Who's going after turkey's?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Who's going after turkey's?

Postby sssurfertim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Headed up to Ulster County tomorrow for opening day, and then to Deleware County til Friday. Hopefully I will find some action in three mornings ill have to hunt. Good luck to everyone heading out.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Re: Who's going after turkey's?

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Good luck, Tim. I was up at the camp in Delaware Co the beginning of April. There were birds all over the place. We took my grandson up to Cooperstown and I couldn't believe how many birds we saw! Should be a good season. I may be going for a day or two next week.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 am

Damn chiggers!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon May 06, 2013 12:57 pm

We got this one Saturday morning. 22 lbs.

Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Mon May 06, 2013 7:45 pm

Here's one I shot with my son on Sunday. :thumbsup:

(we went Walleye fishing on Saturday and Danny caught his biggest fish so far, 23 ich Walleye! It was quite a weekend. It all ended Sunday evening when Dan's toe was run over by a car in the parking lot!!!!! No broken bones, but what pretty shades of blue and purple!!!! No Little League for one week! :no: )
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby sssurfertim » Tue May 07, 2013 6:38 am

Very nice guys! :clapping: saw plenty but didn't connect.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Tue May 07, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks Tim.

From what I've seen and heard from other hunters, I'd say that a lot of birds around here are still hanging around with their harems. Therefore it has been tough to get them to commit.

I had hoped to call one in for Ethan Saturday morning. However after a few hours of trailing the flock and setting up to call near some of the fields they use, we began heading back across a large field towards where we had started from at shooting light. We were walking through grass that was almost knee high and then behind some topsoil piles where we had seen a mature bird earlier. Ethan was walking behind me and I was telling him how you've got to take your time and keep your eyes peeled. All of a sudden we see a hen booking it towards the woods. Then this guy came running out of nowhere. Hit him quartering away at 20 - 25 yards. Not as dramatic as calling one in, but a fun hunt nonetheless.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting