Goose in with the Woodies

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Goose in with the Woodies

Postby bkmaine » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:01 pm

In Maine we get mostly wood ducks in the early season, maybe a few local mallards. We also have an early goose season the month before it opens up for ducks. What do you think about throwin some goose floaters in with woodie decoys? I'm thinkin about days when 90% of the birds I see are woodies...
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Re: Goose in with the Woodies

Postby SMDGUNNER » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:48 pm

Where do yya live at in Maine. I lived their about 5 years ago in Brunswick before moving. Iremember my dad used to take us jumpshooting out of a canoe. Wed kill teal, mallards, blackduck, woodies alkali the time. It was ulone of a kind!
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun May 05, 2013 6:46 pm

I wouldnt.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby mayhem96 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Throw them to the side of your duck decoys. Here with all the farm ponds we hunt, we run no more than 2 dozen duck decoys and then off on the side we run maybe a dozen goose floaters.

Geese can be skittish when it comes to ducks. Keep that in mind..and play around.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed May 15, 2013 6:53 am

Ive never seen a wood duck sitting near geese, but I have killed them in the same places. For gray ducks and baldpates we mix the decoys right in together and do well on them.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum