $150-$180. looking for the angled back style so it mounts flush.

http://www.backwoodslanding.com/options.html
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby roadbildr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:22 pm

j.digiacomo wrote:i'm down for whatever. PM me your info and i'll shoot mine back. may be worth a ride out there this summer to check out some spots.

on another note... does anyone know where to get a gun box? i cant justify spending $4-500 on a gun box from the big brand duck boat mfg companies though. anyone done anything creative with the truck boxes? i thought i saw something about a company called backwoods landing a while back. anyone ever dealt with them? They have some ranging in price from $150-$180. looking for the angled back style so it mounts flush.

http://www.backwoodslanding.com/options.html

I have been looking for similar options:

http://www.akmccallumco.com/store-console.htm
roadbildr
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Mon May 06, 2013 11:08 am

got the boat out on the water this weekend. all went well and the dogs got a little swim.

topped it out at 28mph w/ me, the 2 dogs, and wifey on the duck hunting gnarly prop... not too bad!

photo.JPG

pup was having fun watching the birds.
image.jpeg
Last edited by j.digiacomo on Tue May 07, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Rich- » Tue May 07, 2013 1:03 pm

j.digiacomo wrote:got the boat out on the water this weekend. all went well and the dogs got a little swimming when we got to the islands.

topped it out at 28mph w/ me, the 2 dogs, and wifey on the duck hunting gnarly prop... not too bad!

photo.JPG

pup was having fun watching the birds.
image.jpeg

Good looking dog!
Rich-
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Tue May 14, 2013 6:52 am

Going to pick up the aluminum for the floors Friday morning. anyone have any tips on cutting .090? i was planning on using a circular saw w/ carbide tip and/or jigsaw for the rib cutouts.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Good question.....best thing I found. Use a jig saw/recipricocating saw/scroll saw......whatever you want to call it....not a circular saw!!!! Circular saw will gall aluminum edges. You will get a super clean cut with a jig saw. The trick is to use a fine tooth blade and a fair amount of oil. Keep that blade cool at all times, if not, you will go through blades. Slow way down on any radius/turns. Wire wheel your cut edge to clean up any burs after your cut. I've done three aluminu floors for different boats and will never use a circular saw. Purchase quality blades and they will last a bit longer. I use Bosch blades. Wd-40 will work well to keep your blade cool. I imagine cutting oil would work fine too. Good luck. Measure twice cut once! Sheet aluminum ain't cheap. Post photos.....use a sharpie to mark the aluminum.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Thu May 16, 2013 7:35 am

i hear you on that! i actually think i got a pretty decent deal. 5' x 10' x .090" sheets for around $130ea. i ordered two. any tips for setting up your cuts? i was thinking of drawing a center line on the sheet and then measuring and centering off that, but i'm curious how others have done it.
Last edited by j.digiacomo on Thu May 16, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am

j.digiacomo wrote:Going to pick up the aluminum for the floors Friday morning. anyone have any tips on cutting .090? i was planning on using a circular saw w/ carbide tip and/or jigsaw for the rib cutouts.

circular saw...40 tooth carbide tip blade. set the saw shallow, maybe 1/2" and cut the aluminum on top of a piece of foam (if you don't have a peice of foam, BUY ONE! get a 1" piece 4'x8' from lowes or home depot). Wear gloves, goggles and hearing protection as shavings go everywhere and the cutting is loud.

go slow! it is easier to pull on the front hand grip (left hand) and guide it lightly with the right hand (trigger switch hand). do not push down hard because the saw will bind on the shavings. You can stop on the line with the top of the cut and just bend the piece out on the corners....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu May 16, 2013 10:34 am

jigsaw will work fine for the cutouts...elevate the floor on a piece of 2X4 or scrap lumber to cut keeping the cut close to the lumber to prevent vibration up and down. :thumbsup: again-wear goggles and hearing protection!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu May 16, 2013 10:36 am

j.digiacomo wrote:i hear you on that! i actually think i got a pretty decent deal. 5' x 10' x 0.90" sheets for around $130ea. i ordered two. any tips for setting up your cuts? i was thinking of drawing a center line on the sheet and then measuring and centering off that, but i'm curious how others have done it.

