how to place decoys in field

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

how to place decoys in field

Postby rkduckcarver » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:19 pm

I would like to know how to place shell duck decoys in a field in conjunction w/ goose decoys. Also where should a person place the mojo?
Thanks
When hell freezes over I'll hunt there too.
rkduckcarver
Newb

Re: how to place decoys in field

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:28 pm

Your best bet is to watch the birds and make sure you can get on the "X". We normally run our goose decoys right out in front and in between the blinds and then come in on either side with duck decoys. Put the Mojo with the duck decoys. Also, I have seen geese flare like crazy to a Mojo...normally we don't even run one. 90% of the time, I run a Mojo Mallard, Teal, Gadwall, or Wood Duck early in the season and then pull them in mid-late November. Birds get so used to seeing them and it cost us some otherwise good hunts late in the season. Lesson learned though.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun May 05, 2013 8:25 am

This is our "go to" field set-up while hunting Canadas and ducks. The little x's being the ducks. The mojos are generally placed within 10 yds of the layouts or blind and taken down when the geese start flying around 8 am (geese sleep in later than ducks). Obviously wind direction is the variable and if you know the wind is going to be strong from a particular direction, then the bottom legs of the X can be brought closer to the layouts/blind for greater concentration of the dekes on the spot. We run about 5-6 dozen shells and full bodies. Full bodies closer to the blind. We use the full X when the wind may be light and vaiable so we don't have to rearrange so many dekes when the geese are flying. After the first couple of flocks, they'll let you know what your set-up needs to be. Dekes around the blind are placed "haphazard', not all facing in the same direction, and are by-in-large feeders. Help? Just our way, there are many, many other set-ups that are successful. Research and study.

Also, I just made us three battery powered goose flaggers out of wiper motors, (thanks to John ONeal), which we'll put into action this fall in Canada. Hoping that that addition will bring some more attention to our set-ups.

click to enlarge
Field Decoy placement  X.jpg
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Great info tenfingergrip
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon May 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Set goose spread, stick mojos where you want ducks to finish. Pretty simple. Don't need much for duck decoys in a field spread. We shot limits of mallards with 4 dozen real geese and 4 dozen Ghg mallard shells, and we shot limits with just goose decoys & spinners out. Really only going to use duck decoys in the field this coming fall on birds that have been pressured for a while.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting