hunting lower NY

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

hunting lower NY

Postby mk3vento97 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:31 am

Has anyone hunted lower New York near the Pa line? I over heard someone talking about hunting waterfowl above coudersport/tioga in pa. I didn't know if anyone on here has hunted close to that area, if so is it good hunting with all the high mountains? And what type of ducks can be found in that area of ny?
mk3vento97
hunter

Re: hunting lower NY

Postby sssurfertim » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:52 pm

I do a little bit of early season gunning in Hancock NY, which is right over the border from PA. Not a lot of ducks, but enough for a good hunt. We have killed blacks, mallards, woodies, and common mergs. All my hunting is done on a big fast moving river, we try to find coves with little current to decoy them, you can pass shoot too but that's not my style of hunting. Goose hunting is much better in the area. Duckhunting in the morning, grouse mid day, and bowhunting in the evening, doesn't get any better! :beer:
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:40 am

sssurfertim wrote:I do a little bit of early season gunning in Hancock NY, which is right over the border from PA. Not a lot of ducks, but enough for a good hunt. We have killed blacks, mallards, woodies, and common mergs. All my hunting is done on a big fast moving river, we try to find coves with little current to decoy them, you can pass shoot too but that's not my style of hunting. Goose hunting is much better in the area. Duckhunting in the morning, grouse mid day, and bowhunting in the evening, doesn't get any better! :beer:

add beer! :yes:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby sstermer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:14 pm

You are talking the Corning, NY area. There are a few small rivers in the area, they get hunted pretty hard. We manage to scratch out a few here and there in the early split. If the weather cooperates in the late season it can be spectacular. Scouting and finding access to good spots are the hardest part. It's taken us 5 years to figure out the places we have now, always looking for more. We mostley kill common mergansers and mallards with an occasional black duck and wood duck. Saw a pintail last year, that was a first. :thumbsup:
Pass the tradition, introduce a child to the outdoors.
sstermer
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting