What is the best place in the US for honkers

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

What is the best place in the US for honkers

Postby 0321Tony » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:38 am

I am looking for a good place to go to shoot Canadians. (geese that is)
I know Saskatchewan is a great place to hunt but where in the good ol USA is a good place to hunt geese with liberal bag limits. I will have to use a guide as there is no way I could bring my own gear down and it's a long way to travel for only 2 birds per day unless we could duck hunt too. So if anyone knows a good outfitter with a good area for geese let me know please.
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
0321Tony
hunter

Re: What is the best place in the US for honkers

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:46 am

The Dakotas and MN will have liberal bag limits again for at least the august and September seasons. 8-15 bird limit depending on the state, and hopefully 5 bird regular season limits. No shortage of guides either...:-?

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby 0321Tony » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:15 am

I hunted the Missouri spring snow Hu t and am planning to hunt north Dakota this next spring to change it up next time. Looks like I may go back next fall as well. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
0321Tony
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:54 am

Minnesota consistantly has the highest death rate on canadas (not sure about Canadians :hammer: ) in the nation. If you are looking for a good guide service, check out the Rochester area. Look for a guy named Dean... he'll put you on 'em.

Not sure about the 15 a day limit though. That is next door.

Always tryin' to catch up... :hammer:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:17 am

For the most consistent gunning throughout the season I would be looking at metropolitan areas in the upper midwest. Numbers might not be that impressive, but the birds are predictable and always there. Look for guides who have access to golf courses.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby NicholasCarter@BMO » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Illinois. Hands down.

Kentucky grown....
NicholasCarter@BMO
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:18 pm

I guess... but on average there are around twice (slight exaggeration) as many geese killed in MN compared to IL every year. For instance, ILs highest harvest to date was in 2007 at 170,000 geese. MN that same year harvested around 200,000 (not twice). Our best year was 2003 at almost 285,000 geese, so...... :grooving:

:lol3:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:10 pm

Eastern Washington
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Any where in the Mid West can be really good if you can get on the fields the birds are using. I have been on goose hunts I would consider world class in Wisconsin but since its hard to get permission from land owners its not consistent. The other problem is we can only shoot 2 geese during the regular season. If your looking for in your face action and big limits I would reccomend early season. Not the numbers but it can be very fun.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Gunnysway wrote:I guess... but on average there are around twice (slight exaggeration) as many geese killed in MN compared to IL every year. For instance, ILs highest harvest to date was in 2007 at 170,000 geese. MN that same year harvested around 200,000 (not twice). Our best year was 2003 at almost 285,000 geese, so...... :grooving

Do you guys have to call in your geese? We are supposed to in Wisconsin.

Reporting rate affects those numbers greatly.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:06 am

When you purchase your stamps for the season, they ask how many geese you harvested the previous year.

Here's a fact jack... There may be more convenient locations to put up numbers, but us 'Sotans put geese on the ground at a consistantly high level. And thats with farmers and land owners that are not as willing as most, to let a buncha' stone cold killers :wink: (not with out a little grease $$$) on their properties. This is NOT ND or Canada... This is the land of drain tile and do nothing complainers...

I will not be bragging about our duck, pheasant or un-managed deer populations... I could probably name 49 states that do a better job with those rescources. :sad:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:01 pm

There are absolutely NO geese in PA so don't bother! :lol: FWIW fellas. PA was the number one state in goose harvest report #s for more than a couple years untill about 3 or 4 years ago when the weather went all goofy and flyways shifted. NY actually took the number one spot then, though I don't know which state has the top ranking now.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:17 am

OregonSpeck85 wrote:Eastern Washington

I would listen to this guy!!!

also parts of Oregon and northern cali!

the peanut fields in texas.

south Dakota if you can get drawn - early season..

there are also some eastern states that have very large bags during the resident season.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:53 am

I will echo many of the statements made already. The Dakotas, and MN for greaters, Eastern Washington for lessers.

Welcome back Possum where the heck you been man? :welcome:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Cyrus1983 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 am

Minnesotas in december can be great,
If the good lord were a deer hunter, he'd shoot a 270
Cyrus1983
hunter

Postby jpeterson117 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:50 am

tornadochaser wrote:The Dakotas and MN will have liberal bag limits again for at least the august and September seasons. 8-15 bird limit depending on the state, and hopefully 5 bird regular season limits. No shortage of guides either...:-?

Sent from my DROID Pro

MN bag limits are 5 or 10, depending on area, for early September season (1st-20th). Regular season limits are 3. Regular season starts Sep 21.
jpeterson117
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:15 am

Gunnysway wrote:Minnesota consistantly has the highest death rate on canadas (not sure about Canadians :hammer: ) in the nation.

Waiting for someone to catch that. :lol3:

I never hunted Canadas out of state. With that, Braidwood, IL will hold 50K Canadas if the weather is right. There is a club on the West side of Braidwood Lake. Daily rate is $125 per gun plus tip. Bring nothing except your gun. Pits are the largest I ever been in and the most comfortable. Their cliental is a little bit older and weighted to the retirement community. The entire West side of the lake is Death Alley as it's closest to the refuge area. I would recommend Braidwood Hunt Club. Do not let their website fool you. They are extremely high in class and respectable owners and guides. Actually, one owner is a Pro Staff to three major waterfowl companies. He would never boast it either. These boys are home grown local and never the snobby type club. If the birds aren't there, they won't let you waste your money. If the birds are there, your days hunt could be done within minutes or a few hours. In the area hotels are inexpensive getting as low as $30-$40 a night. The best time to hunt ducks and geese is the last few weeks of duck season. Difficult, but can be done. I have no affiliation with the club. I use to be a member for a few years ago. I still keep in contact with their guides. If you need any other info, please PM.

http://www.braidwoodlakehuntclub.com
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:55 am

Then you have an affiliation with the club. Lol
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:53 am

Not quite. Affiliation would be if I am taking profit for a referral. Not the case. I actually hunt a competing club on the East side.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:07 am

Bill Herian wrote:For the most consistent gunning throughout the season I would be looking at metropolitan areas in the upper midwest. Numbers might not be that impressive, but the birds are predictable and always there. Look for guides who have access to golf courses.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby QAHONKER » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:42 pm

5-10 years ago I would say the eastern shore of Maryland, but here the last few years the numbers have fallen, atleast around my way....I assume its the same issue PA is having, screwy weather patterns, lack of a real winter and a shift in the fly way. Our limits are only 2 a day, but when geese are on us they are in your face. Its where the waterfowling traditions started so there is a flare of tradition and nostalgia there.....
FOILES MIGRATORS
QAHONKER
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:32 pm

Front Range of Colorado :thumbsup:
duckman27
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum