how much???

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

how much???

Postby Max4Holly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 pm

What are your guys guesses on how much rain we need this off season to Bring us out of this drought? The snow and few storms have certainly helped but won't matter if it's 100 degrees until September and doesn't rain very often!
Max4Holly
hunter

Re: how much???

Postby duckdozer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:06 am

While I have seen the levels rise on quite a few ponds around they are still FEET low not inches, drove by Council Grove lake yesterday on my route and that thing looks sad, the boat ramps are about 6 ft from being able to be used as ramps again. We will need moisture like this for months like back in '94 or even like '98 when I could have swore it rained for 40 days straight. Needless to say we need a bunch more, and that is just for us in the eastern part of the state out west it is ridiculously dry.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby dippinsteve » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Not low no mo... yeesh!!!
2012 stats
Doves = 4
Teal =
Duck=
Goose=
dippinsteve
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:32 pm

It's been a crazy summer for sure. There are parts of the state that are flooding and others that are still in terrible shape. Outside of South Central Kansas the state still needs a huge amount of water.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby mudpack » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:26 pm

The only areas in Kansas I've seen that are not receiving copious amounts of rainfall lie hard up against the Colorado border.
Personally, I hope the rains STOP for awhile....for the ducks, for the farmers, for my yard. :yes:
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:59 pm

mudpack wrote:The only areas in Kansas I've seen that are not receiving copious amounts of rainfall lie hard up against the Colorado border.
Personally, I hope the rains STOP for awhile....for the ducks, for the farmers, for my yard. :yes:

Agreed, the only part of Kansas still in a drought is far Western Kansas. All other areas are no longer in a drought.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:39 am

That's kinda funny considering that North of I-70, in "central" Kansas, there are places that that ponds are still way low and the river hasn't hardly came up.
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:54 am

Here is a link that shows Kansas county by county drought conditions

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_state.htm?KS,HP
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I'm telling that a generalized map on the internet doesn't tell the whole story. Most of my county is in good shape. That being said there are others that look just as bad as they did before the rain.
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:06 pm

fowlhunter wrote:I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I'm telling that a generalized map on the internet doesn't tell the whole story. Most of my county is in good shape. That being said there are others that look just as bad as they did before the rain.

I know youre not trying to be a jerk. Its your opinion based on your own personal observation. And im sure there are a few sections in isolated areas that their map doesnt reflect. But the fact of the matter is that only the farthest most Western section of the state is seeing large scale drought.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby ksgoosekillr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:50 am

fowlhunter wrote:That's kinda funny considering that North of I-70, in "central" Kansas, there are places that that ponds are still way low and the river hasn't hardly came up.

Where exactly are you talking about? cause I have ground from Salina to Concordia, and drive up to Jamestown often and im not seeing that. There isn't a river up there that hasn't came up a lot this year. Not like what is down at Salina but Jamestown is flooded, the republican has been high more than once, glen is up, lovewell is up and actually releasing water, the smoky is high, milford is up, about the only lake that is not up is Webster still 20 ft low, but not exactly "central"
ksgoosekillr
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:18 am

My ponds here in the NE are as low if not lower than last year. Except for 3" of rain in Aug, this summer has been drier than last. My averagecpond is still 4-6ft low.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 am

ksgoosekillr wrote:
fowlhunter wrote:That's kinda funny considering that North of I-70, in "central" Kansas, there are places that that ponds are still way low and the river hasn't hardly came up.

Where exactly are you talking about? cause I have ground from Salina to Concordia, and drive up to Jamestown often and im not seeing that. There isn't a river up there that hasn't came up a lot this year. Not like what is down at Salina but Jamestown is flooded, the republican has been high more than once, glen is up, lovewell is up and actually releasing water, the smoky is high, milford is up, about the only lake that is not up is Webster still 20 ft low, but not exactly "central"

There is a line around the Ellsworth area where the rain fall changes greatly. I'm in Russell Co. and part of it looks better than it has in years and the rest looks horrible.
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby radfordc » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:47 pm

I scouted some areas in NW Mo that I hunted last year and they are either very low (3 feet or more) or bone dry. The rain seems to have missed some areas.
radfordc
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Were 6"-8" above average right now.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby mudpack » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:27 am

radfordc wrote:I scouted some areas in NW Mo that I hunted last year and they are either very low (3 feet or more) or bone dry. The rain seems to have missed some areas.

Yes, certain portions of the United States have not received the rainfall Kansas has.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting