Pekin Lake?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Pekin Lake?

Postby jscheirer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Hello, I'm a college student and just looking for more places to hunt in the area. I'm interested in Pekin Lake. I know the river has to be up for there to be water in there, but in normal conditions could I get a 12 foot jon into the lake? Is it marshy out there or mostly timber situations? Thanks for any and all input you guys have.
jscheirer
hunter

Re: Pekin Lake?

Postby likesbigspreads » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Need to access it from the river so a 12' jon would be pretty small. There are a few timber holes, the rest are willow sloughs and along a couple hundred yard wide lake.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Ok, I'm just looking at putting in just south of the lake. I think it is technically the Pekin Boat Club area. Even if I kept the boat close to shore would it be a tough ride? Maybe a 14' with a longtail would be ok?
jscheirer
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Mon May 20, 2013 2:42 pm

jscheirer wrote:Ok, I'm just looking at putting in just south of the lake. I think it is technically the Pekin Boat Club area. Even if I kept the boat close to shore would it be a tough ride? Maybe a 14' with a longtail would be ok?

If you are using the boat club you would not really need to be in the river but a few hundred yards, so you should be ok. I know the river has to be higher than normal to access certain parts of the lake.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Mon May 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Have you hunted there before? Are there alot of people who hunt it if there's enough water?
jscheirer
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Wed May 22, 2013 9:13 am

jscheirer wrote:Have you hunted there before? Are there alot of people who hunt it if there's enough water?

I have never drawn a blind there. That being said, when the water is up I do hunt it. Mostly in the afternoon after the blind owners hunt. The place gets packed when the water is up. About half of the spots are good and the blind builders usally show up. It is boat blind only I do believe. I have not seen an actual blind up there in years.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Wed May 22, 2013 3:32 pm

And I understand there is no check station or anything like that? You just arrive to the blind site and hope that the blind builders are not there? also how to the blind "builders" prove who they are?
jscheirer
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Wed May 22, 2013 6:51 pm

jscheirer wrote:And I understand there is no check station or anything like that? You just arrive to the blind site and hope that the blind builders are not there? also how to the blind "builders" prove who they are?

No check station, I never have asked anyone for id when they say it is their blind. I guess they are supposed to have the state issued card with them?
likesbigspreads
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting