Patternmaster chokes?

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D

Patternmaster chokes?

Postby kjm1022 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Patternmaster chokes? In theory they sound pretty nice, just wondering if anyone has forked over the $90 and has been blown away by them, or not.
kjm1022
hunter

Re: Patternmaster chokes?

Postby Woodsy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:42 pm

I have both the regular pm and the short range pm. I personally love them both under the right circumstances. I don't shoot black cloud or anything just normal fed steel and I definitely noticed a difference in fewer cripples. I use the reg pm on geese and late season ducks and the short range early season ducks teal and in real tight spots. IMO no choke is going to be the magic bullet and I don't think there is a tremendous difference between like a pm or a kicks. I am learning it is more about picking a choke for your hunting style, finding a load that patterns well through it, and most importantly learning how to shoot it and realizing its limitations and benefits. It took me about a year to fully figure out my reg pm and all the above, but now i feel like I am way more deadly on shots that would have been cripples before. I guess it boils down to personal opinion in the end, I love mine and have made it work very well for me. If you take the time to figure one out you will probably be very happy as well. ......adam
Woodsy
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:31 am

Thanks for your input. What I liked most was their claim of a shorter shot string that puts more pellets on target. I dont usually have a lot of cripples because i try to only shoot at decoying ducks, but once in a while one gets lucky. :wink:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby Woodsy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Yes you will notice a lot less of the string effect and more of the brick wall effect. I notice it more with the short range pm. The regular pm at close range is like shooting slugs at birds. Once they pass 15 yds then it opens up nice. If you hunt tight spots or like decoying birds in your face style go with the short range. You kill lots of geese or most shots average 20 + yards go reg pm. Hope this helps make spending your money easier.
Woodsy
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting