Getting into diver hunting...

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Getting into diver hunting...

Postby Iworkemintight16 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:38 am

I was just wanting to see if I could pick up any tips on here from you guys. I have hunted puddle ducks since I was 6 and have had great success. I was wondering about coot decoys on fresh bodies of water? how many you need? Also can you kill good numbers of puddle ducks out of lay out boats? And is it the more the merrier when it comes to decoys on open bodies of water?

Thanks
Iworkemintight16
Newb

Re: Getting into diver hunting...

Postby ohioboy » Thu May 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Iworkemintight16 wrote:I was just wanting to see if I could pick up any tips on here from you guys. I have hunted puddle ducks since I was 6 and have had great success. I was wondering about coot decoys on fresh bodies of water? how many you need? Also can you kill good numbers of puddle ducks out of lay out boats? And is it the more the merrier when it comes to decoys on open bodies of water?

Thanks

Do you see coots where you are? If yes, use em.

Diver spreads go from one to 300+. Hunt different numbers and see what works.

Puddlers are more wary of layouts since they are above, divers come in on the deck. But if you hunt a marsh it works ok. Concealment is key.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm confused..are you diver hunting or coot hunting? :huh:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu May 02, 2013 8:02 pm

goosehunter64 wrote:I'm confused..are you diver hunting or coot hunting? :huh:

depends on if he is swatting. they tend to dive then.... :lol3:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:59 am

ohioboy wrote:
goosehunter64 wrote:I'm confused..are you diver hunting or coot hunting? :huh:

depends on if he is swatting. they tend to dive then.... :lol3:

Apparently... :lol3:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:58 pm

There really is no clear question... :huh:

Do you want to know about coots? Puddle ducks? Diver ducks? Layout boats?
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Iworkemintight16 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:15 pm

Haha no I am not talking about coots.. But where I hunt there are huge grassflats with thousands of coots with divers, gadwalls, and other puddles. I was seriously thinking about getting a layout boat to diver hunt on different sloughs on reservoirs. We luck up and have a flock of bluebills buzz the decoys, but they are always flying a hundred yards out along with cans, redheads, goldeneys, buffles, etc. Also we have mallards, gadwalls, and puddle ducks land out in the middle of the sloughs too!! Here are my questions. 1. SHould I put coot decoys in my spread to shoot ducks? not coots! 2. Will puddle ducks still decoy well with a layout boat made for divers? or does covering it up with fastgrass or some other camouflage work in big water? 3. Will divers still come in if you have it camouflaged with fastgrass? 4. How many decoys do you recommend to shoot divers?
Iworkemintight16
Newb

Postby boney fingers » Wed May 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Iworkemintight16 wrote:Haha no I am not talking about coots.. But where I hunt there are huge grassflats with thousands of coots with divers, gadwalls, and other puddles. I was seriously thinking about getting a layout boat to diver hunt on different sloughs on reservoirs. We luck up and have a flock of bluebills buzz the decoys, but they are always flying a hundred yards out along with cans, redheads, goldeneys, buffles, etc. Also we have mallards, gadwalls, and puddle ducks land out in the middle of the sloughs too!! Here are my questions. 1. SHould I put coot decoys in my spread to shoot ducks? not coots! 2. Will puddle ducks still decoy well with a layout boat made for divers? or does covering it up with fastgrass or some other camouflage work in big water? 3. Will divers still come in if you have it camouflaged with fastgrass? 4. How many decoys do you recommend to shoot divers?

1 if coots are around yes
2 no, shoot them when they make their first close pass, geese are a little easier
3 never tried it but I would guess yes
4 I dont believe you can have too many, but my wife has a differing opinion
boney fingers
hunter

Postby Willie » Thu May 30, 2013 2:11 pm

One of the places I hunt has a bunch of coots on it, and I will put out @ 60 coot decoys along with my divers. I actually used my coots on the river a couple times last season along with my divers and had good luck. It was blowing hard and i put the coots in one big tight knot and we had real good shooting.
Willie
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:47 pm

The layout boat will work fine for both kinds of ducks. Brush it up near shore, don't when you are in open water. We regularly shoot mixed bags over all diver spreads when we located in areas where both types of ducks like to travel or land. We have had divers work back into sloughs when we had diver spreads mixed with puddlers and vice a verse when we had the same spreads set up in open water.

Birds of a feather flock together!
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby JohnnyB30 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:19 am

ScaupHunter wrote:The layout boat will work fine for both kinds of ducks. Brush it up near shore, don't when you are in open water. We regularly shoot mixed bags over all diver spreads when we located in areas where both types of ducks like to travel or land. We have had divers work back into sloughs when we had diver spreads mixed with puddlers and vice a verse when we had the same spreads set up in open water.

Birds of a feather flock together!

Three man jon boat barely covered with a surplus camo net, we cut 5 greenheads 3 buffleheads, 2 ring-necks, 2 bluebills, 1 woody drake, and 5 BW teal in a 45 minute span. Open water 12-16' deep, transitioning from a slough into open water at the point. Mixed bag of about 60 dekes. Mallard GHG Mags, Black Mags, BW Teal as bag fillers, Buffles, Canvas and Goldeneye. The key is wind and visibility. We barely hit a call that morning. Watching how the birds work around corners and enter and exit coves and sloughs "can" set you up better than a 1000 decoys and pro level calling. I was pissed because we drove an hour and a half spent another 2 on the water setting everything up and limited before the sun burned the mist off. Stoked because it was absolutely the perfect storm. And my buddies dog acted like an ass........I stopped shooting a woodies when he is with me cause his dog just trashes them on the way in. Bought a net.....smh :fingerhead:
JohnnyB30
Newb

Return to Diver Duck Hunting