Saved by a shorebird

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Saved by a shorebird

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:35 am

So this year with an addition on the house planned and our son starting in a private school we agreed to not get much of anything for each other for birthdays and our anniversary. Which is today....Well, when I got home last night from work and didnt have anything I knew I had taken her too literally and was about to be in deep doo doo come morning. So after dinner I started and finished this bird. It was either so ugly it made her cry or she likes it that much. This is my first real attempt at a shorebird.
Attachments
shorebird2 4 17 2013.jpg
shorebird 4 17 2013.jpg
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Re: Saved by a shorebird

Postby Mr.Pymatuning » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:17 am

I like the looks! A very simple design which I like better sometimes. It's the thought that counts right?
Mr.Pymatuning
DHC Sponsor

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:28 am

If you can mow them out that fast, you should start throwing them up on Craigs or eBay and pay for that kid.....
You'll get $40-$50 minimum easy for that....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:40 am

Thanks guys. Slack by fast if you mean done in one night then yea it was fast. I brought it inside to finish drying at 2am. The carving took no time. I roughed it out with a hatchet. Then worked the details with a roughing knife and gouge. They're certainly fun to make. Pretty easy pattern to follow too.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 am

Seriously,
Rough out 6. See if you can work on a curved bill. Paint them all at once while you have the paint out....a few different bases and throw them up on CL of eBay just for the hell of it. Maybe there's a gift, antique shop near you that you can put them up on consignment...you've seen people pay money for a LOT worse!

What kind of wood?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:35 am

Pretty slick looking. I like it alot :thumbsup:
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks ringneck.

Slack its white cedar and oil paint. Yellow legs dont have a curved bill but then again they arent called black legs either. :lol3: I plan to try several others and have come up with a way to steam them and a jig for drying some white oak bills. Thanks for the vote of confidence in my work though.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 am

I just meant that a lot of those type carving may or may not actually BE any specific species and just a generic "shore bird" but the curved bill could add a nice touch.
Look for curved branches in your yard and use them
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:16 am

I know what you mean. The decoys that have them certainly have an added look to them. How are those black heads coming along?
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 am

I have been going 100mph for the last few months! My son was baptized, state testing BS.....tooooo much.
Carving is at a stand still for now. I have a bunch of odds and ends done, just need assembly..
Believe me, I am eager to get them done and posted
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:33 am

If it makes you feel better you're not alone there man. Im looking forward to seeing those birds finished.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:36 am

I like it ! Simplistic carving yet accurate in form ! I also like the pose, not your standard position, and the driftwood is a nice touch.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:45 am

Thanks Mass. The driftwood was found about 7 years ago with my prop in the seaside mud. Lord knows how long it had been under the mud I had been holding onto it waiting for the right carving or duck mount to put on it. This one seemed good as any.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:14 am

I don't know if these are the blacks that you were talking about Have-Gun. But here are a few I finished. I repainted the head in the foreground and the shine is from the flash...they are nice and dull and the bodies brown is darker without the flash. They did well this season....held up great, floated nice...more to come.
bdk.jpg
BurlBlacks.jpg
Triple.jpg
ANd yes, before you ask, I had 2 other guys with me!
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:32 am

Man those heads came out nice. I try to have 3 head in my blind so that we can shoot more than one bird a day. :lol3:
Attachments
Caserta Black Ducks w Mallory.JPG
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:51 am

Yeah they did...
My friend cut the blanks out and carved half of the back one as a guide. I finished the other side and the entire one in the front.
Thanks
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 am

You've got a good start and its great that you have someone to show you the ropes. Keep it up!
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum