Jumbo Spring Perch

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Jumbo Spring Perch

Postby dudejcb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Been catching fat 13-14 inchers on little swim baits along the bottom. Water 55 degrees, females swarming into 10 feet or less to spawn.

Perch and crappie are delicious. Use 6 to 7 foot ultralight w 4 lb and catch everything. I used to use a 3 wt Orvis flyrod with a Pfluger Presidential reel as my crappie/perch rig. I prefer the spinning rod set up ... more versatile. Use the 3 wt for trout.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Re: Jumbo Spring Perch

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:49 am

dudejcb wrote:Been catching fat 13-14 inchers on little swim baits along the bottom. Water 55 degrees, females swarming into 10 feet or less to spawn.

Perch and crappie are delicious. Use 6 to 7 foot ultralight w 4 lb and catch everything. I used to use a 3 wt Orvis flyrod with a Pfluger Presidential reel as my crappie/perch rig. I prefer the spinning rod set up ... more versatile. Use the 3 wt for trout.

All of the sun type fish are a gas, dude! We've been catching 2 + pound red-eared sunfish on the emergency water supply pond for a closed-down nuke plant here in the Sac area. A lot of fun on a small fly rod. I love the old fiberglass Fenwicks, 535 and 60 for this type fishing.. Not the zing of a graphite, but slow and comfortable like split bamboo. My in-laws had a possibly 1 acre farmpond in Newcastle, CA, Used to slay the 1 pound bluegill and up to 4 or 5 pound largemouth. Fun to get a 4 lb largemouth on a tiny flyrod with a top-water grasshopper or cricket imitation! :thumbsup: Getting ready for stripers, trout, and shad! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:13 am

dudejcb wrote:Been catching fat 13-14 inchers on little swim baits along the bottom.

PICS or it never happened :fingerpt:
:devil:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:04 pm

No kidding. A mess of perch that size begs to be photographed.
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Fishing