New to Maryland

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

New to Maryland

Postby cyclocoastie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:18 am

Hello,
I recently moved to Montgomery Co. from Idaho. I'm itching to get out and do some freshwater fishing and learn about what kind of hunting opportunities there are here for this fall. I'm not looking to sneak in on your haunts, but I would be interested in finding a hunting and fishing partner if your up for it. PM me if your interested, I'll be happy to share some Idaho haunts if your inclined to hunt elk or monster mulies in Idaho.

A little about me: I'm a certified hunters education instructor in Idaho, Primarily a bird hunter (Pheasant, quail, chukar, huns, morning and collard dove, pigeon, waterfowl and turkey) I run 2 labs (one at a time and cycle through) and each has their pursuit preference. I enjoy white-tail, cotton tail and squirrel hunting when ever I have the opportunity.

Thanks,
JP
cyclocoastie
hunter

Re: New to Maryland

Postby ohioboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:16 pm

Welcome. I'm in the area. I can show you some fishing close to you.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Welcome JP,

Last year was my first year hunting in Maryland. I live MoCo also. I had a blast. You can shoot all the deer you are going to want to clean in MoCo. Do you Archery hunt? If so, the spots are plentiful. Duck hunting can be hit or miss. I did most of my hunting from a canoe this year, but should have a Gatortail setup for this fall. I hunt alot during the week, so if you are open we can get together and shoot a few ducks/geese.

Hunter
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby cyclocoastie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:17 am

You fellas are great! I'll PM you with my contact information.
cyclocoastie
hunter

Postby joemc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 pm

hellow fellow marylander, you ready to stack some ducks and wack a buck. im from maryland thats were i grew up and hunt so if you got questions i got answers.
TEAM FOWL ADDICTION
2013/14 season
deer-3
woodies-1
ruddys-14
canvasback-2
Canada geese-16
turkey-2 big toms
joemc
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:17 pm

I can hear the White Perch stirring things up right now. :thumbsup:
Come on Saturday! :grooving:
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby cyclocoastie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:02 am

Where do you chase white perch?
cyclocoastie
hunter

Postby joemc » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:21 am

right now you will be finding them schooled up in deep holes up in the rivers that run out of the bay. you could probably catch them using small jigs with pieces of grass shrimp, earth worms, or squid. also if your doing this you can catch yellow perch. :thumbsup:
TEAM FOWL ADDICTION
2013/14 season
deer-3
woodies-1
ruddys-14
canvasback-2
Canada geese-16
turkey-2 big toms
joemc
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:08 pm

cyclocoastie wrote:Where do you chase white perch?

Usually end up going to some of the small creeks off the Severn. Tried the Patuxent several weeks ago, but nothing happening at that time. I figure a couple days of more Spring-like temps will kick things off in grand style.

GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 pm

cyclocoastie wrote:Hello,
I recently moved to Montgomery Co. from Idaho. I'm itching to get out and do some freshwater fishing and learn about what kind of hunting opportunities there are here for this fall. I'm not looking to sneak in on your haunts, but I would be interested in finding a hunting and fishing partner if your up for it. PM me if your interested, I'll be happy to share some Idaho haunts if your inclined to hunt elk or monster mulies in Idaho.

A little about me: I'm a certified hunters education instructor in Idaho, Primarily a bird hunter (Pheasant, quail, chukar, huns, morning and collard dove, pigeon, waterfowl and turkey) I run 2 labs (one at a time and cycle through) and each has their pursuit preference. I enjoy white-tail, cotton tail and squirrel hunting when ever I have the opportunity.

Thanks,
JP

For anyone that has ever heard me gripe about internet scouters, or lazy people stealing spots, or new guys to the area just not even saying hi first...THIS GUY IS THE MODEL new DHC MEMBER!

Welcome JP!!! :welcome: Thanks for introducing yourself and telling us a little bit about you. My name is Buzz, I live out in Frederick Co. I hunt pretty much everything, mostly fowl though. I like to fish too, usually trout in the spring, and I do a good bit of catfishing on the potomac once it gets warm. When it gets hot, I like to head to the Ocean and fish for sharks with Lefty. Its a little different out here than Idaho im sure, but if you ever have questions about any MD laws, or just want to grab a beer sometime, shoot me a PM. I hunt and fish everywhere in MD, mostly RP zone but you might find me hunting ducks in MoCo every once in a while. Enjoy the summer, and hope to see you out and about next fall!

Buzz
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:26 pm

PSUbuzz wrote:
cyclocoastie wrote:Hello,

Thanks,
JP

For anyone that has ever heard me gripe about internet scouters, or lazy people stealing spots, or new guys to the area just not even saying hi first...THIS GUY IS THE MODEL new DHC MEMBER!

