Need boat help

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Need boat help

Postby ryano022 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:25 pm

This boat has been abandoned in my neighborhood and the maintenance guys tell me to take it before it gets towed. No motor,title or anything has a trailer that's little rough but got new tires. Was wondering if anyone would say get it and do work on it piece at a time or if its not worth it. If it is, what would you recommend?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367285100.817236.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367285115.257396.jpg
ryano022
hunter

Re: Need boat help

Postby bdub » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:58 am

If its FREE its ME! I would take it in a heart beat. Get it floating, sand it down and paint it up. You have plenty of time to get it ready for next season.
bdub
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 am

What is it made out of? The rub rails look metal, but everything else looks like wood/fiberglass. Fiberglass can be easily patched, but depending on the condition it's in it may not be worth it, as it may have rotted. Your best bet is going to be to strip out any wood that's visibly rotten, then figure out if and where any wood is inside the hull, and whether or not it's rotten too. I'm sure the boat can be restored, but depending on the condition of the hull and the materials used, it may not be a cheap or easy project.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby BigBend » Wed May 01, 2013 10:52 am

I'm kind of thinking by the time you invest the money to getting that thing useable, you could pick up a used aluminum Craigslist special and have alot less headache. If you could snag that trailer I would, those are pretty easy to fix up. Still will have to get it registered (the trailer).
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Thu May 02, 2013 3:18 am

Its almost impossible to register a vessel in Florida without a title. Unless you have a clear title in your name, don't spend a dime.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby chris_k » Fri May 03, 2013 1:45 pm

You won't be able to register this boat.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby chris_k » Fri May 03, 2013 8:34 pm

The only way you might be able to buy a title to the boat is if you said you "made" the boat. Now you would have to scratch out serial numbers and so on. Or say your grandpa made the boat and its been in his possession for many years and he made it.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun May 05, 2013 2:44 pm

chris_k wrote:The only way you might be able to buy a title to the boat is if you said you "made" the boat. Now you would have to scratch out serial numbers and so on. Or say your grandpa made the boat and its been in his possession for many years and he made it.

Bad idea. Such practice constitutes felony fraud
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby bdub » Mon May 06, 2013 5:13 pm

If you dont put a motor of any kind on it you dont have to register it. Make it as light as possible and turn it into a sneak boat and just pole your self thoughout the marshes. :thumbsup:
bdub
hunter

Postby Belly up dux » Thu May 09, 2013 5:54 am

There should be a VIN on the transom and if there are reg. numbers on the hull take this info to the tax office and have them look it up. The owner can come claim it and say it's his, so don't fix it before doing this. If he doesn't want it you can get a title and have it signed over to you. The other thing is to try and claim it as abandoned property. Call the local tax office and they should be able to help you.
Belly up dux
State Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Thu May 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Belly up dux wrote:There should be a VIN on the transom and if there are reg. numbers on the hull take this info to the tax office and have them look it up. The owner can come claim it and say it's his, so don't fix it before doing this. If he doesn't want it you can get a title and have it signed over to you. The other thing is to try and claim it as abandoned property. Call the local tax office and they should be able to help you.

This is the exception to almost impossible. It does require money on your part, as ads must be posted for a certain amount of time, and then if the registered owner claims it, your out the cash with no boat. Its usually way more headache than its worth. Its very time consuming, so do not expect a quick turnaround. I would save yourself the trouble and find a boat with a clean title. You will come out ahead in the long run with your time and money.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby ryano022 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Well unfortunately they had it towed today, guess no one was claiming it and the neighborhood wanted it gone, I was talking to the tower guy and he seemed pretty knowledgable bout boats and etc and said it was in decent shape, just the wood flooring was rotted and would need replaced and few touch ups but said with buying a motor and depending how much I got that for I could have been under a g. But then had to get the title and etc so prob would have been little over, guess its time to start looking on Craigslist. Just seems like people want kinda high prices for some beat up boats and some don't even have a trailer, motor or both. And I like the "barely leaks" snuck in at the end.
ryano022
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Thu May 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Just fyi during your search, it I, illegal in Florida to buy or sell a vessel without a title. Best of luck, boat shopping is always fun

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby ryano022 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:52 am

Whaknstak...it is illegal? I highly doubt all the people on Craigslist knows that? Thanks for the heads up. When I've been doing my searching, soon as I see no title I go right to the next one. Not trying to deal with the hassle of getting a title.
ryano022
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri May 10, 2013 2:18 pm

It is.

Florida statute 328.03(i)3

3)[EM SPACE]A person shall not sell, assign, or transfer a vessel titled by the state without delivering to the purchaser or transferee a valid certificate of title with an assignment on it showing the transfer of title to the purchaser or transferee. A person shall not purchase or otherwise acquire a vessel required to be titled by the state without obtaining a certificate of title for the vessel in his or her name. The purchaser or transferee shall, within 30 days after a change in vessel ownership, file an application for a title transfer with the county tax collector. An additional $10 fee shall be charged against the purchaser or transferee if he or she files a title transfer application after the 30-day period. The county tax collector shall be entitled to retain $5 of the additional amount.

Its a little known fact. Best thing is pass it up and move to the next one like you mentioned. Hope this helps.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting