when you e.a.s.. jobs?????

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

when you e.a.s.. jobs?????

Postby stealfeathers » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Im a lcpl in usmc. Ill be picking up anytime. I hit my 4 year mark this year and im getting out.
Im a 0311 ( infantry, ) so there is not much to put on a resume besides " i have been a team leader " etc etc. But as far as experiene in other fields that ill need in the civilian world i have very little. I most likely wont do law enforcement. Thought about fire fighter. But when it comes down to it i just want to hear what other people did when they got out. Or what you plan to do.
It is not an option to re enlist, and im married with a kid on the way.

My point for this post is give me some ideas. Im hoping somebody will say something that sounds appealing.
stealfeathers
hunter

Re: when you e.a.s.. jobs?????

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Next year will be my 12 year mark...going the full 20 but my Plan B is AdvoCare...it sounds dumb to some people but it is working for me so far and that will be my "job" when I get out. But as far as your case, which selling health & wellness products may not be for you. Number one thing is do something that you'll be happy with, bouncing around jobs will suck. Check on wildlife related stuff, Game Warden etc. That would be my fall back if need be.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PC76 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Have done some research on the game warden gig and it sounds demanding but rewarding. Look into the federal side of things if it interests you. The benefits and ability to make lateral moves seem like they would be better.

I have been in for 10 but I'm in u til atleast 14 now and it'll probably be 20 but I am planning on going into the education system when I'm done. I already have all my school and testing stuff done. If that's something for you they have tons of opps to offset the costs and posture you to get into that career field. Your education office should be aware. Things like no traditional licensure and if your eligible troops to teachers are out there.
PC76
hunter

Postby camarine » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:39 am

Look into military transition headhunting firms that are a free service... Bradley Morris, Orion, Lucas group. I am getting out this summer and I have a job lined up that I got through Bradley Morris.
camarine
hunter

Postby USMC03-07 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:38 pm

GO TO COLLEGE! GO TO COLLEGE! GO TO COLLEGE!

I was in your shoes and got out and worked a dead end job for two years after I got out. I wish I would have went straight into school after leaving the Marines. Money is a little tight but definitely do-able. Post 9/11 G.I. plus Pell Grant, and part time job you will be fine. PM for more info, but you won't regret going back to school. You might be able to get unemployment benefits as well. Don't be ashamed of getting help. Assistance programs were designed for guys like you who have served your country. Take advantage of them while they are still available. Sit down with your family and really think about what career you want to do and what fits your life and go for it.

Semper Fi
USMC03-07
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 pm

I got out of the Corps 43 years ago. I started down several career paths before deciding to go into biology. I ended up working 30 years as a fishery biologist, and must say that it was, all and all, a great career. I think the same is true for the guys working in wildlife, parks and to some extent game wardens.
The down sides: 1) You need a Master of Science degree to get a job, so you will need to go to college for at least 6 years. A Bachelors degree might get you a technician job, but many agencies will look past technicians in order to hire a person with a MS. Get the MS, or at least realize that you will eventually have to. 2) If you get an opportunity to work for a government agency for the summer, take it, even if it pays little or nothing. Experience counts. 3) There is lots of competition for jobs. However, since natural resource agencies have lost staff during the recession, when the economy comes back, there should be quite a few jobs. 4) The money isn't as good as many jobs, especially at the start, but it's sure rewarding working in the natural resource field.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby brad0861 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:20 pm

I spent nine years in the corps, got out and started going to college and was able to support my wife and I for a year on just my gi bill and a program called worker retraining and then they even threw education assistance at me. Money was still tight but I was getting paid to go to college, if you can swing it do it. I ended up quitting the program to take a job in law enforcement, now I can't imagine doing anything else. The gi bill will also pay out housing benefits during your training, these help to get back on your feet. I used to think the whole law enforcement thing wasn't for me too, I suggest doing a ride along if you are at all interested. Keep in mind a game warden is still law enforcement, you will probably go through the same academy plus other training for the fur and feather laws.good luck and feel free to pm me if you got any questions.
brad0861
hunter

Postby E5B » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:53 pm

I spent four years in the USMC as a 0341 then got out without a clue of what I wanted to do. Decided to go college and a year into it I decided to go back post-degree. Been in ever since.

Bottom line, go to college or a trade school and put that college money to work for you. The light will come on for you eventually and you will find yourself in a comfortable position.
E5B
hunter

Postby MTQ » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:23 am

I was in the same boat when I got out of the Corps. Couldn't figure out what to put on resume as an 0311. Wound up going to school for construction management, used the GI Bill, ect, ect...
Most people have no concept of what any MOS in the military does anyway, they gush over the leadership experience it seems like though. No one in an interview has ever actually asked me what I did while I was in.
There are great veteran job services out there now though that can help. I went to the unemployment office first thing and met with their Vet rep who helped guide me in the right directions. As far as careers it probably depends where you live and what you like. Here in the twin tiers (northern PA and sw NY) the gas companies have huge presence with the hydrofracking and seem to recruit heavily out of the military, education or not.
Good luck bud.
Canadas-4
Snows-5
Mallards-8
Blacks-2
Woodies-1
MTQ
Newb

Postby nitram » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:34 pm

So OP, it's been almost 3 years since your post, where did you land?
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 am

You mean 1 year? I make the mistake of looking at Join Date sometimes instead of the posted date.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon May 12, 2014 4:36 pm

Haha, I ended up re enlisting!
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby nitram » Tue May 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Fair enough. Good Luck Marine :beer:

Semper Fi
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat May 17, 2014 2:59 pm

stealfeathers wrote:Haha, I ended up re enlisting!

Haha such a love hate.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Return to Military Forum