Welcome JP!!! :welcome: Thanks for introducing yourself and telling us a little bit about you. My name is Buzz, I live out in Frederick Co. I hunt pretty much everything, mostly fowl though. I like to fish too, usually trout in the spring, and I do a good bit of catfishing on the potomac once it gets warm. When it gets hot, I like to head to the Ocean and fish for sharks with Lefty. Its a little different out here than Idaho im sure, but if you ever have questions about any MD laws, or just want to grab a beer sometime, shoot me a PM. I hunt and fish everywhere in MD, mostly RP zone but you might find me hunting ducks in MoCo every once in a while. Enjoy the summer, and hope to see you out and about next fall!

Buzz

We have heard... :beer:

Buzz, beers soon. I'm working on it. New house done may 3 out by the river btw.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Went to the creeks in search of y/w perch. Spinners, blood worms and a couple minnows. In the words of Yukon Cornelius... "Nuttin' ". Water temps still in the 40's. They got to be ready to make the run any day now. Maybe next week with warmer temps.
:beer:
GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby Nathan Hoyt » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:31 pm

I'm in the Gaithersburg area and need to get back in the game also. If you feel like just blundering around looking for fish or ducks until something works, I'm game, but I bring no local experience/knowledge. As mentioned, if you bow hunt deer, you can stock up on as much venison as you care to eat hunting on public land. My friends that are serious deer hunters start hunting quality bucks once they get tired of cleaning does. I'm not much of a deer hunter, but I plan on getting my bow out to stick some snakehead this summer if you have any interest in serious redneck foolishness.

What brings you to this area? I think I would be stricken with self-pity if I moved here from Idaho. I'm a bird hunter at heart. Chukar hunting looks like it would about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. There are supposed to be woodcock around here if you work hard enough to find the right terrain, but woodcock are a taste that many dogs have no interest in acquiring.

Nate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"Never inquire regarding the endeavors of a fanatic... ...he might respond."
Nathan Hoyt
hunter

Postby Canebrake » Fri May 03, 2013 5:14 pm

I'm amazed to the point of catching myself with my mouth open when I read this thread. I just moved back to Virginia after being away for awhile and I've recently found out that my job may require me to relocate to Maryland. I gave up on the Virginia forum because of all the in-fighting and rude comments made to new folks like me. I'm not asking for anyone's secret spots, or for anyone to give me anything. I just come to this site to share time and stories with folks who love the same thing as me, and that includes all types of bird hunting.

My hat's off to all of y'all for your hospitality toward JP. :bow:
Canebrake
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri May 03, 2013 6:21 pm

guess we need to work on that. we used to be mean. :thumbsup:

where you going to be relocating?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Nathan Hoyt » Fri May 03, 2013 8:53 pm

I find there is no need to get all secretive and defensive. I grew up hunting public land and fishing well known hotspots. To be successful, you have to know the marsh and be tougher, smarter and more flexible than the weekend warriors. There are no "secrets". You simply have to go where the birds/fish are when no one else is there. That may mean hunting/fishing no motor zones, hunting/fishing during the week or fighting shallow water to get back where no one else goes.

I won't give GPS coordinates, but I will happily give another dude who seems cool the names of public land near him with decent duck hunting (once I know something) so he doesn't have to scout a bunch of deer/turkey hunting land looking for water. That is all most guys that get flamed for cyber scouting are asking for. They don't even know where to start scouting. If they are the type that doesn't want to scout, they can fight the other fools for space on the first open water within sight of the boat launch. That is no skin off my back. I won't be hunting near those sky blasting lunatics.

Nate
"Never inquire regarding the endeavors of a fanatic... ...he might respond."
Nathan Hoyt
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 am

Im a super secret agent man that wont crack under torture about my spots or where to go. Ive also been known to blind fold guests that I dont know. Once you get burned by someone sneaking back on your spots with no courtesy call or taking advantage of your time and gas money scouting, you might change your tune also. Or you might just get even with that guy... heheheeeeee
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue May 07, 2013 9:58 am

PSUbuzz wrote:Im a super secret agent man that wont crack under torture about my spots or where to go. Ive also been known to blind fold guests that I dont know. Once you get burned by someone sneaking back on your spots with no courtesy call or taking advantage of your time and gas money scouting, you might change your tune also. Or you might just get even with that guy... heheheeeeee

I am tracking you by satellite now.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Lefty26 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:45 am

Don't worry guys I am currently wrapping up a book titled "The Insiders Guide to all of Uncle Buzzie's Hunting Spots". Due to hit bookstore shelves just in time for early goose season!!!

That GPS ohioboy and I installed in your truck has really paid big dividends!!!
Lefty26
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed May 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Lefty26 wrote:Don't worry guys I am currently wrapping up a book titled "The Insiders Guide to all of Uncle Buzzie's Hunting Spots". Due to hit bookstore shelves just in time for early goose season!!!

That GPS ohioboy and I installed in your truck has really paid big dividends!!!

Buzz was in the swamp while I was chillin with his truck. :grooving:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 am

Well if that was the case you would have seen my truck was parked at your house while you were at work all those days... :evilbanana:
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue May 28, 2013 11:04 am

PSUbuzz wrote:Well if that was the case you would have seen my truck was parked at your house while you were at work all those days... :evilbanana:

:clapping: well done.
ohioboy
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting