Is this a great forum, or what?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Is this a great forum, or what?

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:26 pm

I've been mounting birds for 45 years. Yeah, pretty much old school, but it worked. I'd done a few ducks and other waterfowl here and there, but never really cared to because of all the extra work. But in the two years I've been reading this forum and picking up tips, my interest in waterfowl has really been rejuvinated! A special standing ovation for Dux, the Waterfowler and of course Pete. And all the others who've contributed tips and tricks that have made mounting waterfowl so much easier.

Following Pete's instructions and a little "backyard ingeniuity, I built a fleshing wheel. This single machine has simplified the fleshing process so much that mounting waterfowl is a breeze. The old scrapers, scissors and scalples are in the trash, for the most part. And the hair dryer trick saved a ton of work! (I don't have a tumbler, nor the inclination to build one when the wife's hair dryer is easily "stolen" :wink: )

Like Pete always says, there's more than one way to skin a cat, but learning all these new methods has been fun and helpful.

Thanks again!

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Re: Is this a great forum, or what?

Postby SPatrick » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Frank did you mount the black duck in your profile pic?
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:41 pm

Yes, I did. Strange thing is that really isn't a black duck. It's actually a black - mallard cross. Hard to see in that picture, but the speculum isn't pure black duck. There's white in the bottm edge and the speculum itself has a bluish cast rather than purple. We probably get more crosses around here now than pure blacks. This past season, I shot 2 crosses for every pure black. I even got a first generation cross. Weird looking bird. Top half of his head is green like a mallard. Bottom half is just like a black. He has breas kind of like a drake mallard, but the color is a little off. The belly is like a black duck only lighter, and so is the back. But the wings are mallard drake. He's in the freezer right now about two weeks away, if all goes well.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:06 pm

No, thank you Frank! Funny how a simple thank you feels so good, but in this day and age, please and thank you are waning? It's not hopeless, but manners have seemed to take a back seat? I'm still one of those guys who holds doors….even for three whole seconds lol.

With that said, your simple thank you is a real pleasure to hear, and you're welcome. I can't wait to see some of the results from your newly restored interest!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:44 pm

I hope I can occasionally help someone as much as the help I get from forums like this myself. :smile:

Fabric softner for birds was someone's awsome tip I borrowed in the last few months......I have used it on the last 30 or so birds and really like the results. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum