zink broke in guts???

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

zink broke in guts???

Postby kalikiller15 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:36 am

Just curious about what you think of zinks broken in guts? I've heard they sound great but have to crack up top? Been thinkin of putting some into my call. Also, I believe they come with a shaved reed, I've never ran a shaved reed so does anyone know how they sound with a normal reed in them? Lookin to add a little more range to my call but don't want to lose top end as I only hunt with my calls and typically, the honkers responde to the higher pitched stuff. Please let me know what you think...thanks
kalikiller15
hunter

Re: zink broke in guts???

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:30 pm

I love the Zink BIG's. One of my favorite sets of BIG's out there. They run pretty good in most calls too. To me, they do it all. Yes they are high pitched, but some of that has to do with the shaved reed. A shaved reed will give you a better low end (you will be able to control the low end better) and it will cause the call to take less air, but you do lose some of the crack.

I would say try them out, you should like them...JMHO :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby barrykeicks » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:15 pm

Ben is right on about losing a bit of snap with the shaved reed. I swapped out the shaved reed from my COD,I just found that I got more snap and crack with the stock reed. I retained the worn in tone channel with this setup though. I think even with the stock reed the COD has on of the nastiest low ends on the market..especially in Hedge. :thumbsup:
barrykeicks
hunter

Postby kalikiller15 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Got my Zink bigs today and notice me that the don't sound as loud as the stocks. They do have a nasty low end tho. Any one else notice this?
kalikiller15
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:57 pm

kalikiller15 wrote:Got my Zink bigs today and notice me that the don't sound as loud as the stocks. They do have a nasty low end tho. Any one else notice this?

They might be a softer material? They are broke in and have a shaved reed so they won't have that crack...

Maybe someone associated with Zink could chime in :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby barrykeicks » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Maybe someone associated with Zink could chime in :thumbsup:

Ben as far as I know the reed material is the same it is the shaving that changes the chrispness of the note. i know of at least one of our Elite Goose Calling Team that runs a stock reed in competition, although well broken in.

I will check with the shop just to make sure about the material though. :huh:
barrykeicks
hunter

Postby kalikiller15 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:48 pm

So after toying with the BIGs I think I may go back to the stock guts in my sr1 and put the BIGs into my birdseye maple call that a buddy is custom makin for me. That way I have a ringer and a finisher
kalikiller15
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum