Repainting Decoys

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Repainting Decoys

Postby chasing the GREEN » Thu May 02, 2013 2:40 pm

Got a decent amount of old bill and can decoys that really need a new paint job. Ive never put out a diver spread before and am hoping to this fall. does anyone have ideas or tips on repainting? I like the idea of that UV paint but that would add up in price really fast, would almost be better off just buying new decoys at that rate.. other than that Id love some tips in general on set ups mixing in mallard decoys ect... been a puddle duck and goose hunter just trying to find some of those birds ive been missing out on..
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Re: Repainting Decoys

Postby therewillbeblood » Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 pm

we painted some crap "hot buy" mallards into buffies and put them on a line. basically just used black and white spray paint and used tape to make it look decent. in my experience divers dont care how nice your decoys look. the placement of the decoys and direction of wind are the key factors with them. i have found that a cross wind works best for divers and it helps to be set up on a point. our basic set up for them is a line of about a dozen with about 6 - 12 huddled at the up wind end. after that we place the puddlers in whatever spot makes sense spending on layout of our spot/lake.

small groups of divers (4 or less) dont seem to care as much about decoy placement but when we have bigger groups we have found they usually follow the decoy line perfectly and with luck try to land by the group at the end. all this being said the wind is a huge factor! it seems like we can only get bigger flocks to decoy with this set up if there is a cross wind!

final note, if you have any goldeneys around where you hunt i would strongly reccommend painting atleast 4 of your decoys black and white. in prior years we decoyed maybe 25% of goldeneyes that we saw. i bought some goldeneye decoys before last season and that number drastically increased (proabably 80%). and every time they decoyed it was to land right next to the goldeneye decoys.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Buffies are in general dumb as a box of rocks but tend to land by their own as well.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby chasing the GREEN » Mon May 06, 2013 11:24 am

Sweet, thanks for the input guys! Should make for a good little summer project repainting them along with a fresh paint job on the old john boat. Cant wait for the season to start up!
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Mon May 06, 2013 1:21 pm

does anyone know if there are any color scheme lists available for figuring out the best ones to use and such? Getting ready to repaint the bills and Cans but not sure what colors/shades to use
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Mon May 06, 2013 2:57 pm

no idea,
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Mon May 06, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm about to tackle the same project this year got about 60 decoys that are gonna get turned into divers I found this thread helpful for info and love the bed liner idea there doing there is also a link for another helpful thread in this one viewtopic.php?f=2&t=190323
Northcoast
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Mon May 06, 2013 9:19 pm

I am repainting some hot buy mallards this summer. I have about a dozen and going to paint 2 into hen buffies because I think you may get larger numbers of buffies to commit to a block of buffies in closer if you have some hens mixed in. The rest I am going to paint to be blue bills and create a block of decoys on a net. I am going to use the truck bed liner as the black and some flat white enamel paint and then a flat clear coat to protect the paint.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue May 07, 2013 4:16 pm

I just finished doing all the black areas on the decoys. I used the rust oleum truck bed liner those other threads kept talking about, I wont lie there is way more of a sheen than I was expecting... wondering if maybe multiple coats would help that, make it worse, or not change it. Maybe it will dull down after it sets longer idk, but in the sun there is a definite shine to it and the shade you can even see a bit of one too... who knows though. would the non gloss clear coat cut the sheen down or not have any effect?
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby vlb » Tue May 07, 2013 7:56 pm

chasing the GREEN

This might help you out.
www.stoneypt.com . They sell a decoy painting manul.
vlb
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Wed May 08, 2013 2:25 pm

chasing the GREEN wrote:I just finished doing all the black areas on the decoys. I used the rust oleum truck bed liner those other threads kept talking about, I wont lie there is way more of a sheen than I was expecting... wondering if maybe multiple coats would help that, make it worse, or not change it. Maybe it will dull down after it sets longer idk, but in the sun there is a definite shine to it and the shade you can even see a bit of one too... who knows though. would the non gloss clear coat cut the sheen down or not have any effect?

Keep me updated!! I'm gonna get going on mine soon here I will post pics when I do get started
Northcoast
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Wed May 08, 2013 4:02 pm

I am going to try adding a few coats to a few of them, and on another few I will paint over the liner with some sort of either flat black or a black primer. I'll let you know what i think keeps the shine down best
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Thu May 09, 2013 2:08 pm

Just finished doing all the white on them the flat white that was listed in the link above worked great, no shine covers well. I will give it another coat though to be safe. I did a little experiment with the black though because I was not happy at all with the amount of shine I was getting. I took 3 of the ones I did with the truck bed liner aside. I left the first one as is with the bed liner. The second I ruffed up really good with some fairly coarse steel wool. The third I roughed up then re-painted with the flat black. Id have to say the best was the repaint then the scuffed, the plain bed liner had way too much shine, even my buddies who don't hunt instantly noticed the shine to it and asked "are the real birds really that shiny?" Unfortunately I did all of them with the bed liner off the bat so im not sure how the flat would turn out on its own.
I will be doing the grey primer on the backs of drake bills and possibly the body of my hen Cans.. still very unsure how I want to attack the hens..

Side note, when it comes to diver spreads, what are opinions on hens? Use an equal amount, turn a few into drakes, or the large majority into drake? My Cans are currently half and half, my bills are almost half and half.

I have some before pics on my phone, ill try and get them on here and show the afters as well.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Thu May 09, 2013 3:13 pm

Thank you very much for the update with your findings!!! In my opinion when it comes to a diver spread the more white the better!! I have been tossing this around a bit myself and I have been kinda leaning toward 8 drakes to 4 hens but to be honest I don't think it would make much difference as some People hunt over white jugs with a little black paint..but like I said I feel going drake heavy is probably more practical
Northcoast
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 pm

That was my exact line of thought on the whole drake to hen ratio. I think for realism you would want some hens but I think you are dead on where it is the more white the better.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat May 11, 2013 8:36 am

In my non-professional, non-diver hunting opinion, your thought is along the same as mine. Have hens to make it realistic, but the more white you have, the more chances you have for distant birds to spot your spread.

I'll also be painting some storm fronts this year into divers so I'm paying attention to this as well.

sent from a phancy fone
Last edited by goldfish on Sun May 12, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Sat May 11, 2013 10:35 am

we usually put our magnum canvasbacks on the end of the spread for visibility (all drakes). and then the clump closer to us is usually 50/50 hens and drake bill decoys. this also seems to help pull it puddlers too. the white decoys can eaily be seen 2x as far away as the hens or puddler decoys.
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:51 pm

I think you guys are dead on with the hen to drake ratio. I hunt for anything but my spread is mainly divers I would say I have a 2 to 1 drake to hen ratio on the redheads, bluebills and cans but I also have a 12 line of all drake goldeneye and 6 drake buffies but I tend to see atleast a few hen buffies hanging with a large number of drakes so I am going to get those made up here soon. Hopefully to add some realism
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting