looking for a good guide at cedar island....

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Postby nctaxi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Thinking of trying cedar island out this year...anybody know of a good guide ??
nctaxi
hunter

Re: looking for a good guide at cedar island....

Postby ibedamn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:29 am

All the ones I ever hunted with are dead or retired. But, you can call the Driftwood Motel. They should be able to provide you with several to choose from. 252-225-4861
ibedamn
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Jamie Daniels, I hunted with him on two separate occasions and have not been disappointed. 252-241-5386
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby nctaxi » Wed May 01, 2013 10:23 am

thanks for the info guys.....i actually booked a hunt on ocracoke and now i need to decide if i still want to do cedar island...gonna give the curtain blinds a try for 4 days opening week of the third swing...then up to lake ontario for golden eyes in Jan. so cedar island may have to wait till next year now... :grooving:;
Last edited by nctaxi on Sat May 04, 2013 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
nctaxi
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Fri May 03, 2013 6:31 pm

How did you manage to book a curtain blind hunt before the season dates where set? None of the guides I hunted with before have never done that.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby nctaxi » Sat May 04, 2013 4:37 am

I have never hunted there before so I cannot say how or when all the guides book but, I called and explained to him that I only had one week I could do it and that I wanted 4 days of that week . He said he could take us so I booked 4 hunters for 4 days. I sent my deposit and have received my conformation...
nctaxi
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sat May 04, 2013 2:33 pm

You knew your dates and had a full party, the guide would be crazy to turn it down. Good luck , I have hunted curtain blinds many times, I enjoyed it but don't really have the desire to do it every year like I have in the past. Kind of the been there done that syndrome.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby nctaxi » Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 am

Yea, i understand the "done that time to change" syndrome...The group i am going with, take a trip every year down to the outer banks with guide Vic Berg... but they wanted to change it up a little this year...They are not die hard duck hunters so finding them something new is not real hard but, i still want to try and do something different .The curtain blinds fit my needs for something new, as well as giving them a good hunt and change of location. :beer:
nctaxi
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Mon May 06, 2013 6:54 am

I hunted Cedar Island in January. We hunted the poll blinds out in the sound. The birds know exactly what these things are. When you're hunting those blinds ya better hope for a nasty day, otherwise the birds won't even take a look.
The sad part is that we saw where all the birds were funneling to... Wanted to be on that X sooo bad!

This was a last resort because a guide in Mississippi canceled on us :(
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:54 am

That "X" you mentioned was most likely a big yellow "C". :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Mon May 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:That "X" you mentioned was most likely a big yellow "C". :lol3:

That's exactly what I told my buddy! They were funneling back into a bay way too predicable for anything else. But still, whatever letter it was, I'd like to be on it! :D
BKScripto
hunter

Postby nctaxi » Tue May 28, 2013 7:08 am

If your competing against the Big "C" then i don't think it matters what kind of blind your in !!!....But the Poll Blinds are all we hunted up around nags head and that part of the outer banks... nothing new to me...going by what i hear from other hunters these curtain blinds are something everyone needs to try atleast once ....so we shall see...
nctaxi
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting