Need help looking for a Jacket .

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Need help looking for a Jacket .

Postby duckie boy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:27 pm

I need the warmest Jacket you can buy .Every year I go Hunting and some Days I freeze my Ass off ,Or have so many Layers I can barely move.I live in NY so the only Store around is ****'s .Not good enough.So plzz if you can give me a Link or E-mail address it would be very helpful.Thank you . :thumbsup:
duckie boy
hunter

Re: Need help looking for a Jacket .

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:04 am

After many years of using a mish-mash of deer hunting gear when I was after ducks, I finally bought a couple of real waterfowl jackets at Bass Pro Shop. I bought the Redhead jacket for about $100 (less than half what Cabela's jacket costs) and I can't complain.
Completely waterproof and windproof, most of the time once I get into my blind I have to unzip it or take it off because I am too warm ! It does not have a removable hood or a zip-out inner liner, but for the money I think it's a great coat.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:32 am

I'm sorta' with MDC. I have three "four-in-one" waterfowl jackets/parkas (you'd think I'd learn) and have never been entirely happy with any of them.
When both parts (the outer and the zip-out liner) are worn together, the coat is warm and dry but bulky and binding. The outer by itself has no insulation and is good only for early season hunts (and they are very good at that). Worn alone, the liner has no pockets or hood. In one case, the liner was waterproof but the outer coat wasn't !!! (explain THAT to me)

In my experience (and I've been waterfowl hunting since 1961), any nationally-known brand of breathable, insulated waterfowl coat will give you a good shot at total comfort. This is not the place to scrimp if you want performance; plan on spending at least $200 (non-sale price). Cheap coats get left hanging in the closet after one use, and are only used for loaning to your non-hunting brother-in-law when the wife tells you that you HAVE to take him out Saturday morning.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:58 am

You might get better feed back on the "gear" forum.

Base layer of quality item, then light fleece, then drake equader wind proof . I carry a Columbia old school wigeon coat and pretty much only use it when running in the boat. It's as cold here as in ny.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:19 am

Weedwacker wrote:Base layer of quality item, then light fleece, then...

Good point, wacker. What you wear under the coat is as important as the coat itself. Thermax or polyprop base layer, then fleece in the thickness to match temperatures, then the coat.
Early season, go with base layer and coat only.
mudpack
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Warmest jacket I have found is the Sitka Kelvin. It doesn't have windstopper but man is it warm!

Yes, it is expensive but you can find it now a few places at big discounts. I got mine off of Camofire at about 45% off.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:32 pm

The Sitka Kelvin looks like a nice jacket, but I can't find anywhere that it's waterproof. :huh:

I did find this in one Amazon ad: Dry: Tumble-dry warm. The heat from the dryer will help reactivate the durable water repellent (DWR) treatment on your garment's outer fabric.
So, perhaps it is water-repellent after all. BUT, that's not waterproof.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Once again it all depends on base layer.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:30 pm

Rivers West eider jacket. Love mine and won't ever have anything else. Completely windproof and waterproof and even comes with a guarantee.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby duckie boy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Thank you all for your help .I wear U A 4.0 for a base layer .The Jacket I have I got a Dicks'.It's water proof and has windstopper .It's not a good Jacket . I'm trying to cut down on the bulk.I will look into your ideas .Thank you again. :hi:
duckie boy
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:53 am

mudpack wrote:The Sitka Kelvin looks like a nice jacket, but I can't find anywhere that it's waterproof. :huh:

I did find this in one Amazon ad: Dry: Tumble-dry warm. The heat from the dryer will help reactivate the durable water repellent (DWR) treatment on your garment's outer fabric.
So, perhaps it is water-repellent after all. BUT, that's not waterproof.

No, the Sitka Kelvin is not waterproof. Sitka categorizes it as an insulation layer. In some really cold days I have had a thermal base layer, the Sitka Kelvin, and an outer rain coat shell if needed and have stayed ultra toasty.

In my opinion and from my experience, the Kelvin really shines in reducing the number of insulating layers on really cold days. Duckie said that sometimes he sometimes has on so many layers that he can hardly move.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:02 am

Another layer guy, here, but the warmest (and waterproof) outer layer I've owned is a Rivers West Backcountry jacket. I'll also add that fleece vests of varying thickness are my insulation mid layers of choice, because they don't get in the way gun mounting like sleeved layers.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby IowaDuckHunting » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Warmest most durable jacket i have owned to date is the cabelas goretex brush buster 4n1 parka jacket..very very warm..removable liner which is also camo, which allows you to wear it earlier in season...I dont wear the full jacket with liner all to much..only late late season or the morning boat ride because it is really really warm but does make me feel like a marshmallow, but it sure does keep me warm on those days in iowa where its just nasty cold and windy...usually just wear either the outer shell or the liner..the fabric also is very durable..does not rip...and it looks like cabelas is having a big sale on the MODB camo ones
IowaDuckHunting
hunter

Postby mjhuey » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Cabelas wind sheer wool sweater. Doesn't look like much, but is by far the warmest jacket I've owned. I have the fleece lined one
mjhuey
hunter

Postby Dave Speer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:41 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Another layer guy, here, but the warmest (and waterproof) outer layer I've owned is a Rivers West Backcountry jacket. I'll also add that fleece vests of varying thickness are my insulation mid layers of choice, because they don't get in the way gun mounting like sleeved layers.

I was looking all over online for thicker fleece vests last year and came up empty, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I like a vest for the airflow around the arms and less arm bulk but I need a heavier one.
Dave Speer
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:09 am

My heaviest vest is an old heavyweight Polar Tec from Cabelas, but I'm as apt to layer a couple lighter ones.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:27 am

it depends a lot on what part of the country you are from and what style of hunting you do. You probably don't need to wear the same thing I did running a trapline east of Fairbanks, AK when it was -30, but in fact the layering plan is still the same here in Idaho when I'm duck hunting. We've hunted in temps from -14 to +80 and I start out with the same base layer, a thin moisture wicking loose fitting UA cold gear camo shirt. That's the only layer I have when it's warm, +45-80. As it gets colder, I'll wear a light cotton camo sweatshirt over that, then will add a windshear camo quarter zip if it's a bit brisk and windy, all of these layers are reasonably thin and will work for temps down to +30. Any colder than that and I add my camo down jacket and that's about it, not a parka, just a jacket, it's not as thick and cumbersome as my parka that I'd only wear when I didn't need to shoot. I don't like goretex, I just don't like the feel or movement of it. On the coldest hunt this year, -14 and I wore all layers and was comfortable. I only add a waterproof layer if it's actually raining, but usually have it stuffed in the blind bag just in case, it's a single thin layer camo jacket. Most hunts I start out with just a few layers on the way to the blind and setting up decoys, then add layers waiting for the sun to rise, then start taking them off as the day warms up. Good gloves or even mittens when it's cold that have the flip open finger area is important. I always wear a face mask, usually a heavy knitted stocking cap type. Heat is lost through the extremities, arms, hands, head and feet. Once you've started losing core heat you are pretty much done for the day. All of my layers are camo. Hunting in southern states or in areas where temps are usually around freezing or above won't probably require the down jacket. If it's above freezing when I leave the house in the morning, I usually put the down jacket in the blind bag just in case the weather turns and only put it on when I'm done with any activity. The last thing you want to do is get hot and sweaty before you start hunting, thus the layering.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby duckie boy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:31 pm

WOW Thank you all.I'm glad You all can help me out here.I'm also glad you all come from all around the country.It gives me a better range of choices. Thanks again .Good luck on the up comin hunting season everyone .
duckie boy
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:55 pm

gotta go with a columbia wigeon jacket. google it - i swear by mine.
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby duckie boy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:01 pm

All of you are awesome .Thanks allot .I've looked into all the suggestions and I must say this columbia widgeon parka is the bomb.That is from what I've read. It's called the sportswear super wader widgeon hunting parka . waterproof with a down liner.Fill power 700. Priced @ $800. e-bay has it for $ 399. Check it out .
duckie boy
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:52 pm

duckie boy wrote:All of you are awesome .Thanks allot .I've looked into all the suggestions and I must say this columbia widgeon parka is the bomb.That is from what I've read. It's called the sportswear super wader widgeon hunting parka . waterproof with a down liner.Fill power 700. Priced @ $800. e-bay has it for $ 399. Check it out .

That's the one :thumbsup:

Good for you, take care of it and it will take care of you :grooving:
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby duckie boy » Sat May 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Well I bought the Columbia jacket .I must say it has a lot of cool stuff about it .Just popped it in the dryer to fluff it back up after shipping. Looks and feels very warm .Thanks all . Now I need the warmest fleece money can buy . :thumbsup:
duckie boy
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Mon May 06, 2013 5:00 am

Sounds like a great jacket,..but.... for one priced at $800 I wouldn't think you'd need anything else under it !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:32 pm

If you are layering the problem may be your layers are too tight. Make sure your outer coat allows for that . Sometimes you may have to buy a size larger. If you have a good water and windproof shell also consider a wool or down inner liner. Wool and down have become the lost children with all the newer high tech materials but still perform as good or better in many conditions
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon May 06, 2013 5:42 pm

MassDecoyCarver wrote:Sounds like a great jacket,..but.... for one priced at $800 I wouldn't think you'd need anything else under it !

In my area, it's not an $800.00 coat :huh:
Don't think he is going to wear it 100% of the time he is hunting.

Weedwacker
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Decoy Forum