I recommend cutting a piece of cardboard first to check the fit. whole lot cheaper than making a mistake with the aluminum! :wink:
that is the best way to do it mark it every 6" on each side. we tack a piece of aluminum flatbar on the piece to draw the curve, you might need to use clamps.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu May 16, 2013 10:40 am

Indaswamp wrote:
j.digiacomo wrote:Going to pick up the aluminum for the floors Friday morning. anyone have any tips on cutting .090? i was planning on using a circular saw w/ carbide tip and/or jigsaw for the rib cutouts.

circular saw...40 tooth carbide tip blade. set the saw shallow, maybe 1/2" and cut the aluminum on top of a piece of foam (if you don't have a peice of foam, BUY ONE! get a 1" piece 4'x8' from lowes or home depot). Wear gloves, goggles and hearing protection as shavings go everywhere and the cutting is loud.

go slow! it is easier to pull on the front hand grip (left hand) and guide it lightly with the right hand (trigger switch hand). do not push down hard because the saw will bind on the shavings. You can stop on the line with the top of the cut and just bend the piece out on the corners....

...and use a brand new circular saw blade. don't have to buy an expensive one, $10-15 range will be plenty good enough to cut the aluminum. you will get a clean edge if you go slow.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby j.digiacomo » Tue May 28, 2013 9:22 am

OK, so i have the floor cut out of a 5'x10' sheet. How in the heck are you guys getting these full sheets in your boats?! I cant manhandle this .090 enough to bend and fit in under both sets of seats. Are you cutting into pieces and butting them against each other or what? i thought about ripping it down the middle and having two sides, but i'll kick myself if there's an easier way to do it. any tips :help:

photo.JPG

The only thing i can think to do is cut it to the last rib before the front bench and let it fall into place, but i'm still stuggling to get it to bend enough between the first rib and rear bench to clear.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue May 28, 2013 11:20 am

get someone to help you. it's a 2 or 3 person job, but it will go in as a full sheet. You have to bend it up to get it around the seats.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby j.digiacomo » Thu May 30, 2013 5:28 pm

clocked out a little early today and got a bit done.

1.5" of foam put between ribs, and i was able to get the floor in and screwed down. i may go back and swap them out for rivets, not sure yet.

photo.JPG

still got the front to do.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu May 30, 2013 5:37 pm

I'd pop rivet the floor in using 3/16" pop rivets with a 1/2" head, as far as length, 1/2"-5/8" should be plenty...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby j.digiacomo » Fri May 31, 2013 1:19 pm

yeah i've got them, and i wasnt sold on the grip i got with the screws. i just wanted to get it in and make sure it formed how i needed it to. i'll get them swapped out this weekend when i do the front. plus, i dont want to see any lumps in the turf. :biggrin:
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:35 pm

j.digiacomo wrote:yeah i've got them, and i wasnt sold on the grip i got with the screws. i just wanted to get it in and make sure it formed how i needed it to. i'll get them swapped out this weekend when i do the front. plus, i dont want to see any lumps in the turf. :biggrin:

Fastenal ABL6-12A BLIND RV PKG

that is the part # for the rivets we use. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:45 am

GD sweet thread. Nice work!
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby j.digiacomo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:46 am

It's been a while since an update.

The entire floor is in and riveted down. let me tell you, that was the most painful part of this entire project. As you can see in the pics, I scraped up my paint inside getting it in. Between bending the sheets to fall into place and the aluminum's edges, it took its toll. I planned on stenciling the walls after the floor was in, so no worries there. Been crazy at work so it's been sitting in the yard collecting tree debris...

image.jpeg

image2.jpeg

I will scuff, prime, and re-shoot a base coat on the walls, then do the camo stencils before the turf goes down. Still deciding how/where to put the mounts for the seats. Gator boat brown here I come. I think I will need about 4-5 sheets of 42"x60" HT. Too bad they're only 42" wide - the ridges run the wrong way at 60" which would make installing a ton easier. I have to split sheets... :mad:
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby redneckwino » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:11 am

Sweet looking boat. I would love one that wide. Nice job on it also.
redneckwino
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:31 pm

i've been tinkering trying to figure out how many sheets i need. at $82 a sheet i dont want to order too much...

i did this to scale w/ 60"x42" sheets, i didnt include behind my rear bench which is why there's extra.

got to thinking about seams and whether or not i want a 4-way butted up against each other in the middle of the floor of the boat. (ie- running all the full sheets on one side, and all the splits on the same side) here's what i came up with, and it only requires 4 sheets. anyone have any pictures of successful WIDE floors w/ hydroturf? i dont want the seams to stand out a ton.

ht.jpg
j.digiacomo
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds