Can you change wind Mojo to motorized?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Can you change wind Mojo to motorized?

Postby hockymvp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:25 am

I just got a Mojo wind powered decoy. I got it because it was cheap as hell, and I figured I could rig something up to make it spin. Before I tinker around, I was wondering if anyone could save me the trouble by telling me how they have done theirs. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
hockymvp
hunter

Re: Can you change wind Mojo to motorized?

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm

I think you would probably have as much in the wind driven plus the motor as you would had you just purchased the Mojo motorized in the first place, but here are a couple of motors on eBay for sale for the spinners.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mojo%20decoy%20motor&clk_rvr_id=471170273052&adpos=1s5&crlp=12899412075_2416792&MT_ID=69&tt_encode=raw&keyword=mojo+decoy+motor&geo_id=10152&adgroup_id=3648563595&crdt=0
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:30 pm

hockymvp wrote:I just got a Mojo wind powered decoy. I got it because it was cheap as hell, and I figured I could rig something up to make it spin.

I'm picturing a Massey-Ferguson Farmall tractor with a 20 foot leather belt running from the PTO to a tiny little pully on the Mojo..........
mudpack
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Tenfingergrip-Well, the point was to not buy their motor because then you would be correct. I was thinking more along the lines of mudpack's version to keep it cheap. Ok, well maybe not that simple. I was thinking about tinkering with a remote control car, and see if I can pull some parts to make something work. I'd have a remote too! Or something similar. I'm looking for some outside the box ideas.

mudpack-You got it man. That would bring them right in! Just a long process setting up again!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:47 pm

I'm an expert at turning power mojos into wind-only units.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:36 am

hockymvp,
I made a homemade spinning wing back when the motorized mojos were just being introduced (mid 90's?). Back then the mojos sold for over $200. I used a yard mallard that I cut the base off, made homemade feet out of a surf laundry detergent jug, legs out of pneumatic air hose, a remote controled toy truck motor and it's transmitter, made the mount out of an old golf cart handle so I could change the angle of landing, mounted the motor with a piece of thin sheet metal, wings out of plastic cutting boards, attached the wings to a piece of pvc and had a great, inexpensive motorized spinning wing decoy. After about a year, when mojo started selling their motors, I substituted the truck motor for the mojo motor and still use the spinner.
So that's some suggestions......however, it would probably be easier and cheaper, not as much fun though, to just buy the motor. Your biggest problem would be in the mounting of the truck motor.

Here's some pics of the old boy and how mine was rigged. (with the new mojo motor substituted) More pics on photobucket:

http://s766.photobucket.com/user/tenfingergrip/library/Homemade%20Spinner

tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum