Duck Decoy Painting

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Duck Decoy Painting

Postby luie b » Fri May 03, 2013 4:31 pm

I've got some old decoys that I want to paint but am wanting to just repaint them as mallards but wondering what kind of paint to use on them?
luie b
hunter

Re: Duck Decoy Painting

Postby LanceM » Sat May 04, 2013 10:48 am

You can find lots of different methods and paints in the archives. Somewhere on here someone gave this list of paint colors that I saved on my phone. These are the little bottles of acrylic pain in the craft section at Walmart. They sell for about a dollar each.

Here's the color list:
Metallic green and metallic blue for the head and wing patch.
Browns- Burnt Umber and Coffee Bean- I ended up toying around with these a little bit, but they were close enough for me
white- wicker white
yellow- "darkest shade of yellow they have"
Grey- two shades, one dark and one light.
***Krylon flat clear coat (1311)

If I remember correctly I used the lighter brown much more than the darker one. For most of the drake bodies, I wound up mixing the grey and the white together half and half-ish. Just make sure you clean them good before hand, paint them up, and get the clear coat on as soon as possible. I ended up doing about 3 coats of clear just so I didn't have to worry about beating paint off too soon. It's a pretty easy process and I kind of enjoyed it. I really enjoyed shooting a pile of ducks over them afterward. I'll try to get some pics posted later. Good luck! And check the archives- My decoys ended up just fine for gunners. Look around for a while and you'll be amazed at how lifelike some of these guys can paint a decoy.
LanceM
hunter

Postby loon » Thu May 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Parker paint's in Green Bay Wisconsin will sell you a kit of actual durable decoy paints for whatever species you would like to make them including mallards phone # (920)494-9676 its also listed as Parker coatings . I have bought the bluebills kit a few times it even includes step by step instructions with a photo of the decoy as to put which paint where for the artistically challenged.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby luie b » Sat May 18, 2013 11:07 am

LanceM wrote:You can find lots of different methods and paints in the archives. Somewhere on here someone gave this list of paint colors that I saved on my phone. These are the little bottles of acrylic pain in the craft section at Walmart. They sell for about a dollar each.

Here's the color list:
Metallic green and metallic blue for the head and wing patch.
Browns- Burnt Umber and Coffee Bean- I ended up toying around with these a little bit, but they were close enough for me
white- wicker white
yellow- "darkest shade of yellow they have"
Grey- two shades, one dark and one light.
***Krylon flat clear coat (1311)

If I remember correctly I used the lighter brown much more than the darker one. For most of the drake bodies, I wound up mixing the grey and the white together half and half-ish. Just make sure you clean them good before hand, paint them up, and get the clear coat on as soon as possible. I ended up doing about 3 coats of clear just so I didn't have to worry about beating paint off too soon. It's a pretty easy process and I kind of enjoyed it. I really enjoyed shooting a pile of ducks over them afterward. I'll try to get some pics posted later. Good luck! And check the archives- My decoys ended up just fine for gunners. Look around for a while and you'll be amazed at how lifelike some of these guys can paint a decoy.

do the acrylic paints have too much shine on them? i had thought about using rustoleum enamel on them that comes in the little cans but I used them on geese and they're kind of expensive
luie b
hunter

Postby LanceM » Wed May 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Make sure you get the matte finish. If I remember right, a lot wont say matte, but there will be some marked gloss. Make sure you dont get gloss. Otherwise the paint didnt shine at all. I was worried about it shining after I sprayed on the krylon clear coat, but I have no complaints about how they turned out. I did a pretty quick and simple paint job on mine and killed plenty of ducks over them. Motion trumps paint job any time.
LanceM
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed May 29, 2013 11:56 am

loon wrote:Parker paint's in Green Bay Wisconsin will sell you a kit of actual durable decoy paints for whatever species you would like to make them including mallards phone # (920)494-9676 its also listed as Parker coatings . I have bought the bluebills kit a few times it even includes step by step instructions with a photo of the decoy as to put which paint where for the artistically challenged.

I use Parkers olive drab for my boat, and I've used their decoy paints in that past ... but now, rather than buy those expensive little cans of Parker Decaoy Paints, I just go to Home Depot or Lowe's paint department. Take a decoy (or some feathers) with you and match paint colors and buy paint by the quart. You'll be able to paint up your dekes three times for half the money.

I use white to over-emphasize mallard drake ringnecks, speculum and tail trim, and, obviously, to brighten up goose dekes. Get a quart of flat black for geese and other trim areas on ducks. If you get the right gray it works on both ducks and gesse (but get a small can of tanish buff for feather detailing), and some deep brown/auburn for mallard breast and back trim. Need two shades of green (heads and bills) but they can be smaller size cans.

This is cheaper and easier than mail ordering a bunch of little paint cans that dry up and get used up in a hurry.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:32 am

black board paint is awesome for not shining. the paint guys will make up colours for you now. my canoe is done with it no shine at all. the wee test pots from the local paint shop are good value for money and take care of minor repair jobs.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:49 am

luie,
These may or may not help. They were downloaded many years ago from a website named "Takem" which later took them off the site for some reason. "Takem" actually had a step by step how to paint 'em section on the website, but took that down as well.

These are walmart and homedepot colors that are applicable to repainting dekes. Here is everything I had in my decoy paint files. The stores may still have these paint numbers or may have substituted different brands. It's been 6 or 7 years since I used this info and repainted any dekes.
You should be able to right click on the image and print for your retention or save to a file on your computer. FWIW:

click on images to enlarge for better reading
Decoy paints 2.jpeg

Decoy paints.jpg

Pintail colors-page-0.jpg
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:18 pm

I ended up going with walmart acrylics here a while back and they look pretty good. Put several coats of clear coat on them and I think they'll hold up well.
luie b
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:28 pm

I found this video about a week ago and i think your going to love it. Id recommend using a clear coat afterwards. Please "Quote" and tell me what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSJxBft7DVM
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting