For you turkey hunters

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

For you turkey hunters

Postby duxrus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Here is one from this morning that decided to fly down to a lonly hen that was packing a Mossberg :lol3:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6 beards for a total of 29" :grooving:
duxrus
hunter

Re: For you turkey hunters

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:24 pm

Awesome bird! :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:24 am

That's awesome
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:39 am

Nice Brian. I killed a good one Saturday, but not with all the accessories that one had. A real heavy weight though. Congrats on a great trophy.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Boone and Crocket!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:10 pm

DAAAAAMN!! Great bird Brian!
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Funny thing about him was I didn't even notice until I was loading him into the truck :lol3: I just saw a good beard as he was flopping and paid him no mind as I shouldered him back to the road. Out of all the multibearded birds i have taken i have never known it until they stopped flopping. My best one (5) beards with around 38" inches of beard just looked like a BIG beard to me until I rolled him over.

I hope everyone is having or going to have a great season. I am ready for number 2 to go for a truck ride in the morning. :smile:
duxrus
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:20 pm

That is awesome, Congratulations! Our youth season opened this weekend, but we have until the 15th for regular season to start.
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:00 am

Seems like the birds and green-up are running atleast a week or two behind normal down here. Woods are still wide open and the birds are just now starting to break up....Good luck to everyone. On a good note #2 decided to get into a fight with pretty boy this morning....Pretty boy won :grooving:
duxrus
hunter

Postby kruse » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Thats amazing.
kruse
hunter

Postby Bufflehead dude » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Great bird only killed one multi beard turkey (2 beards) got my first for the season yesterday morning good luck to everyone this turkey season! :thumbsup:
Season total 2012 2013
Canada goose 1
Blue wing teal 1
Mallard 5
Wood duck 12
Hooded mergansers 3
Ringneck 1
Bufflehead 1
Blue bill 4
Bufflehead dude
hunter

Postby duxrus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:23 am

I should have given this gobbler a free pass....cuz he only had one beard :tongue:

duxrus
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:07 pm

wow congrats. that's a trophy! I've been hunting turkeys for many years and never seen that, and I have a lot of birds under my belt. let us know how/what you do with the beard..mount wise etc. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:07 pm

This is what I came up with for something different to show off all the beards. I have his legs drying and will attach them along each side soon. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Got this one today on our season opener. Is it some type of color phase? Nothing but eastern turkeys around.
I have just never seen the wing color like this before. Also had a really lite spot in the middle of his fan. Unfortunately it was rainy all day, so he doesn't look as pretty as he probably should. Looked good strutting up though.
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby duxrus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Cool looking bird, especially the wings. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
duxrus
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Is that fairly odd for them to be like that, or is it more common then I think?
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:43 pm

We have a few that color around here, including all white, and blonde. I still wouldn't call it common. Very cool Bird!

Our birds here in Wisconsin were a Missouri trade for our ruffed grouse. We got the better deal in my opinion. Our first attempt to reestablish this flock was a failure. Then we got this eastern strain from the golf people of Missouri, and they took of like gang busters. We virtually had zero birds in the late 70's. As a matter of fact, we had no turkeys where I hunt here even in the 90's. Now we are thick with them, and I would think Wisconsin is a pretty good destination spot for someone to harvest another bird, and extending their season. I was told that this particular strain of bird has some white coloration in the gene pool, and we have pockets of birds that have slightly higher concentrations of this coloration. It is very common to get a bird that has white coloration in its middle three feathers on the tail.

Looks like a great bird! Congratulations!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jpostx3 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:40 pm

He doesn't have six beards, but I just had to show him off. I've had an incredible turkey season so far. It was opening day of second season. Killed him at 8:45 this morning. Even got it on film. By far my best bird to date as far as spur length goes. He weighed 23lbs and 12ozs, 10 3/4" beard, and 1 5/8" spurs.

I'm still on cloud nine over it!
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:17 am

Nice daggers Son! :thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DucknGoodTime » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:03 am

Damn fine bird, gonna have it mounted?

Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby duxrus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Keep the pictures coming. I got #3 last Wed and another one Sat. I still have another state bird to go (#4 came off a bonus bird military base). We are just now starting to find mid morning birds looking for love. I got the one on Saturday about 10 and he was fired up. I almost left him to go after a different one giving it hell a few ridges away. It was gobbling 5 to 1 compared to the one I shot. Hopefully I can tag him come Friday when I go back. :thumbsup:

Jpost,

At the very least you need to bronze those spurs :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
duxrus
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Two weeks in and three birds down. Gonna try to get my brother on one this weekend. Hybrid, Merriam, and a Rio so far. The Merriam was just over 22lbs, the Rio was 23.6 and the Hybrid didn't get weighed.

Next year should be really good with the number of jakes that are around
Attachments
turky..JPG
408692_574735889226887_586060510_n.jpg
10086_571413452892464_1348466447_n.jpg
duckman27
hunter

Postby tealdog » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 am

Ill take those spurs over beards any day!!!!!! WOW!!
tealdog
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:23 am

I've always been a spur type guy also. Weights and beards are just a little icing on the cake to me. Tagged out in Kentucky in two days with two nice birds that were both dominant Longbeards. First one was just over 24 pounds (using two scales) with 1 1/4 inch spurs and a nice thick 10 inch beard. He stood in one spot just inside the woods for 45 minutes and only gobbled twice and that was at my favorite box call after everything else had failed. I never called again following the "He knows where I am, why keep talking premise." He finally stepped out as I was beginning to get the shakes from holding my gun up for so long. Thought I'd got one as good as they come there.

Next day after chasing several birds through the hills only to come up empty I spent a long afternoon at the junction of three ridges on a small knoll that just had to be a strut zone from the looks of things. Sparingly calling produced nothing but one hen and several dozen deer, which can be the kiss of death for turkeys hunters as one blowing can queer a hunt quickly as they had earlier that morning on one bird we had within 75 yards and coming. At 6:30 I heard one gobble below me and then nothing till almost 7 p.m. when he first appeared coming uphill. Note to young turkey hunters, just like in war always have the high ground. Once in range he stayed in a bunch of small sapplings offering a somewhat risky shot. It was then that a Gray Squirrel decided to start chattering and jumped down to within several feet of the bird putting him on full alert. Now or never and my shot pealed the bark off of 4 trees but did it's job. Like jpostx3 I'm a believer in the WW Extended Hi Density 5's. Was then and only then as I walked to him that I got a good look at his beard. At 22 pounds with 1 3/8 inch spurs he was a nice one, but what a rope he had. Wrist thick and 11 1/2 inches was impressive. The land owner had video of the bird chasing satellite gobblers
and breeding a hen. So we know his genes are passed on. Seems to be great genetics in that area.

One tag left for Tennessee, I'm tired, knees hurt and birds to mount.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Next

Return to Taxidermy Forum